Bulk or cut? Stubborn fat!!!

Options
I am at the last 2-3 lbs that I want to lose. My goal is to be able to see my abs finally, but no matter what I do I can't seem to lose the last bit of fat over my abdomen, I would also like more muscle.... But abs are my top priority! Help!

Replies

• Atchar
    Atchar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Liveloveswimming, Have you tried adding hiit 3 times a week after weight training?
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Atchar wrote: »
    Liveloveswimming, Have you tried adding hiit 3 times a week after weight training?

2 times a week but yes!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if seeing abs is your number one priority then you should not bulk as you are going to gain fat which is going to make ab definition more difficult to see.

how long have you been dieting?
    do you use a food scale?
    what is your current lifting regimen?
    how many calories a day do you eat?

• LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if seeing abs is your number one priority then you should not bulk as you are going to gain fat which is going to make ab definition more difficult to see.

do you use a food scale?

I've been dieting for quite awhile now probably 3-4 months I moved up my calories so I'm in a smaller deficit because someone said it might help with the last bit of fat. I use a food scale and lift 6x a week doing abs 2-3x a week and HIIT at least once a week. Currently I eat anywhere from 1,700-2,000 cals a day and my maintenance is about 2,150.
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you use a food scale?

I've been dieting for quite awhile now probably 3-4 months I moved up my calories so I'm in a smaller deficit because someone said it might help with the last bit of fat. I use a food scale and lift 6x a week doing abs 2-3x a week and HIIT at least once a week. Currently I eat anywhere from 1,700-2,000 cals a day and my maintenance is about 2,150.

is your lifting program a structured one or one that you designed on your own?
    do you eat back 100% of exercise calories? Or are you using TDEE method?
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options

do you use a food scale?

I do a push pull legs set I found online! And I don't eat my exercise calories. I mean like 1700-2000cals total for the day!
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options

do you use a food scale?

I do a push pull legs set I found online! And I don't eat my exercise calories. I mean like 1700-2000cals total for the day!

Oh and I do iifym but I eat clean probably 80% of the time!
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you use a food scale?

Oh and I do iifym but I eat clean probably 80% of the time!

I don't think its possible to do IIFYM and eat clean 80% of the time...
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you use a food scale?

I would say keep cutting until you get your weight/body fat down to where you want it to be. Then once you are there you can either think about doing a recomp or bulk.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options

do you use a food scale?

I would say keep cutting until you get your weight/body fat down to where you want it to be. Then once you are there you can either think about doing a recomp or bulk.

Okay how long do you think that would take?
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you use a food scale?

what is your current weight and goal weight?
    do you know your current body fat%

• LiveLoveSwimming
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 135lbs right now and idk about goal weight... Haha as soon as I can see my abs and which I'd think would be 130-132ish.... And idk body fat % for sure but I've been estimated at about 17%

do you use a food scale?

• LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    dwx8aw1wpqlj.jpg
    zztbivj0dkff.jpg
    I'm 135lbs right now and idk about goal weight... Haha as soon as I can see my abs and which I'd think would be 130-132ish.... And idk body fat % for sure but I've been estimated at about 17%

do you use a food scale?

Ignore the dirty mirror but this is me flexed and unflexed...
    I want my abs to be visible unflexed...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would put you around 18% to 20% which is pretty lean for a female…

is your current calorie intake for .5 pound per week loss or one pound per week loss…?

honestly, you may want to consider a bulk cut cycle …because when you cut back down your abs will be more visible...

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You're super close! Whatever you decide congrats on your success so far!

I'd say continue with your cut. Then bulk this winter.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I vote maintain for the rest of the summer, and bulk in September. Unless you want to bulk in bikini season. You look lean.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

arditarose wrote: »
    I vote maintain for the rest of the summer, and bulk in September. Unless you want to bulk in bikini season. You look lean.

yes, I agree OP ..if you decide to bulk wait until end of August and start then ..

you could keep cutting over summer or do a small deficit/recomp….
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options

is your current calorie intake for .5 pound per week loss or one pound per week loss…?

honestly, you may want to consider a bulk cut cycle …because when you cut back down your abs will be more visible...

yes, I agree OP ..if you decide to bulk wait until end of August and start then ..

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will wait until August before starting a slow lean bulk! I eventually want to compete in May next year.

But for right now I'm not sure if I should cut or maintain? I would love to continue building muscle but it is bikini season so I would like to stay lean and maybe get some abs. What would you suggest?
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options

Oh and right now my cals fluctuate so much but I'm set for .5lb lost a week!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will wait until August before starting a slow lean bulk! I eventually want to compete in May next year.

But for right now I'm not sure if I should cut or maintain? I would love to continue building muscle but it is bikini season so I would like to stay lean and maybe get some abs. What would you suggest?

I would say keep eating in a calorie deficit that results in about .5 pound per week loss….