How to lower heart rate

Options
leeh10
leeh10 Posts: 12 Member
Afternoon all

Anyone everyone the rock port walk test? (Walk a mile fast as you can)

I am curious to know how to lower my heart rate.. As my heart rate average over the walk is around 165bpm

Any advice on what exercise to do? Ie more walking, cycling?

Also if I loose weight.. Will my heart rate gradually lower?

Thanks

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Do aerobic exercise, it doesn't really matter what kind. Your heart rate will lower in time as your fitness improves. The more you do, the faster you will improve as long as you are recovering sufficiently between sessions.

Losing weight will help as your body will not have to work so hard to move.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    any cardiovascular exercise is going to help...that said, if you were just walking and you were at 165 bpm I would probably consult with a Dr...to me that means you probably have a pretty high resting HR. I do as well, and have to take a beta blocker even though I'm in very good physical condition.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Your heart is a pump made of muscle.

A lower heart rate is the result of an efficient pump moving more blood with each stroke.

A stronger muscle is more efficient.

To strengthen a muscle, you exercise the muscle.

Cardio exercise is the answer.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Heres a site to calculate your max heart rate;

brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

and this link explains heart rate training zones;

brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    There is your heart rate when you exercise. And a range to be in, that is a percentage of your max heart rate.

For many people, 65% or so of your max heart rate is a fat burning rate. That is argued by some as good or bad, totally separate debate

Hitting 75% and up into 85 is Aerobic training.

You go higher to anaerobic. I shoot for 90-92% and it kicks my butt.

Just google it for a much more detailed look at it. There are charts with 6 or so breakout heart rates to study. My numbers are ball park numbers as I remember them without consulting Google.

Just slow down to lower your heart rate.

Now there is your resting heart rate. That is a number you can change over time. It also has to do with the efficiency of your heart. You can to bursts of anaerobic training and gradually increase the efficiency of your heart and lower your resting pulse rate.

I have been doing HIIT intervals and seen mine drop a bit. It never really dropped with steady state cardio and weight loss.

Here is a shot of my blood pressure monitor.

111 over 69 for blood pressure, heart rate of 61.

That is after 4 months of HIIT. I used to have a resting heart rate in the 80's.

Unless you have a medical issue, you can change your blood pressure and resting heart rate thru calculated nutritional choices and targeted exercise.

d0yye9pig82g.jpg