Choosing a gym. advice?

Options
4 months and 45lbs in I'm finally taking exercise seriously again.

I sold what equipment I had to make space for my new car so it's time to pick a gym for the first time in about 7 years.

My goals are mostly strength training along with general athletic/movement capacity.

Hit golds gym for my first of 3 trial days last night and had a good time, it's a newer gym with all modern equipment. Pretty well sorted with free weights but a bit short on space. I wouldn't mind taking occasional classes like I used to. Would cost about $40 a month. Short drive from work but opposite direction from home and every where else I frequent.

Next up is blue moon fitness, a local chain that has a lot going for and against it. It's cheap ($10 a month) and blocks from home between home and work. A friends wife goes there and loves it. The bad is lots of reviews complaining about rude staff and bad billing tactics. It's also one of the new "lunk alarm" gyms. No grunting no dropping weights. Not great for a big guy doing strength training right? Not much free weight equipment or space.

Last is omaha barbell, it's in the next town over and a significant drive if I'm attending 3-4 days a week. 20-30 minutes atleast.

Cost is between the two others and it's a real deal strength training gym that trains competitive athletes. Has tons of free weights and other equipment understands the point of a "war cry" and probably won't freak out over a dropped dumbbell.

They also have an $8 daily pass fee for non members.

So the safe choice is probably Golds, went to them years ago they have a decent reputation good equipment, they are still a "real gym" even with all the amenities and are less than 5 minutes from work.

But in thinking Blue moon might just do for most of the volume of my training then I can make the trip to omaha barbell perhaps weekly for heavier work and specific training and form correction.

Anyway... I will hit Golds twice more then try Blue moon for their free pass then omaha barbell before I decide.

Replies

• amwood1528
    amwood1528 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're looking for in a gym. For me I look for class and sauna at a minimum; if it doesn't have that, I'm not considering it lol. Some people look for gyms w/ daycare so they can bring their kids or cost. But, it seems you already have your mind made. However, I would see if your friend's gym have something to offer; see if they have a trail period. Remember most people write reviews because they had a bad experience or because they get some incentive for writing a review.

Good luck
    Ms. Doubleu
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For me the commute to true strength training gym would be worth it.

I make a 50 minute commute six days a week to my gym despite many options far closer, just for the best coaching and equipment
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No one can answer but you. For me, distance and opening hours are the most important factor, I simply have very little free time, so every minute counts, unless the gym is within 10-15 minutes from home and open on weekends and very late evenings, I cannot go, would rather run and do bodyweight training at home (which I have done for long periods in the past). For someone else price might be the deciding factor. Or equipment. Or friends who go there. And so on.