Crazy, but I want to know how to shrink muscle?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Hypertrophy is done through moderate weights at higher reps. Up your weights to the point you can do at the very most 5 reps, more like 3 though and 5 sets with a solid 60seconds between sets.

Yes, you can lower the weights and do lots and lots of reps and lose bulk but you won't likely retain the definition you want.

i fail to see how going to a strength training routine is going to do what OP wants it to do...

I haven't finished my coffee so I actually tried to make sense of it for a second..

i am half way through cup two and I can't figure it out...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    OP, wow: you’re stunning!

I wouldn’t change a thing, but I’m thinking that maybe lowering your body fat % might help. Anyway, I have a really difficult time gaining upper body strength, so I’m in awe. I hope you want to change your appearance because it’s what *you* want, not because of some comments people made out of either jealousy or awe at your awesomeness.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Hypertrophy is done through moderate weights at higher reps. Up your weights to the point you can do at the very most 5 reps, more like 3 though and 5 sets with a solid 60seconds between sets.

Yes, you can lower the weights and do lots and lots of reps and lose bulk but you won't likely retain the definition you want.

i fail to see how going to a strength training routine is going to do what OP wants it to do...

I haven't finished my coffee so I actually tried to make sense of it for a second..

i am half way through cup two and I can't figure it out...

I’m about a third into my coffee and I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. Oh dear.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, how far into your competition prep did you get?
  • Zoey2120
    Zoey2120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I was only a few weeks out from competing. When the things happened with my family I just stopped everything. Now I am just trying to get down to a smaller look. My body fat is only at 19% as it is right now. So I think it's going to be tricky to get the look I want.
  • Zoey2120
    Options
    I almost am thinking to just stop training up body period for a while & see what happens.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think you look good at the minute, you seem to have a feminine shape despite being well-muscled. Just give people who make comments that make you feel self conscious a fierce death stare. I'm sure in time if you stop putting your upper body under as much stress with your workouts, then you will lose some muscle. You clearly know what to do to rebuild in the future if you change your mind.

P.S. sorry to hear about difficult times with your family.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Less strength training, lower your weight a little - maybe even do body weight for awhile? lower your protein intake a little if you previously were on high protein and up your cardio.
    Maybe go back to beginner work outs until you hit your goal. :)

Wrong info.. U can drop your water and fat weight threw yr diet. U still need yr protein fats lower yr carbs.. An up yr rep range. Use medium heavy weight not to light so u can perform 12/16 reps. On yr last set drop the weight an rep to failure u will see the difference. High reps light weights is not a myth... But try to understand don't go to light needs to be moderate so u feel u had a good busted work out..
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an experienced figure/physique competitor, then your bulk is likely just body fat. How big/small you look will always depend on your intake. You can train for hypertrophy/strength/endurance with different rep ranges obviously, but you'll always lose size at a deficit no matter what rep range you do.
  • Zoey2120
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Unless you're an experienced figure/physique competitor, then your bulk is likely just body fat. How big/small you look will always depend on your intake. You can train for hypertrophy/strength/endurance with different rep ranges obviously, but you'll always lose size at a deficit no matter what rep range you do.

Well I have been as low as 16% body fat & was all muscle & that was fine for a show. But not how I want to look on a regular basis.
  • Zoey2120
    Options
    blue736 wrote: »
    Less strength training, lower your weight a little - maybe even do body weight for awhile? lower your protein intake a little if you previously were on high protein and up your cardio.

Wrong info.. U can drop your water and fat weight threw yr diet. U still need yr protein fats lower yr carbs.. An up yr rep range. Use medium heavy weight not to light so u can perform 12/16 reps. On yr last set drop the weight an rep to failure u will see the difference. High reps light weights is not a myth... But try to understand don't go to light needs to be moderate so u feel u had a good busted work out..

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Because I do love to lift & I would hate to give it up all together. I just need to lighten up on the weight & add more reps perhaps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I am scratching my head about

Isn't this the formula for hypertrophy? Medium weight and more reps?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    The best way to cause muscle atrophy is NOT to use that muscle at all for a long extended period of time. That doesn't always translate to the desired look that somebody wants though.
    Reduce you upper body exercise and use less resistance when you do. Then reassess a month later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    While I think you should try to reach the "look" you want for yourself, looking at your picture, if I ran into you at a coffee shop I would be thinking "I wonder what she does to carve out that fine work of art of a body". I would even be tempted to ask but, like most, people would never have the nerve. Just thought I would tell you that this is what the majority of women would also think- the looks you get are ones of awe and admiration.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Since you put muscle on easily, I assume you lift. What is your routine?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

what?

so people that are not body builder who bulk put on all fat????
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This will not help her accomplish the goal of reducing muscle mass.
  • SideSteel
    Options

You will lose weight in a deficit. Not necessarily size.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    To the OP -- I have a few things to say here but please understand that my intent is to help.

First of all I think your best means of creating the look you want is to lose bodyfat. To be clear I think you look great, but this isn't about my opinion of your body. I do think you look above 19% and given the goal that you have (looking more "lean" or "tone") dropping bodyfat further would be the next step.

If you are convinced that the issue is muscle size and not fat mass, then I would cease training whatever muscles you want to atrophy. So rather than trying to alter rep ranges/programming, I would simply stop lifting with whatever muscles you're trying to shrink. That's going to be the most effective/rapid way of accomplishing this.

And I'm only providing that info in case you decide to go that route. I think it's a mistake, but I say that because I don't think it's muscle size contributing to your perception of the issue.

If/When you decide to return to training those muscle groups, I would bring total volume down and keep that quite low.