What portion size of protein do you eat in meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 3 oz. if it's sausage up to 9 to 12 oz. if it's something like steak. I'm a meat lover. A "deck of cards" size portion seems ridiculously small.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I won't lie....if we're talking salmon...I can eat a 16oz salmon steak by myself. No shame. :P

Otherwise, I keep it between 4oz-8oz depending on the meal.
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat about 140-180g of protein for lunch & dinner. With the exception of breakfast & snack. I drink protein shakes for those.
  • johnelwell
    johnelwell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i look at mine on a daily basis more than by each meal, I am very interested in this topic and have done some research into it. I find that I disagree with the protein level that MFP recommends for me and at this moment I am using myself to test my maths. Suffice to say with the slight tweak I have done to my own diet I do not suffer hunger pangs and have lost 12 lbs in the last 5 weeks.
    Hope this helps
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    8-12 oz of meat protein per sitting. I have a daily macro goal of 200-225g.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I eat around 100-140g of protein daily, evenly distributed during the day... I have meat almost always for lunch and dinner and in the morning I eat greek yoghurt. My snacks don't tend to have protein.
    I won't have a meat portion bigger than 5-6 oz (150 g), but I eat with my meat other foods with proteins, like cheese, mushrooms, beans, etc.

I don't know if protein helps me lose weight, but it sure keeps me full longer.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I used to eat very little protein. Maybe one 2 oz. serving per day (a half serving). Now I eat 1-2 servings per meal. I eat a lot more fat now too. I was really heavy on carbs (runner and former vegetarian), but it made my blood sugar a roller coaster. Feel much better and more satiated with more fat and protein in my diet.

I'm very similar to this. I was advised by my trainer that I might be insulin resistant based on caliper readings (I've PCOS + hypo thyroid so not a mad suggestion). Based on this he suggested giving up wheat. I'd always noticed myself if I'd bread or pasta that I was very sleepy afterwards. So I've no (or at least very rarely) wheat products and keeps carbs pretty low. Like poster above this keeps me feeling far more steady.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually 3-4oz. More if it's fish like cod or catfish. My meals are usually around 400 calories.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    i look at mine on a daily basis more than by each meal, I am very interested in this topic and have done some research into it. I find that I disagree with the protein level that MFP recommends for me and at this moment I am using myself to test my maths. Suffice to say with the slight tweak I have done to my own diet I do not suffer hunger pangs and have lost 12 lbs in the last 5 weeks.
    Hope this helps

How did you tweak MFP, am curious, so how much protein per day is your goal?
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I keep thinking about portion in ounces and since so many think of it in grams, I looked it up. 1 ounce is about 28 grams, so now I understand much better what everyone said. I am grateful for the opinions here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At dinner, I usually have 6-8 oz of chicken breast. If I'm having hamburgers, I'll have 8 oz (two quarter pound patties). I had about 10 oz of pork tenderloin the other day. I am for a minimum of 100g a day.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    MFP put me ay 45g...............I aim for 60 to 100 qd. Meat serving varies 2 to maybe 6 oz. (if it's a great juicy steak!!!) but there's always cottage cheese, beans, yogurt etc...........
    I'm female, 61, 5'3"........
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps

How did you tweak MFP, am curious, so how much protein per day is your goal?

Click on My Home ---> Goals ----> Change Goals ----> Custom

Then you can alter all sorts of stuff including your ratios of Carbohydrates, Fat and Protein goals.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    4-12 oz per meal, depending on the protein.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Am curious if anyone else is starting to decrease protein in main meals and what amount we ideally should be eating? A deck of cards sized portion?

I find I'm eating more. a "deck sized" w/e is really just a snack. For a small meal I'm at 5-6 ounces. For a larger meal it might be double or more, unless it's a steak. If it's less than a pound, it's not worth doing.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I, generally, eat between 4-8 ounces of meat PER meal, not including breakfast.