Benefits of Walking?

Options

Replies

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I see plent of people walking around my neighborhood with baby strollers.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Walking 10 miles most days gives me roughly 1000 extra calories. Best thing ever! :D

10 miles is so insanely worth the 1000 calories... so I'm gonna go walk 10 miles now. Its pasta night and I'm hungry!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Walking 10 miles most days gives me roughly 1000 extra calories. Best thing ever! :D

10 miles is so insanely worth the 1000 calories... so I'm gonna go walk 10 miles now. Its pasta night and I'm hungry!

That's for my particular stats though, yours may vary.

I'm 5"8, 143lbs age 43

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Personally, based on how little difference it makes to my weight loss, I burn up very few calories with exercise, no matter how strenuous it is. If walking is convenient and you like it, there seems to me to be no reason to change it.

However...

Just today in my local newspaper there was an article about a number of people who lost significant weight since they began to use the relatively new commuter rail. The community where I live got a commuter train up and running about a year ago. If people's commutes run along a roughly north/south path, then this works for them somewhat, but bus transportation from the train stations to other destinations east or west can be sketchy. These train riders now bike (they say 200 bikes a day are taken on the trains now) or walk to and from the train stations and have unexpectedly lost weight and I mean something like 40 or 50 pounds over the past year. The article doesn't say whether these riders made any changes to their food intake.

This seems, at least on the surface, to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom that one's diet matters far more than one's activity for weight loss. Either way, I think walking is respectable exercise, no matter why you do it.

Ya, a friend of the family stays fit by biking to the train and then to work.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My grandmother told me years ago that walking helped improve your bowels.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    annetaryn wrote: »
    I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

You can sneak in plenty more walking - march in place! Jog in place! I do this while cooking at the stove, waiting for my washing machine to finish, brushing my teeth, while watching tv-get up and high knee jog in place during commercial breaks. Basically, you can find many times to 'walk' besides the actual outdoor walk.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try taking the baby for a walk after some water play. They tend to not get so crabby about sitting still and sometimes even sleep after they've had water play. That way, maybe you can walk for longer periods. Any time I need babies or toddlers to calm the heck down, I stick them in some water. :)

Walking helps you lose weight, tone up, work your heart a bit and get fresh air. :) Any kind of exercise helps you sleep better.

It's just an easy way to get a little exercise into your day. If you google it, you'll see many top hospitals listing the many benefits of walking. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My grandmother told me years ago that walking helped improve your bowels.

She's not wrong! Exercise is the best way to keep things moving in there!!

Did she call it her "daily constitutional"? All the old people said that when I was a kid. "I'm going out for my daily constitutional." Now, we walk. :)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. It's also a great destresser. I know you said the idea of running is scary but start small, really small. When I first started I couldn't run even a block without breaking out in a cold sweat and puffing like a steam train. Now I can manage to run three miles. It's surprising how fast your endurance builds and when you only have thirty minutes running will give you a stronger workout. Walking is definitely worth doing though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @annetaryn you could also work in the 28 Day Squat Challenge around your baby's needs.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    This is what it has done for me

76145189.png
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My first two were stroller babies. The little ones are so spoiled the expect to be carried everywhere. I blame myself...

If baby doesn't care to be in a stroller, get a backpack that fits well and take baby for longer walks or even hikes. I don't remember age cutoffs, but little babies should be carried in front, and older babies in back.

Google "baby-wearing". I swear it's like a religion to some folks.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those that say exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. A calorie burned has the same weight loss benefit as a calorie not consumed.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have lost 5 lbs and 1.2% body fat by walking and watching my calories. My legs and booty seem to be getting more firm, and its only been 3 weeks! Although I went into a chocolate coma today and am too tired to take the dog for a walk tonight...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I disagree with those that say exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. A calorie burned has the same weight loss benefit as a calorie not consumed.

100% agree!

• Idaharris
    Idaharris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    annetaryn wrote: »
    I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm am a over the road team truck driver. I'm in a moving vehicle up to 20 hours a day. D.O.T. regulations require we take a 30 min break. So that is all the time I have outside the truck most days to really get my heart going. Just doing that small amount of physical activity and cleaning up my diet has helped me in huge ways. I also have a small stair stepper thing in the truck for bad weather and scary locations. You may want to start adding small intervals of sprints into your walk slowly to get more out of your 30 min window of time.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://darebee.com/ and find yourself an interesting free workout that you can do in the comfort of your own home. Everything there will be better than a brisk walk.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm with those who said strap the baby on and go walking. Check my profile pic <--- I'm a big fan of baby wearing.
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There's a huge nature park near where I live (so big that most of the times you don't see anyone when walking around) and I've seen a lot of people there jogging (!) with a stroller. Not that I would recommendid it for you since you said your baby isn't much of a fan of being outside for too long - or maybe that changed since quite some time has gone by?

Walking is awesome. I like to do that on the weekends while I have other workouts during the week. Especially walking in nature is great for your equilibrium. Also helps with back problems.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i would try body combat on youtube awesome workout burns twice many cals as walking