Hypothetical question...

Options
Ok person A is male, has lost 14lb so far but only lost 3lb since March. Person A weighs 95% of his food and eats far too little (in my opinion) and wants to lose another 20-25lbs.

Person A should be eating 1850 cals a day to lose 1lb a week. He only nets 1300 with exercise and not eating much.

He hasn't lost weight in about 4 weeks. Other than the small possibility of inaccurate logging (he'd still have a crazy deficit though) what could be occurring here? As a hypothetical friend... How can I help hypothetical male?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    He needs to give it another month

And if still not losing I'm afraid it's logging issues so you can't rule it out

Either food in or exercise out but probably both

In the absence of any hormonal / thyroid condition of course
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    He needs to give it another month

And if still not losing I'm afraid it's logging issues so you can't rule it out

Either food in or exercise out but probably both

In the absence of any hormonal / thyroid condition of course

It's hard trying to help someone who just sees you as nagging. For all intents and purposes he is doing the right things. It worries me how little he nets on some days too. I eat more than he does and I lose weight fine.

I do wonder if he eats and drinks things that he doesn't log but he's really serious about tracking. He lost loads of weight a couple of years ago doing exactly the same thing. It's bizarre. Lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,206 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just a hypothetical question ... what does Person A do when Person B is not around? When Person A is left to his own devices ... out of sight?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Just a hypothetical question ... what does Person A do when Person B is not around? When Person A is left to his own devices ... out of sight?

Therein lies the question! Person B has to take Person A's word that what they are logging is right.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,206 Member
    Options

Therein lies the question! Person B has to take Person A's word that what they are logging is right.

Yep.

I had a partner once who ate very well at meals ... single servings, lots of veggies, and all the right things. Had everyone (but me) confused why he wasn't losing weight. But I knew about all the in-between-meal meals.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to help. It's up to Person A.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is very difficult to sustain, for a man. He is likely eating additional stuff to deal with the hunger, and that is more than he realizes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Yep.

I had a partner once who ate very well at meals ... single servings, lots of veggies, and all the right things. Had everyone (but me) confused why he wasn't losing weight. But I knew about all the in-between-meal meals.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to help. It's up to Person A.
    1300 calories is very difficult to sustain, for a man. He is likely eating additional stuff to deal with the hunger, and that is more than he realizes.

All of the above