The surprising benefits of cutting back on sugar

Options

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was actually able to hold the vomit down long enough to read past this:
    Don’t be alarmed—but something’s hiding in your food. From the cereal you had for breakfast to the dressing on your salad to the ketchup on your fries, an addictive substance is lurking in many foods that you’d never suspect.

So, don't be alarmed, but HERE IS THIS HUGELY ALARMING THING THAT WE'RE INTENTIONALLY GOING TO DRAMATIZE IN ORDER TO MAKE YOU TOTALLY ALARMED!! IT WILL BE ALARMING AT HOW ALARMED WE'LL MAKE YOU!!!

BUY OUR STUFF, AND CLICK OUR SPONSORS.... AND BE ALARMED!!!

Sugar is not evil. Fin.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    "Added sugar drives your insulin levels up, messes with your metabolism, and causes those calories to turn right into belly fat."
    crodjv6c7zkq.gif

I take nothing in the MFP blogs seriously.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    "Added sugar drives your insulin levels up, messes with your metabolism, and causes those calories to turn right into belly fat."
    crodjv6c7zkq.gif

The only thing I consider taking seriously is the recipes.

Because noms.

~Lyssa
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    crodjv6c7zkq.gif

The only thing I consider taking seriously is the recipes.

Because noms.

~Lyssa

Agreed. Some of the recipes look amazing. Everything else? Not so much.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    They forgot to mention that cutting out sugar will end world Poverty

The thing is the things in that article that do have some merit are basically the improvements in health that you can get by losing weight (getting to a normal weight range)and exercising/keeping active. As always it's this blinkered view that you just concentrate on one thing and it will be unicorns and rainbows. It's about your whole life and your whole nutrition not one demonised ingredient in isolation.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Another worthless blog promoted by MFP.

It's because I don't fear sugar like the boogeyman it's made out to be in the article and:

My blood pressure went from 137/84 resting as a fat boy to 90/57 just 2 weeks ago as a healthy male.
    I went from high liver enzymes as a fat boy to normal as normal weight male
    Cholesterol improved all around from 225 to 164

The horror!!!!

You gon die.

Seriously though... sugar is not evil.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of correlation touted as causation. A lot of "links have been found" being used to say that lowering sugar WILL reduce risks.

That's like saying, more wildfires occur when people swim outdoors. Technically it's true (both are increase in the summer) but we can't claim a link between them.

If you've met protein and fat goals and fulfilled all your micronutrient needs, what's wrong with enjoying something sweet -- even added sugar?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    crodjv6c7zkq.gif

:heart: this gif
  • kuutio
    kuutio Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is this swedish writer named Ann Fernholm that wrote a book about sugar and the damage it makes. I dont think there is a english version of it, shame. It was really interesting and had lots of research material to back her theories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kuutio wrote: »
    There is this swedish writer named Ann Fernholm that wrote a book about sugar and the damage it makes. I dont think there is a english version of it, shame. It was really interesting and had lots of research material to back her theories.

Don't worry, there are plenty of misinformed English and American people who are writing similar books, as well. I'm sure Ms. Fernholm's book isn't much different.
  • kuutio
    kuutio Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Could someone please explain why sugar is good for you? I am apparently misinformed because i have always think that sugar=bad :/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Could someone please explain why sugar is good for you? I am apparently misinformed because i have always think that sugar=bad :/

Since it's essential to human life?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Sugar is literally in your blood at all times
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

It is a bit lacking in data and probably not very up to date. UK guidelines for women are < 24 g of added sugars per day.

Since I cut added sugars, including sugar alcohols, out of my diet I have noticed such a change in my health that there is very little to argue against giving up sugar. (Cutting sugar out completely is very difficult - lots of food label reading required. I'm not 100% added sugar free but well into less than 30 g a week on a bad week.)

Why not give it a try for a month and see how you feel?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

It's not bad on its own. The overindulgence is, just like overindulging in anything.

For me, it also seemed to contribute to my acne problem. I've tried to scale back on sugar intake overall (mostly switching from a mentality of "chocolate in all the things!!!!!" to "chocolate in things that are treats") and my skin is much clearer now. Plus the sugar contributes extra calories that I didn't want to afford while losing weight.

I am not saying sugar causes acne...that's not the takeaway here. Correlation and causation are different things.

Sugar is found in basically everything, including "healthy" stuff like fruits and veggies. If you really wanted to avoid it completely, I think you'd be living off ice water, lol.

~Lyssa
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

You don't need to eat it at all, but it can make things palatable, act as a preservative, reduce freezing point, add colour and several other things which is why it's been used in cooking for a century or several.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked my sugar. But there's been regular blurbs every week in my Sunday paper, written by different
    nutritionists and dieticians etc. . And each and every week there is something written about the negative impacts of sugar and how we all have to reduce it..

Where are they getting their info from, that the majority of them are on the same page with this issue.

Disclaimer: I'm not jumping on the evil sugar bandwagon, as I'd find it near impossible to give up fruit, dairy and chocolate :noway: