C25K or "Gattaca" approach?

So I've been toying with the idea of using C25K to help me increase my running ability. However, I went for a run the other day and (for the first time in over a decade) was able to run almost an entire mile without walking. I then began to develop a "Gattaca" strategy that I'm thinking about trying out. If you haven't seen that movie (seriously, watch it), the basic principle to apply here would be to not save anything for the run back. So I would start at my house and just run as far as I could without walking. At that point I would turn around and walk/run home. Has anyone else tried an approach similar to this? If I try to use C25K, where should I start?

My Nike+ username is CCoehick, if you want to look at a detail of my latest run.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Yes, I have gotten back into running that way and it will work. Just be sure to keep enough recovery days in the mix until you are back in shape.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    C25K is designed with a few things in mind:

* Designed not to go too hard, too soon, preventing injury (Or, reducing it)
    * Slow build of endurance
    * Building internal pacing
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    C25K is designed with a few things in mind:

* Designed not to go too hard, too soon, preventing injury (Or, reducing it)
    * Slow build of endurance
    * Building internal pacing

While the Gattaca approach was "designed" for desperate one-time solutions.

I would look at it this way:
    - Do you have a perfect genetically modified brother to show off to :) ?

If the answer to the above is no, may be C25K is the way to go...