WHAT YOU GUYS DO WHEN HAVING A CRAVING??

Options
I seem 2 cheat the most when I'm hungry in between meals and craving something bad like fried chicken or a burger etc..i then start nibbling on things I dnt need and think to myself "its just a bite it won't hurt" but then I start nibbling on diff bad things!!! What can I do when I'm having hunger pains and temptation is getting to me!!!!!! Please help

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,065 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I analyse it.

If you're craving fried chicken or a burger ... are you after the salt? Will eating a pickle take care of that craving?

Or are you after protein? Will a chicken (protein) on wholegrain sandwich with lettuce, tomato and cucumbers satisfy the craving?

Sometimes cravings for food are just an indication that you're a bit dehydrated. Have a glass of water, or cup of tea or coffee. I've been trying different teas to see what flavours I like (without milk or sugar) and have discovered that different flavours seem to help a bit at different times. For example, if I'm after something sweet, there's a rooibos tea I like. If I'm having hunger pangs but not really craving anything in particular, there's a lemon ginger tea I like. I also like flavoured (but black) coffees.

And on the subject of flavour, sometimes that's what I'm craving ... flavour. And if I have a small but flavourful Thai soup, or a spicy Indian dish, or add extra pepper and oregano to whatever I'm eating ... problem solved. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I eat what's in my plan and no more. I don't get cravings, 'cause I feel satisfied on what I eat.

If you're getting hunger pangs between meals, you're probably not eating enough. Is your goal set too aggressively?
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try and give myself that thing that I am craving, like fit it into a meal or something! Like tonight I wanted steak so I had steak. Next week I am making fried chicken as well (my kids request lol) I just make sure my side dishes are healthy though and I also fit in a bit more exercise so I can have that fattening treat! And try to keep those type of treats occasional and not everyday, hope this helps!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,065 Member
    Options
    Sometimes cravings can also be a boredom thing. Going for a long walk, getting involved in a hobby or project, deep cleaning the house, or something along those lines can change the focus from food to whatever it is that you're doing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I pre-track the day before and follow the plan. (no need to think about food because I already measured and accounted for it the day before.) Feelings of huger and boredom pass. Feeling good about my decisions carries me through most of the time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't fetishise any food enough to think I crave it.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat

even if it's just a nibble

get into the habit of doing that and you make considered opinions

also if I'm craving chicken .. I'll eat it
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something I go for a glass of water; and then I will enter in what I'm craving and decide what it would add to my caloric intake. I will also eat a pickle instead - especially if I find I am craving something salty. When I know I am craving something sweet; I might keep a bag of bite-sized candies around; but, they still have a lot of calories in them. I think if you don't 'feed' that craving you are going to fall off the wagon sooner or later and over-eat. I also 'pre-track' and that helps me decide what, if anything, I can eat that might not be necessarily good for me. I also drink "Sparkling ICE" flavored water and that really helps with my cravings. Helps get in that daily water intake that is also good for you. Some people don't like it because it is carbonated and therefore has a 'bite' to it. Starting off with the lemonade was best for me. There are 17 ounces in a bottle. I keep my fridge full of them; and they are 'cheap' . . . just $1 apiece. My granddaughter got me started on them as well as starting on MFP and I love this site.
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fruit or water
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. You are most likely not hungry but just feel hungry.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i try and substitute the naughty cravings - so for example - im craving icecream, i freeze two bananas, add a bit of caramel spread (1tbs), blend thouroughly wallah, banoffee icecream, fo a fraction of the calories - fools your brain. i do the same with cheesecake, with alpen light cereal bar for the bask and quark ( fat free soft cheese) for the filling with added yogurt for flavour. done the trick so far.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    i try and substitute the naughty cravings - so for example - im craving icecream, i freeze two bananas, add a bit of caramel spread (1tbs), blend thouroughly wallah, banoffee icecream, fo a fraction of the calories - fools your brain. i do the same with cheesecake, with alpen light cereal bar for the bask and quark ( fat free soft cheese) for the filling with added yogurt for flavour. done the trick so far.

Two bananas are about 210 calories (depending on weight). 1/2 cup of ice cream varies, but comes in around 200-230 calories, I believe. How is this a fraction of the calories?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat it. if it fits in my calorie quota for the day. if not, often drinking a sparkling ice will satisfy cravings or a shot of whip cream or two.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Being hungry and having a craving are two different things. If I'm hungry between meals I either eat something that fits in my day, or if I don't have much room I'll eat a cucumber, carrots, maybe with some salsa.
  • mrsmelissajewell
    mrsmelissajewell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely able to just ignore a craving--it's ALL I'm thinking about so it's impossible to just ignore it. Distractions are helpful--in the winter I hop in a hot bath (haha, hard to reach the fridge from the bathtub!) and in the summer I may take a quick walk. But when I CAN'T just drop everything and avoid my craving, I start entering the calories that I want to eat at the moment. Usually when I see that my "little" snack will cost me several hundred calories I'm able to choose something light, like baby carrots, or a pickle, or air-popped popcorn (yum!!!). Then I do what other posters have mentioned and I find a way to incorporate a healthy version of what I'm craving into my meal plan so I still get the flavored I love without breaking the calorie bank. It's still a daily struggle, but it works most of the time!
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I'm in full on craving mode I go to the shops to buy high quality ingredients to make it from scratch but in a small portion. I'll try and go shopping for it just after a meal so I can resist buying too much. That way I know I can make healthier alternatives (such as reduced fat mozarella to go on a pizza base. The effort I go into making it either acts as a deterrent or means that I don't move straight onto the next craving. I'm glad I've never fancied fried food though. It's not something in my cooking repetoire!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I eat what's in my plan and no more. I don't get cravings, 'cause I feel satisfied on what I eat.

If you're getting hunger pangs between meals, you're probably not eating enough. Is your goal set too aggressively?

This. And I fit in my favorite foods/some indulgences into my plan (as I'm sure segacs does).

If I think I want something between meals and know I've been eating enough, then I think about what's really going on or distract myself/go for a walk/work out/get busy on something else.

On rare occasion I'll think about it, realize I did a huge amount of exercise or something and probably am genuinely hungry, and then I'll eat.

I find that what I tend to want to eat is determined by (1) how I usually eat, and (2) not getting really hungry (i.e., having too aggressive a deficit, skipping meals when I'm not used to it and am not someone that works for)--I've found, for example, that when I get stuck at work til midnight without any dinner is one of the few times I will actually want really high calorie, super carby/fatty, lower nutrient foods, especially if they are quick. I find in those cases that once I eat a regular meal it does away.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Two bananas are about 210 calories (depending on weight). 1/2 cup of ice cream varies, but comes in around 200-230 calories, I believe. How is this a fraction of the calories?

Yup, your brain might be fooled but your body isn't. ;)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something and I think it's just the food talking ( ;) ) I have a glass of water and wait for 10 or 15 minutes. A lot of times that does the trick. :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly restrictive, so I don't get that hungry between meals, and if I really want fried chicken or a burger, I'll have fried chicken or a burger for my next meal or sometimes in the next few days.