Home fitness equipment

Options
Hi guys, I want to start weight training at home. The local gym in my town is quite expensive for memberships and I can't really afford it. I live in a small town in Ireland and have a room in my house that I could use for equipment, I'm just curious - what equipment would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking I'll need a bench, barbell, dumbbells and weights. Would that be enough?

Replies

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to get into squatting, you'll eventually need a squat rack or power cage. I have a bench/weights, but I don't have a squat rack yet, and it drives me crazy that I can do anything else at home, but can't squat (I could do the lift over the shoulder to a certain weight, but now i'm lifting heavier, need a rack for it, so have to go to the gym for that).
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of something like the Strong Curves or possibly Deadlifts 5x5, just basic strength training to build up muscle!
    Excuse my ignorance, what exactly do squat racks do?
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you do stronglifts 5x5, you will eventually need it. To start, you'll squat with just the bar, and gradually add weights. Eventually the weight will get so heavy you can't lift the bar over your shoulders yourself, so the rack is used at this point. The rack holds the bar and you walk under it to get the bar on your shoulders for squatting.

If you aren't interested in squatting heavy, then this won't be a concern.

Racks are generally like this (different makes/models available though).

yq2ht5gbyr26.jpg
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Bench, rack and barbell with weights would be enough. If you're handy you could make your own rack/stands.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=diy squat stands
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You'd want a power cage/rack over a squat rack so you can bench in it with the safeties up if you don't have a spotter.

This is my setup:

Bench no shown.
    I also have a bunch of dumbbells and a door frame pull up bar since I can't use the one on my rack.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of body weight exercises you can do to get you underway... lunges, squats, push ups, pull ups, yoga, a few key pieces will help you get into the habit and get you feeling the way you want... a chin up bar, an exercise ball and a couple of kettle bells should be enough to whet your appetite... oh.. and a jump rope for cardio... once you are working out with these things on a regular basis and are feeling the gains have stalled... then think squat rack and bench... IF you search around you can find a good quality rack with Olympic weights ( up to 220 lbs.. 100Kg) that will challenge you for years to come... the picture above is a 1/2 rack... a full rack is actually a "cage" anyway a 1/2 rack can be found for probably less than a thousand US dollars.

the other stuff can be had for less than $200.00 I say.. spend the $200 and buid your determination on that... as the saying goes IF you are determined to achieve you won't let a few dollars stand in the way of you and success...

OF course... you could just buy some DVD's and get busy with nothing more than a TV and an exercise mat
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Keep your eye on something like gumtree for squat racks/cages - I've seen them going for about £150-ish, but you'll also need to keep your eye out for a bar and some weight.

My mate has one of these and it's really sturdy - http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf375-power-rack.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product+Search&utm_campaign=Google+Product+Search&gclid=CK_Yj-GfgMYCFTPKtAod9BUA-A
  • RayneScar
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    there are plenty of body weight exercises you can do to get you underway... lunges, squats, push ups, pull ups, yoga, a few key pieces will help you get into the habit and get you feeling the way you want... a chin up bar, an exercise ball and a couple of kettle bells should be enough to whet your appetite... oh.. and a jump rope for cardio... once you are working out with these things on a regular basis and are feeling the gains have stalled... then think squat rack and bench... IF you search around you can find a good quality rack with Olympic weights ( up to 220 lbs.. 100Kg) that will challenge you for years to come... the picture above is a 1/2 rack... a full rack is actually a "cage" anyway a 1/2 rack can be found for probably less than a thousand US dollars.

the other stuff can be had for less than $200.00 I say.. spend the $200 and buid your determination on that... as the saying goes IF you are determined to achieve you won't let a few dollars stand in the way of you and success...

OF course... you could just buy some DVD's and get busy with nothing more than a TV and an exercise mat

I've been doing bodyweight exercises on and off for years now, I'm basically just looking to take things to the next level! I have 2 11lb dumbbells at home that I've had for years now, and sometimes borrow my mum's kettlebells (she's obsessed with them tho so I can't take em home haha)

Thanks for the advice guys!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »

Mine is a full cage.

This is a half rack by the same manufacturer as mine:
    show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=Half_Rack_8__4f9849b46da44.jpg&newxsize=500&newysize=500&fileout=

My bar alone was 50$ and I got that at Play It Again, my plates and dumbbells were 270$ from CL (equalled an average of 0.56$/lb)

The OP is also in Ireland so a price range is meaningless for them based off what's available in the US.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have the option, buying weight plates that have handle holes in them mean you can use them for dumbell/kettlebell exercises, and save money and space in the long run. Just be mindful that they are made to fit the size bar you plan to buy, many of the ones with great handles aren't sized for an oly bar.
  • RayneScar
    Options
    UPDATE!

For the relatively small price of €134 (about a third of the price of joining the local gym), I got myself this! No excuses now :smile:
    804z1yrmo1af.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP you are spot on with what type of equipment..

EZ bar is wonderful and I am glad I bought one of those... I just bought a bench with the leg extension. I also bought pull bar to go over the door and resistance bands to go on the door...