Time to Stop?

Options
I told myself I'd stop the bulk when the calipers hit 15% - which they did today... but it's very suspicious. It would mean that while the scale stayed within one pound (actually a pound lower today) than last week), I dropped 5 lbs. of LBM. Which is impossible.

Measurement error today? Or is this the first time I've got the calipers right and it's time to stop?

It will be ten weeks of bulking Wednesday.
  • 7 pounds gained, both measured by the scale and by a rolling average of weights.
  • Squat 1RM* increased by 20 lbs.
  • Deadlift 1RM increased by 30 lbs.
  • Bench 1RM increased by 12 lbs.
  • OHP 1RM increased by ~10 lbs.

*These are all calculated 1RMs derived from ranges of 2 - 5 reps.

These are not incredible I know, but for me it was the difference between getting reps with 135 on the OHP over several sets and getting stuck at 120 for weeks at a time.

The only other thing I can think of is that I had a very active weekend and it's very hot, so I could be low on water and retaining some fluid subcutaneously.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Time to stop, measurement error or drink more water?

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Take another measure in a few days, to verify?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So that's a vote cast for measurement error.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So that's a vote cast for measurement error.

No, it is a vote cast for gathering additional data. No way to decide it if is error without actually checking the measurement again.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    I'm all for gathering additional data.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Can you see any of your abs or serratus? If not, then probably time to cut.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Can you see any of your abs or serratus? If not, then probably time to cut.

Serratus... like they're blanketed in snow, maybe. Very faint. No abs... which is why I started a bulk.

I actually hit my bulking goal of two plates on the bench press last night so I'm wrapping this up. Should have a little bit of time to get a small cut in before summer is through and then I can do it again over the winter months.

And I had some fractional plates in my bag so my new PR is actually 227 x 2. Hooray!