Logging food

Options
So I need a little help guys. When I eat things sometimes i dnt know the best way 2 log it. For instance, i ate some spinach dip someone made last wk and didn't know which option to choose and how to measure it...i have no idea what ingredients was in it. Same thing for lasagna or any homemade dish like that..any advice?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Find something similar and log more than you actually ate.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What Tex said. I usually do either that or choose a restaurant version thinking it's probably worse than homemade!
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have often found a recipe on www of the item I ate. I copy the url, click on the Recipe link in MFP and paste it in the field. I let MFP compute the calories and I enter the result in my log.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks yalll! Great advice! I will do that..peterjens what i ate was homemade by someone else so i didn't knw the recipe
  • simply_bubbz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So say if I cook barbeque chicken for my daughter and then I taste a piece of it how would I measure something like that? Or should i even log that?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think we all do our best to find foods that are easy and accurate to log, however it's not always possible. I think everyone above is right. Sometimes you just have to pick the best one possible and run with it.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If it's just a small bite of something you could just quick add the calories.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What Tex said. I usually do either that or choose a restaurant version thinking it's probably worse than homemade!

That's exactly what I do. Most restaurant foods are terribly high with calories. They'll use the high fat everything that's why their food tastes so good. While at home we'll tend to pick the lean or low fat ingredients.
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    If it's just a small bite of something you could just quick add the calories.
    so how much would you add for that? I wouldn't even know where 2 start
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So say if I cook barbeque chicken for my daughter and then I taste a piece of it how would I measure something like that? Or should i even log that?

Log it as 15-30 grams of chicken and stop nibbling...I say that because those bites are so hard to log it's just easier not to do it.
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Log it as 15-30 grams of chicken and stop nibbling...I say that because those bites are so hard to log it's just easier not to do it.

You are so right!!!!!! Its just a bad habit :( but thank you I needed that advice!