So, I hear that abs are made in the kitchen

Options
I keep reading that abs are made in the kitchen. Other than keeping a calorie deficit, what does this really mean? Are there certain foods that should be avoided or other foods that you must eat?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    No and no.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It means that you won't see the six pack until the fat comes off, and diet is the primary component of fat loss.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I actually hate that expression. Abs are built in the gym, like any other muscle. They are REVEALED in the kitchen. All that means is that you can have abs like steel cables and not be able to see them if you are eating a crappy diet. If you want visible abs, eat better.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No and no.
    bingo.

It means to maintain a deficit. That's all.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat any type of food. But obviously living off nothing but pizzas and Oreos isn't going to make you feel as good as having a healthy, balanced diet. You also don't HAVE to avoid any food either.

Everything in moderation. Also the longer you spend here, you will probably realise what fills you up, what triggers cravings, what makes you crash an hour later, and you will hopefully naturally start making healthier choices anyway.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I actually hate that expression. Abs are built in the gym, like any other muscle. They are REVEALED in the kitchen. All that means is that you can have abs like steel cables and not be able to see them if you are eating a crappy diet. If you want visible abs, eat better.

Since your abs are used daily anyway and if you do compound lifts you don't even need to do any ab exercises to get ripped abs. Just lose the fat over them. We all have 6 packs, most are just covered in a layer of fat.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I didn't say you had to do ab exercises. I do zero direct core training, and my abs are ridiculously strong.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are there certain foods that should be avoided or other foods that you must eat?

There are people here with insanely lovely abs, both men and women, who eat anything in moderation.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Since your abs are used daily anyway and if you do compound lifts you don't even need to do any ab exercises to get ripped abs. Just lose the fat over them. We all have 6 packs, most are just covered in a layer of fat.

Not really brah, i have very thin ab's. You can see from my photos I'm decently lean but still not actual separation in my midsection.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will continue to keep a deficit, workout and work on cleaning up my diet even more!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I heard that abs are made in the kitchen, so that's where I do my crunches.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

:)
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Nice logic :drinker:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

well put... except "eat better" sounds like some clean food elitism.... eat less (healthy deficit)