protein bars or shakes better for you??

Options
jlabrum16
jlabrum16 Posts: 22 Member
I generally don't get enough protein because I'm not a big fan of a lot of big protein foods so I try to add in protein bars or shakes. But I'm wondering which one is better overall for me?? The shake seems like the better option , but I tend to go for the bars more because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Is one better absorbed in the body than the other??

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Get your protein from whole foods and rely on shakes or bars out of pure convenience, if you must.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think the main difference between shakes and bars is that bars also contain fats and carbs, while protein powder doesn't ( or at least not as much). So, whatever works best for you. Maybe shakes when you're at home and bars when you're out and about?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    oned34563 wrote: »
    What happens if you have more then ten protein bars a day?! Will you gain weight and be fat?

You'll most likely have some digestive issues. If 10 protein bars keeps you at maintenance or a deficit though-no you will not "get fat".

• wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to do shakes mixed with whole fruit or water at the gym or after. I only eat a bar if I'm at let's say hockey away and there's no healthy option. Bars are generally more calorie dense than a shake. I can have a shake and salad and still have carbs available for let's say a piece of fruit later.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I generally do a bar if I'm working or out and about, and a shake if I'm home, it's more a matter of convenience for me