Struggling with eating too little when trying to lose.

Options
Joracr
Joracr Posts: 14 Member
all or nothing thinking. Yo yo from over eating to under eating.. Can't seem to find a healthy balance! Help!!

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you using MFP to calculate a suitable caloric intake for the day and following it? That might mean putting an extra snack in here and there if your meals are very small.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    If you go to the top thread in this section - the most helpful posts one, there is a link to a thread with a list of calorie dense foods in it.

Maybe trying to incorporate some of those into your eating plan would help.

I understand the difficulty in getting enough calories as I too struggle with it and found a lot of the tips offered in that thread helped.

Good luck.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself that you will be much more likely to stick to your eating plan if you eat enough balanced calories to satisfy and sustain you. Under eating inevitably leads to overeating and bingeing and then you're back in the yoyo!!!
    It's simply common sense!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. I wouldn't go more than 5-10% below maintenance calories average daily. This is the approach I've taken and lost about 10 pounds since the beginning of the year.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of getting used to a particular eating plan. When you are eating too little, what's the difficulty? Do you get full? Do you save calories for the end of the day and then not feel hungry enough for a huge amount of food then? (That's what I did at first.) If so, preplan the next day but add in foods earlier in the day, and some extras that you've been cutting--cook veggies with some olive or coconut oil or butter, putting a little cheese or some olives on your salad, increase your serving of protein or starchy carbs, that kind of thing.

I find once I get used to eating in a certain way (which usually takes a few days), it becomes easy.