GI/GL - A Hopefully Constructive Discussion

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I found GI to be absolutely worthless for me. Steel-cut oatmeal is supposed to be low-GI (55), but it spikes my blood sugar much worse than higher-GI foods. I can't eat plain steel-cut oatmeal without experiencing BG excursions into the 250's, while most other foods only cause me to go up into the 160's.

This is what makes nutrition an art form almost!

I have a glucose tester from my old diabetic days. I still test once a week or after a new food just to see how it hits me.

I love steel cut oatmeal. It is very easy on my glucose level

Add Splenda and it goes up. I respond to that artificial sweetener and some don't.

Funny how some of this is very specific to the individual.

I completely relate to how different it can be from one person to the next.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 great points. Read the paper yarwell posted on satiety. There was some very interesting information about the expectation of response to food. While this was in regards to satiety, I do have to wonder if it applies to other types of responses as well. The expectation even affected physiological response.

In regards to some snacks not being satiating even if they're calorie dense, there were some points in the piece which might address that issue as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree--great papers that yarwell linked.

I noticed that the first one referenced Brian Wansink's work, and I've found that interesting and to some degree true for me, even though it's the kind of thing that often gets poo-poo'd around here.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'll throw one of my prefered sources of nutrition information into the list, Alan Aragon's take on Glycemic Index:
    alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'll throw one of my prefered sources of nutrition information into the list, Alan Aragon's take on Glycemic Index:

Beautiful. A lot of what people post to support their stance on the forums seems to come from Ludwig and his colleagues. It's good to see so much research from other sources on the subject. What do you call a scientist who designs experiments to get results that will confirm his own bias?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Beautiful. A lot of what people post to support their stance on the forums seems to come from Ludwig and his colleagues. It's good to see so much research from other sources on the subject. What do you call a scientist who designs experiments to get results that will confirm his own bias?
    sugartax_lustig.web-19.jpg

Apologies for not having anything other than a picture to contribute. I don't bother with GI/GL. I just eat what makes me not hungry and do my best to hit my protein goal.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Apologies for not having anything other than a picture to contribute. I don't bother with GI/GL. I just eat what makes me not hungry and do my best to hit my protein goal.

Isn't that Lustig? :::shudder::::

Ludwig is another dude. Here's his picture. For reasons. LOL.

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

Coincidentally, they are both pediatric endocrinologists.

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Protein increases glucose but to a much lesser extent than carbs. of course it also depends on the volume of the macro also. Anyone here a diabetic. If yes, you would see how your glucose is affected by the macro you eat. I mentioned this before, a great study was done on 15,000 people and it was found that hyperinsulinemia (insulin resistance) comes way before irregular glucose as seen by the fasting blood glucose test.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Protein increases glucose but to a much lesser extent than carbs. of course it also depends on the volume of the macro also. Anyone here a diabetic. If yes, you would see how your glucose is affected by the macro you eat. I mentioned this before, a great study was done on 15,000 people and it was found that hyperinsulinemia (insulin resistance) comes way before irregular glucose as seen by the fasting blood glucose test.

How is that germane to the topic of this thread?

• senecarr
    Options

A fundamentalist I suppose.

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options

How is that germane to the topic of this thread?

I was answering a post above and neglected to put in the quote. Plus, the insulin response may be the key even though your glucose may not be affected. However, you guys, I guess don't have a glucose meter.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

Oops. Got my crazies mixed up. I guess it's still relevant though. Doesn't Lustig corner studies to fit his ideas, too?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

Oops. Got my crazies mixed up. I guess it's still relevant though. Doesn't Lustig corner studies to fit his ideas, too?

Yup.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I eat what makes me not hungry as well. I'd imagine most successful folks do. Why fight your body/brain. :drinker: cheers.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

What's evidence is there that Robert Lustig is not credible, out of interest? He treats one of my friends' children for a pituitary tumour and she can't praise him highly enough. He's one of the few endos in the world who is actively seeking an answer for hypothalamic obesity.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

What's evidence is there that Robert Lustig is not credible, out of interest? He treats one of my friends' children for a pituitary tumour and she can't praise him highly enough. He's one of the few endos in the world who is actively seeking an answer for hypothalamic obesity.

He might be a fine endocrinologist in some respects, but other people have posted Alan Aragon's refutation of The Bitter Truth enough for you to know he's not sciencing properly.

And that will be the last word on that. This is not turning into a sugar debate.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/988127/scientific-review-of-lolstigs-fat-chance/p1

• senecarr
    Options

Ludwig_Photo_1.jpg

He might be an expert and knowledgeable in his treatment. Heck, Linus Pauling was one of history's greatest physicists, but he also advocated magic woo energy of vitamin C curing all the things.
    I think Lustig has succumb to the golden hammer problem: when all you have is a hammer, a lot of problems look like nails.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Also, at the risk of derailing my own thread, following on what senecarr said about the golden hammer problem, I could not find one other source which explains the cause of hypothalamic obesity in the way in which Lustig does. He almost seems to claim as if sufferers are storing fat in a calorie deficit, while all other sources seem to cite pituitary disregulation to the point of slowing down metabolism colliding with a large increase in appetite.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Also, at the risk of derailing my own thread, following on what senecarr said about the golden hammer problem, I could not find one other source which explains the cause of hypothalamic obesity in the way in which Lustig does. He almost seems to claim as if sufferers are storing fat in a calorie deficit, while all other sources seem to cite pituitary disregulation to the point of slowing down metabolism colliding with a large increase in appetite.

I think you're allowed to derail your own thread!

Thanks for starting this one - I have been trying to figure out exactly what the GI/GL meant (or if it meant anything) and this has been excellent information.