Working From Home

skylerblue4
skylerblue4 Posts: 13 Member
Hello, friends -
About a year ago I started MFP and had wonderful success. I never felt better in my life, eating well, moving a lot more, and dropped weight in the process. It was awesome.

In January, I had to leave my job, pull my teenager from high school (he was being badly bullied) and commit to homeschooling him. I found a work-from-home job so I could be here with him and still earn. It's crazy hours and sporadic work. But it's work.

The problem is when I lost the structure of my full time work life, I lost so much more. My life no longer goes by the clock (8 am oatmeal, noon whatever healthy lunch I packed, fruit packed for snacks). Every day is different, not structured at all. In addition, the gym was right by my work, which is 20 miles from my home, so I stopped going.

Now I physically feel just like I used to before good health took hold. Tired, worn down, no energy. But without the structure I used to have, I'm not quite sure how in the world to get it back. That schedule kept me disciplined. Now it's grab and go and get back to my computer work, getting to bed at 2 a.m. to hit a deadline, and then helping with Algebra and Biology and whatever else.

SO! I'm wondering if there are others out there with any tips on how to keep the focus while working from home with widely divergent hours, without the same schedule day to day.

Thanks for your input!
Sky

Replies

• brazenberry
    brazenberry Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Sky - I work from home as well and just started MFP so am still figuring out how I will address the inevitable challenges. One of the things I've had to reluctantly admit is that working out first thing in the AM is one of the only ways to guarantee I get a workout in, esp. due to deadlines and other errands that pop up during the day. Is there a way you can get up early in the AM (perhaps when your son is still sleeping) and work out then?

I also recently discovered these 8 minute workout apps (free) that are pretty good - Sworkit has good demo videos of each exercise as well. If I can't get to the gym in the AM, my plan B is to do a few of these throughout the day during my "stretch" breaks.

Best of luck!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    More importantly, how is your so doing? As a veteran public school teacher, I am alarmed at a situation so dire that a student had to leave school.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    structure is still available. but you have to make your schedule now. so you can still have your 8am oatmeal while your son is working on a project. you can both have a 10am snack. add nutrition to part of his curriculum if possible and then you both can learn :smile:
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    I have been working from home for the last 7 years so I can completely relate to the schedule and structure issues. It is hard and I still struggle with trying to find some balance. You are welcome to add me as a friend.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2015
    I can't be as active as I like because of my knees, but I also work from home a couple days a week. I take dance breaks. I like to dance, so I put on a couple of songs and take dance breaks throughout the day. You could do the same with some intense exercise...you don't have to worry that you are sweaty :smile: unless your kid complains

There are many 10 minute workouts you can scatter throughout the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxjKZcOT17E

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEdJRRndkQ

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    What does everyone do that they can work from home? I wish I could homeschool my kids.
  • tudoroaks4
    tudoroaks4 Posts: 26 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    structure is still available. but you have to make your schedule now. so you can still have your 8am oatmeal while your son is working on a project. you can both have a 10am snack. add nutrition to part of his curriculum if possible and then you both can learn :smile:

This is what I was thinking. You can absolutely create structure in your life even if your job requires some flexibility. Meals, working out, your son's homeschooling schedule - these things can all be planned out.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Planning ahead is your best friend. Keep portioned snacks and meals in the house that you can easily heat up or serve up. Do you use a food scale? It significantly cuts down on my mass meal prep. All you need is 1 day a week to portion things out, cook up some hard boiled eggs, make a casserole that you can freeze, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    My dd has always been homeschooled. It is a flexible lifestyle.
    You can create a schedule for your ds and yourself. It can be strict or more a general routine. It can take awhile to find your groove. It sounds like you would benefit from more structure and planning.
    I plan meals for the whole month at a time and pre-log my whole day the night before or in the morning. Breakfast is usually yogurt, fruit, a sandwich or leftovers. Lunch is leftovers or a sandwich. I do make something different most nights for dinner. I do sometimes use my slow cooker.
    I eat about an hour after I get up. I don't always get up at the same time. Lunch and dinner tend to be at the same time every day. I generally exercise in the evening and do dvd's or workout videos off of you tube or walk. I go to bed at midnight or 1 AM.
    If you work in the evening maybe you'd do better scheduling exercising/homeschooling early in the day.
    My dd sometimes joins me for exercise. Maybe your ds could be an exercise partner.

There is a newly formed homeschool mom group here-
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106556-healthy-fit-homeschool-mamas
  • skylerblue4
    skylerblue4 Posts: 13 Member
    I really appreciate the replies. Yes, I see now that I must create the structure that is not here on its own. I love the idea of incorporating nutrition into the homeschooling, too. Also, I guess I never thought scattering small workouts throughout the day could work, but why not? It certainly would help.

"SherryTeach;32804999"]More importantly, how is your so doing? As a veteran public school teacher, I am alarmed at a situation so dire that a student had to leave school.

My son is doing so much better being homeschooled, Sherry. Standardized schooling does not necessarily work for all kids, and to lose the distraction of all the outside negativity he was dealing with has been a Godsend. Kids are pulled from school for bullying a lot more than you realize. It's a real problem. And trust me, I tried very, very hard to do all I could to keep him in, working with the school. Pulling him was a desperate act. But this is better for him. His sister, on the other hand, just graduated from the same high school I pulled my son from, and she did very well. Kids are different.
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    I also work from home and know the struggles. I try to plan ahead as much as I can and move whenever I can. Some days are going to be better than others but you have to try to be dedicated no matter what. Also know that a treat Evernote and then is fine. You have to reward yourself sometimes. Glad to hear your son is doing better. Feel free to add me as a friend. It is nice to see there are other home based workers out there.
  • MelissaRettie
    MelissaRettie Posts: 48 Member
    What does everyone do that they can work from home? I wish I could homeschool my kids.

Hey MadHatter!!! I work from home as an online fitness coach through Beachbody! I love it because it is really rewarding work and the income possibilities are endless! Send me a friend request and I can tell you more about it. Same goes for anyone else wanting to change careers or have some extra income, just send me a friend request!