Weird and surprising things about weight loss

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
I've lost 40 pounds in the past 8 months and just hit my goal weight for the first time today. Along the way, I've discovered that I have more energy, feel more comfortable in my own skin, and have gained both health and confidence.

However, there are just some *really* weird and unexpected things that happened, too. Such as:
  • My feet got smaller. So did my wrists. I've had to buy smaller shoes and resize my watch and bracelets.
  • I lost 3 or 4 clothing sizes everywhere else, but my underpants size stayed the same. How is that even possible?
  • Hiking is way more fun.
  • Compliments range from uncomfortable to annoying. I can't help but hearing even well-meaning comments as "wow, you were really fat before!"
  • On a related note, people keep trying to fix me up on dates. What, you didn't think I was worth dating before?
  • Those hard plastic seats on the metro are really uncomfortable without all that extra padding on my butt.
  • Shaving my underarms without cutting myself is much harder now.
  • I still can't shop in the regular clothing section. Weight loss or no weight loss, I'm still a short-torsoed 5'1" and only petites will fit properly.
  • People (especially men) hold doors open for me and make eye contact with me as I walk by. They used to not even notice me on the street. Now that I take up less space, they seem to actually see me.
  • I get drunk from far less alcohol. Really gotta watch that intake!

What weird or unexpected things have you noticed?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have seen your icon around, congrats!

I have lost 68lbs and, though I still have a ways to go, I have noticed:

-Intermittant jogging is a thrill for me.

- Some other larger ladies at work have seemingly inched their way out of my circle and no longer want to chat.

- Second on the feet getting smaller.

- (TMI: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!)
    Sex seems to go... deeper? Like, I have less fat in my pubic area, so... yeah. I think that's way weird.

- I can't find a swimsuit for larger ladies without my boobs swimming in their cups.
  • segacs
    Options
    - I can't find a swimsuit for larger ladies without my boobs swimming in their cups.

Check out brands like Freya, which make swimsuits that follow bra cup sizing.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I've lost 40 pounds in the past 8 months and just hit my goal weight for the first time today. Along the way, I've discovered that I have more energy, feel more comfortable in my own skin, and have gained both health and confidence.

However, there are just some *really* weird and unexpected things that happened, too. Such as:
    • My feet got smaller. So did my wrists. I've had to buy smaller shoes and resize my watch and bracelets.
    • I lost 3 or 4 clothing sizes everywhere else, but my underpants size stayed the same. How is that even possible?
    • Hiking is way more fun.
    • Compliments range from uncomfortable to annoying. I can't help but hearing even well-meaning comments as "wow, you were really fat before!"
    • On a related note, people keep trying to fix me up on dates. What, you didn't think I was worth dating before?
    • Those hard plastic seats on the metro are really uncomfortable without all that extra padding on my butt.
    • Shaving my underarms without cutting myself is much harder now.
    • I still can't shop in the regular clothing section. Weight loss or no weight loss, I'm still a short-torsoed 5'1" and only petites will fit properly.
    • People (especially men) hold doors open for me and make eye contact with me as I walk by. They used to not even notice me on the street. Now that I take up less space, they seem to actually see me.
    • I get drunk from far less alcohol. Really gotta watch that intake!

What weird or unexpected things have you noticed?
    ETA: MFP is a jerk and won't bold the bit I won't bold the bit I want it to. I'm referring to the sitting on plastic seats, lol.

I had to quote this for the bolded. I cannot sit on a wooden or plastic chair, or even the floor, without it being a (literal) pain in the butt.

I've never had issues with cutting my underarms, but I think that just tells me I didn't gain much fat there as my weight went up.

Also, way to go on reaching goal!

~Lyssa

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add to the discussion, except to second the smaller feet and wrists, even after as little as 20-25 lbs off. I just wanted to say congratulations and the highest of fives to you :)
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I throw away certain leftovers so i don't eat the extra calories. I still have the guilty conscious over the old "starving child" bit (in my family it was real with my granparent barley eating during the holocaust during WWII)
  • segacs
    Options
    Thanks, @Wiseandcurious !

@andympanda, I had the same guilty conscience too about leftovers. But I've had to learn to get over it. I'm a 5'1" woman. I'll share my food or ask to take the rest home whenever it's practical, but it isn't always. I can't possibly finish a standard restaurant portion, so yeah, into the trash it goes sometimes. I have to remind myself that it's not doing anyone any more good on my hips than it is in the bin.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly finish a standard restaurant portion, so yeah, into the trash it goes sometimes.

Taking leftovers home from a restaurant is the lifestyle of a peasant. Kudos for not doing it.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @segacs I've never really been really big, but I have been pear shaped (almost slob-ish in appearance) for some time. That has all changed in the last 6mo - I lost 11kgs and can comfortably run a 10k and even move heavy stuff around the gym. I second some of your points - my butt hurts now if I sit on a bench or solid surface too long. Nothing fits, I can feel my underwear sliding down the inside of my trousers during the day and I have to wear a belt even with shorts. I'm getting hit on, getting setup, friendly smiles and eye contact constantly.

@ogmomma2012 - on a guy, with some weight loss in that area, an inch or so is gained, too.

• segacs
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Taking leftovers home from a restaurant is the lifestyle of a peasant. Kudos for not doing it.

Says who? I do take food home sometimes, if I can.

Actually, I probably waste less food now than I used to, thanks to my habit of pre-logging my week and only grocery shopping for what I am going to eat.
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Says who? I do take food home sometimes, if I can.

Peasant
  • segacs
    Options
    Peasant

Excuse me, I have fields to toil in.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't dissapear evenly. My upper body has shed the pounds but my target area (gut and thighs) has barely changed shape at all. My collar bone has become more defined but I've barely lost an inch waist-wise ):(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I swear I am getting far more bug bites and rashes now that I've lost weight.
    My butt hurts more often after sitting awhile even on softer surfaces.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Peasant

Excuse me, I have fields to toil in.

No kidding. Those beans aren't going to pick themselves and lord knows I'm not going to do it. And get rid of that mole that's digging up my yard too!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »
    @segacs I've never really been really big, but I have been pear shaped (almost slob-ish in appearance) for some time. That has all changed in the last 6mo - I lost 11kgs and can comfortably run a 10k and even move heavy stuff around the gym. I second some of your points - my butt hurts now if I sit on a bench or solid surface too long. Nothing fits, I can feel my underwear sliding down the inside of my trousers during the day and I have to wear a belt even with shorts. I'm getting hit on, getting setup, friendly smiles and eye contact constantly.

@ogmomma2012 - on a guy, with some weight loss in that area, an inch or so is gained, too.

You'd think that would be major motivation for my hubby... but nah... :/
  • Hynniew
    Hynniew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds in the past year or so. Some surprising consequences:

I no longer want to hide my body... but I feel a lot colder without the extra fat, so I reach for a sweater anyway

I lift weights, and I feel stronger than ever... and now the grocery store baggers suddenly offer to carry my groceries to my car for me. Where was this helpfulness when I was weak and out of breath?

People are a lot friendlier to me in general. I swear my personality hasn't changed, but random people in stores, at my kids' school, or at work are just a whole lot nicer.

I'm still amazed when I step out of the shower and the towel reaches all the way around me. Wohoooo!

• ncboiler89
    Options
    Hynniew wrote: »

I lift weights, and I feel stronger than ever... and now the grocery store baggers suddenly offer to carry my groceries to my car for me. Where was this helpfulness when I was weak and out of breath?

Because there are fewer groceries.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    GWehsling wrote: »

You'd think that would be major motivation for my hubby... but nah... :/
    Sometimes the effort isn't worth it for such a small marginal gain.

All of my fitted caps are loose to the point they are almost unwearable.