Trying to get healthy......NO more diets...PLEASE

Options
My name is Jodi, I have struggled with my weight 90% of my life. Always the fat kid, the overweight teenage, in my late twenties i managed to lose about 75 pounds with the help of Weight Watcher, this is when i met the man who would become my husband. I was enjoying my happiness for the fist time in 30 years when the Good Lord took my father to be with him 5 weeks before my wedding....this put me in a F____ the world mood and I lived on sugar and caffeine for the next year. Even though we still got married the joy of what a wedding should be was tarnished. It took me many years go get of that loss. I gained back the 75 pounds plus a lot more. About 6 years ago I had lap band surgery hoping to use this tool as a way to lose weight, I did lose about 80 pounds then started have complications and now I am back to my top weight. My friends and husband and myself really don't' know why I am the weight I am. I don't eat stuff that is fried, or high in carbs. I like salads a lot but still weight way to much. Doctors never give me answers either. So I am going to try myfitnesspal along with the new fitbit i just purchased. Hopefully it will work, my new journey starts NOW!!!

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I don't eat high fat fried foods either, heck, I'm a vegetarian and I still managed to become obese. The real eyeopener for me was getting a food scale. I thought I was eating low cal but it turns out my "healthy salads" were 800+ calories and I was eating 3 of them a day.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    FitBits are pretty good for telling you how many calories your body uses in a day. I certainly thought I was much more active.

Anyway, Leggup is right. Log everything you eat. It's not about carbs (unless you have a medical condition) and fried food (totally not worth the calories).....it just comes down to calories.

I hear you regarding a death in the family. I was out of control after my brother died.
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shocked when I started logging my food-- I was eating good food but a LOT more of it than I realized (another overweight vegetarian.) I have slowly been losing weight by tracking my food here, moving more and using the skills in The Beck Diet Solution (helps you change your thinking process about losing weight). Loss is so hard-- be kind to yourself.
  • hbaer88
    hbaer88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I am Heather. I am another over weight vegetarian and struggle with PCOS. Since starting on here I am shocked by all the calories that were in my favorite foods. Good luck!!