hmmm......so I guess this could end up being a fitness relat

Options
Any SEastern US pool owners out there? My husband and I are looking at a house with an inground pool. I have a co-worker (you know, one of those know-it-alls) that is constantly bashing it saying that he would NEVER in the rest of his life own a home with a pool. That they are SUCH headaches and are extremely expensive to keep up. I've done a lil research and have gotten estimates (from various online questionairres) that say it could cost you $20-50 per month for chemical upkeep and up to 60 mins a week worth of work for cleaning (of course provided you don't have issues with the pump or cleaner). This seems like a relatively small sacrifice to me to have your own pool (and exercise station) for my kids and friends/ family to enjoy. Living in the SE (Ga.) we have very long summers! I think we'd use it more often then not. Any thoughts???? Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I say do it. He could just be a lazy person that doesn't like any extra chores. My grandparents have had a pool for the last 40 years and my grandfather doesn't have to do much at all to maintain it and has never ever complained and they live in FL.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!

We have an above ground pool. 15 x 52. I do spend roughly 45.00 a month on chemical and about 45 mins weekly cleaning, checking filter, vacuming. So your co workers estimates seem to be right on. But my husband and I have decide that we are going to go bigger and better. It is sooo worth it!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I say gor for it....60 minutes per week to clean a pool I dont think it bad.......and if you can afford the $50 monthly....then I say deffiantely yes

Georgia can be hot.....and its a whole lot better than using a community pool
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Couple schools of thought on this. I've known people who loved their pools, and I also knew an older guy who got so fed up he literally called in a dumptruck and backhoe and had his in-ground pool filled in with dirt. If you'll use it, and enjoy is, and you can control access to it then more power to you.

I live next to a river, and that's the best IMHO. Always there, zero maintenance,,, love it.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    GO FOR IT!

We have an above ground pool. 15 x 52. I do spend roughly 45.00 a month on chemical and about 45 mins weekly cleaning, checking filter, vacuming. So your co workers estimates seem to be right on. But my husband and I have decide that we are going to go bigger and better. It is sooo worth it!

My co-worker says it was HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS....this is the research I did online that said $20-50. But like I said before, he is one of those kind of folks that know everything there is to know about everything, the best way to do everything, has to have the best things, and wayyyyyyyy dramatizes everything!!! I think we would absolutely love it and that my son wouldn't even mind helping with those chores! I have a 7 y.o. who would swim everyday, all day if he could and a 5 month old. I love to swim myself and find it to be FANTASTIC exercise, plus I pretty much worship the sun. We are always outdoors doing something! This would just give us an opportunity to cool off! I like it...... :happy:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and can only used it about 3 or 4 months a year but it was totally worth it. I never minded doing any of the cleaning because when you're done you can grab a float and just relax. There is always free entertainment right in your backyard. Does your know-it-all neighbor have a pool? There is no way we ever spent hundreds of dollars on chemicals a month. I say go for it! I miss my pool so much.
  • ktcarr82
    ktcarr82 Posts: 18
    Options
    Well, I say go for it...I mean, how else am I supposed to come over and swim????