Always Eating

Options
no matter what I do, I'm always day dreaming about food. My next meal, my next snack, even while I'm ACTUALLY EATING I'm dreaming about what I'll eat next. And when I'm full-to-bursting? Yep. I still want to just eat more. It's frustrating and it makes me feel powerless, but I just can't seem to overcome these impulses. I've tried focusing on my feelings when these impulses strike, and yes, I recognize the stress, loneliness, and exhaustion as pushing me to eat more, but I still can't seem to make a change. Anyone else feel this way? Any tips?

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about OA? There's an active group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101992-overeaters-anonymous

Another thing you might find helpful is "mindful eating." If you Google that term you'll find articles about it. Basically it's removing all distractions while you eat and concentrating on really enjoying what you are eating and being grateful for all the steps it took to bring it to your plate. Eat slowly to really taste every nuance of it. Think about the nutrients you are giving your body. When we crave food, we eat so fast we don't always ENJOY the food. There are also lots of articles out there about how eating triggers the pleasure center in your brain, and for some of us it takes more and more to trigger that sensation, especially if we are eating unhealthy foods.

If you can wean yourself from sugar and simple carbs and eat more protein and healthy fats, the cravings can decrease and you will feel more satisfied. Don't over-restrict how much you are eating, either.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mindful1.jpg
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this applies to your situation. However, I found a lot of good people in this group. And some really good suggestions of what to do when always hungry. :)community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10116158/binge-eating-disorder-b-e-d/p3 ( It might not open on page 1, but you can go back a couple of pages.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I'm in the exact same boat. I think, breathe, sleep, eat, not eat, dream food. Every day, every moment. My hobbies include planning my next meals for the week, cooking, planning meals and desserts, collecting recipes, viewing and looking through recipes, cooking and baking for people, looking at food at Farmer's markets/supermarkets/department stores/bakeries, collecting and hoarding food - and when I'm eating food especially during my cheat days I struggle to not eat until I'm bursting at the seams, and yet I still want to eat more!! :neutral:
    I guess its the enjoyment comes from the eating itself - I actually have mentioned to my loved ones that I feel sad when a meal is over and wish I could repeat the meal again! :no_mouth:

I found what really helped is to just look out for trigger foods. When I eat sweet/savoury junk food or very high fat, rich foods (rich Indian foods, etc) which are meant to be very morish - it triggers that monster in me where I get absolutely neurotic with food. So I try to avoid these things and I guess it somehow manifests itself in me hoarding and obsessing over food because I control it to the point I don't put it in my mouth.

I guess there are better ways of dealing with it, but at this point its either hoarding and obsessing over food and not blowing up in weight so I get time and space to find ways to better deal with it, or go ape crazy eating and eating my way into depression and obesity.