I think it's time to cut

Options
I was bulking with MFP set to 2790 calories, plus eating back exercise. So most days I was consuming an average of 3400 calories.

I think a 10% to 15% decrease is what people recommend. So does that mean I need to take 85% of 3400 and set that as my new goal? Should I just aim for a pound a week initally and see where that gets me?

What's up? What do you guys recommend. Specifically coming off of a bulk would be helpful.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you were bulking, isn't 3400 above your TDEE? Shouldn't your cut goal be based on TDEE?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you were bulking, isn't 3400 above your TDEE? Shouldn't your cut goal be based on TDEE?

I'm not sure, I guess you're right.

If 3400 netted me .6 lbs. a week gained, then that's .6*3500 = 2100 extra calories a week, or 300 calories a day.

Does that mean my TDEE is closer to 3100? So then I'd want a 10 - 15% decrease from that, which would be about a 372 calories (12% decrease). So...

I'd want to be eating 2728 total calories?

With my current activity levels I'm tacking on 600+/- exercise calories as measured by my FitBit.

So then I need to work backwards again and take 600 from the 2728 and say, set MFP to 2100 and assume that I'll get 600 +/- calories added to that from exercise and activities?

So much loose math... so much room for error.

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~2800-3000 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

I'm not sure, I guess you're right.

If 3400 netted me .6 lbs. a week gained, then that's .6*3500 = 2100 extra calories a week, or 300 calories a day.

Does that mean my TDEE is closer to 3100? So then I'd want a 10 - 15% decrease from that, which would be about a 372 calories (12% decrease). So...

I'd want to be eating 2728 total calories?

With my current activity levels I'm tacking on 600+/- exercise calories as measured by my FitBit.

So then I need to work backwards again and take 600 from the 2728 and say, set MFP to 2100 and assume that I'll get 600 +/- calories added to that from exercise and activities?

So much loose math... so much room for error.

I don't think so. The 2728 (12% below your apparent TDEE) already represents your cut target and your TDEE already includes that exercise.

If you took another 600 from 2728, you'd be doubling your deficit.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So, right now my MFP is set to 2790, which I either hit or go higher than on most days net. My total consumption of calories is like I said, closer tot he 3400's.

If I want to net 2728, then I have to set my MFP to lower than that. Right?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    So, right now my MFP is set to 2790, which I either hit or go higher than on most days net. My total consumption of calories is like I said, closer tot he 3400's.

If I want to net 2728, then I have to set my MFP to lower than that. Right?

If you want to net 2728 all you need to do is keep track of calories in and calories out - you could set a goal for 5000 calories in - just don't eat em.