If every day were like today... You'd weigh... Whats the deal?

Options
MinmoInk
MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
So I understand that at a lower weight you have to eat even less to shed the lbs, right? MFP has me at 1200 calories to lose .5lbs a week! I was hoping to lose at least 1.5lbs a week really.

Is this no longer possible? I know MFP is a guidelines and isn't perfectly accurate but I really don't understand how much I should be eating to lose the weight I would like. .5lbs would make me feel like nothing is happening and would be so discouraging.

I guess... up my activity level by a ton? I have it on sedentary. I mostly have to sit in front of a computer or go on walks for my job.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Like.. my weight? I'm 5', and i'm 113.5lbs currently. I don't know my body fat ratio but its probably awful. I still have quite a bit of fat, not toned at all
  • arditarose
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Like.. my weight? I'm 5', and i'm 113.5lbs currently. I don't know my body fat ratio but its probably awful. I still have quite a bit of fat, not toned at all

So the lowest healthy weight for your height is 105 ish. You shouldn't be trying to lose more than .5 lbs per week anyway. Anything else is too aggressive. What is your exercise routine? It is possible to change your body composition without losing any more weight.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    try to change it to "lightly Active"
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So the lowest healthy weight for your height is 105 ish. You shouldn't be trying to lose more than .5 lbs per week anyway. Anything else is too aggressive. What is your exercise routine? It is possible to change your body composition without losing any more weight.

Ohh! Huh, never really thought of it like that. I do only the elliptical right now. My heart rate jumps up very quickly so I'm trying to ease back into it... I recall I often went too high for my heart rate (I used a HRM) and I never knew how to cut back on how "hard" I worked out.

I *used* to do some weight training system from bodybuilding.com but I have not done that in a while. I just feel bad that its such a small amount of weight loss, but I understand what you mean.
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    try to change it to "lightly Active"

I dont want to lie :p
  • arditarose
    Options

Ohh! Huh, never really thought of it like that. I do only the elliptical right now. My heart rate jumps up very quickly so I'm trying to ease back into it... I recall I often went too high for my heart rate (I used a HRM) and I never knew how to cut back on how "hard" I worked out.

I *used* to do some weight training system from bodybuilding.com but I have not done that in a while. I just feel bad that its such a small amount of weight loss, but I understand what you mean.

When you are that close to goal, your TDEE is not as high as if you were very overweight, so to be in a deficit that would allow you to lose 2 lbs a week would not be healthy. For example, I'm 133 and my TDEE is about 1800 calories. If I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week I would need to have a 1000 calorie deficit...it's just, not possible. I'd need to eat way below 1200 and 1200 is the lowest recommended intake.

You should get back to your weight training. There is a body recomp thread going on right now that might be helpful to you (I am doing a recomp as well).
  • MinmoInk
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When you are that close to goal, your TDEE is not as high as if you were very overweight, so to be in a deficit that would allow you to lose 2 lbs a week would not be healthy. For example, I'm 133 and my TDEE is about 1800 calories. If I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week I would need to have a 1000 calorie deficit...it's just, not possible. I'd need to eat way below 1200 and 1200 is the lowest recommended intake.

You should get back to your weight training. There is a body recomp thread going on right now that might be helpful to you (I am doing a recomp as well).

Thank you very much. I'll have to check that thread out... yes I see what you mean about your TDEE. Your right about the weight training... I didn't see much of a change when I was doing it, and I was doing it with my father. He had a stroke so i'm pretty meh about it but I can't get that to me forever! I want to make a change in my body for good so dwelling on sad things doesn't work
  • arditarose
    Options

Thank you very much. I'll have to check that thread out... yes I see what you mean about your TDEE. Your right about the weight training... I didn't see much of a change when I was doing it, and I was doing it with my father. He had a stroke so i'm pretty meh about it but I can't get that to me forever! I want to make a change in my body for good so dwelling on sad things doesn't work

I'm sorry to hear about your father... :(

The thing about lifting is you need to have a structured program with a progressive overload.
  • MinmoInk
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about your father... :(

The thing about lifting is you need to have a structured program with a progressive overload.

I don't know what a progressive overload is, but I'll look it up! I used the program for weightloss on bb.com which was good, I even found alternatives for what equipment I didn't have. Now I just wont have someone to spot me. Hes alive and has his wits about him, but he lives away from us now. I appreciate your sentiment thank you!