Over my calorie goal...

I feel like total poop because I've gone over my calorie goal for today.. I was stressing out a bit at work, and they always have these biscuits out, so I went to have one. It was in the evening, so all I had left to eat was dinner, and I calculated that having two serves of biscuits would fit into my daily calorie goal. Unfortunately I misread the seving size as "two biscuits" instead of one...so I had two servings, therefore 4 biscuits.. instead of 2. It took me a bit over. Anyway, for some reason I just got really hungry, though I had dinner a little bit ago...and I'd rather go over my calories than starve myself, so obviously I had to eat which took me over even further ;\

I know this is me being a bit too paranoid, but I've just had a cruddy day, and having the log tell me "if you ate like this every day, you would weigh *a number indicating I'd gain weight* in 5 weeks" is quite disheartening. Ughhh

Replies

• Don't be so hard on yourself :) One day going over won't make you fat, just like one day under your goal won't make automatically thinner. I understand where you're coming from though....just shrug it off and press on toward your goals!!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    I had a day like that today. I've been so good over the last 6 months and have hit my weight loss goal, so I'm at maintenance. For some reason I was soo hungry all day today. When I got home I headed straight for the leftover mac n' cheese I made the other night. It's definitely not a low-cal meal, but I didn't care and had 1.5 servings because I was starving. Almost 700 calories! I know what you mean though, seeing that red negative number isn't a very good feeling.

Ah well, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I figure I must have needed the food if I was feeling that hungry. Tomorrow's a new day.

(BTW, it was the tomato-basil mac and cheese recipe from the Bell Plantation (PB2) web site. The combination of tomatoes and basil and peanut butter sounds odd, but it is delicious. My husband couldn't stop raving about it, and he's usually all "where's the meat" when I make meatless dishes. Next time I think I will only use 1/2 package of pasta instead of an entire bag it calls for.)
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    I look at that note differently. Even when I go WAY over, it doesn't seem like I would gain that much, and I NEVER feel like I could do it every day for five weeks. So when I go over and I see that, it feels like a little love note: "You would have to do this EVERY SINGLE DAY for FIVE WHOLE WEEKS just to gain x pounds!"

I guess since MFP has given me the control to lose the weight, it just doesn't seem like that much.

Hope that perspective helps you not to beat yourself up.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    There are days like today that will happen in life. Ignore that little cheerful blurb at the bottom of your food diary though. It's just an estimated projection and you DON'T eat like today everyday. I doubt it will have much impact on your losses other than possibly some water retention if there was much sodium involved in the foods you ate.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Don't be so hard on yourself! It was a slip today...you'll be more aware of what you're reading and eating tomorrow.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    I read this on some post, "You aren't who you were yesterday: you are who you were last month." One day doesn't really matter... The long term matters :) Just think about evening out the calories over the next week or so :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member

I know this is me being a bit too paranoid, but I've just had a cruddy day, and having the log tell me "if you ate like this every day, you would weigh *a number indicating I'd gain weight* in 5 weeks" is quite disheartening. Ughhh

So don't eat every day like today. It's ONE day. One day does not make every day like today for 5 weeks. ONE DAY!! You'll be fine.