TDEE

Options
I keep seeing this abbreviation but I don't know what it stands for...could someone enlighten me please?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Total daily energy expenditure - essentially maintenance (including exercise).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure...i.e. your maintenance calories if you were to include all of your daily activity in your activity level. A lot of people use this method vs the MFP method because the TDEE method includes exercise activity in your activity level and thus an estimate of those calories are already included in calorie targets whereas with MFP, you log exercise after the fact and get calories to "eat back".

TDEE is a lot easier for many people who are consistent in the exercise...and it can be easier than trying to estimate calories out from exercise to "eat back"

Done properly, the two methods are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other for the most part. The problem most people have is that they don't compare apples to apples in RE to rate of loss goals, and people for whatever reason simply have difficulty grasping this whole concept of actually fueling your exercise activity.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How do people pronounce this acronym? I've been saying tuh-dee like tada only with an e sound.