2»

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    prplepeep wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Actually it does, as I didn't change a thing aside from keeping track on here- in fact, ate more calories than normal. If you read the part that said I had a medical condition leading to my weight - YES, it is quite possible I have indeed been eating in deficit and still gain (It's how we knew something was wrong). It's quite rude of you to accusingly assume you know what is normal for me. This tracker recommends I eat 1710, but I average right around 1200 -1300 normally.

No. That is scientifically impossible.

What happens is your medical condition affects the CO part of your CICO equation. As such, your CO may be smaller than expected. MFP and other Calculators are simply estimations based on averages. This is why I asked earlier if you had a Calorie (and possibly macronutrient) recommendation(s) from a doctor.

I'm new to this, so no, I don't understand what you mean by your abbreviations.

My doctor and I went over my daily diet and exercise regimes and concluded that it didn't make sense that I wasn't losing weight, but instead gaining. That along with other symptoms lead to a diagnosis of having PCOS. She gave me a thumbs up on my diet, and prescribed me METformin to help lower my Androgen levels. The only instruction I have with the meds is to take with breakfast.

CICO = Calories In vs Calories Out

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

1 week does not dictate "normal"...

the last year does...and if you have over 100 lbs to lose you were not eating in a deficit so it's not "normal" for you.

I currently eat anywhere between 1500-2200 calories a day to lose weight...depends on activity.

Today it will be close to 1800 or 1900 I suspect since I am running and lifting and I had a very busy weekend...

Wednesday...closer to 1500 as it's my rest day.

I did point that out, but she seems preprogrammed and hears what she wants to. Hence eating at a deficit and gaining. Theres several pcos groups, perhaps she ought to join and listen to them.
  • prplepeep
    prplepeep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Actually it does, as I didn't change a thing aside from keeping track on here- in fact, ate more calories than normal. If you read the part that said I had a medical condition leading to my weight - YES, it is quite possible I have indeed been eating in deficit and still gain (It's how we knew something was wrong). It's quite rude of you to accusingly assume you know what is normal for me. This tracker recommends I eat 1710, but I average right around 1200 -1300 normally.

What happens is your medical condition affects the CO part of your CICO equation. As such, your CO may be smaller than expected. MFP and other Calculators are simply estimations based on averages. This is why I asked earlier if you had a Calorie (and possibly macronutrient) recommendation(s) from a doctor.

I'm new to this, so no, I don't understand what you mean by your abbreviations.

My doctor and I went over my daily diet and exercise regimes and concluded that it didn't make sense that I wasn't losing weight, but instead gaining. That along with other symptoms lead to a diagnosis of having PCOS. She gave me a thumbs up on my diet, and prescribed me METformin to help lower my Androgen levels. The only instruction I have with the meds is to take with breakfast.

CICO = Calories In vs Calories Out

Thanks strong_curves. It seems others are into bashing me more than helping. Glad to be their punching bag- hope they get their work out in. LOL <3
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's a PCOS group you will probably be interested in joining
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think you are misunderstanding--people aren't bashing you. They are explaining that you can't have been eating in a deficit (which means below your maintenance level) and gaining. But as others have said, you could have an unusually low maintenance level due to your medical condition, depending on the details, and that's why the MFP goal might not be right for you--better to get a referral and work with a dietician. The PCOS group here would also be helpful.

Based on the things you've posted I do have questions about your logging, which can be a little difficult to get right at first, so if you want people to look over your logging and point out any possible errors or ways to improve the accuracy, I'd recommend that (you'd have to open your diary). But again I think the ideal thing to do would be to work with a dietician who understands your health issues.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If anything, I thought I over-eat

You do.

The very hundred pounds you are trying to lose is evidence of that, and all the confirmation needed, right?

• prplepeep
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think you are misunderstanding--people aren't bashing you. They are explaining that you can't have been eating in a deficit (which means below your maintenance level) and gaining. But as others have said, you could have an unusually low maintenance level due to your medical condition, depending on the details, and that's why the MFP goal might not be right for you--better to get a referral and work with a dietician. The PCOS group here would also be helpful.

Based on the things you've posted I do have questions about your logging, which can be a little difficult to get right at first, so if you want people to look over your logging and point out any possible errors or ways to improve the accuracy, I'd recommend that (you'd have to open your diary). But again I think the ideal thing to do would be to work with a dietician who understands your health issues.

Thank You for being nice about it. :wink: . That makes sense! And it was explained to me that my personal maintenance level is not going to be the same as average- which is what had me so confused. (This thing telling me I needed to eat more than my normal consumption when I was normally well below 1710 was confusing as I know eating more isn't going to help me!) I will talk to my doctor and find what my personal maintenance levels should be.

I appreciate the tips. I didn't realize we had PCOS groups here either!! Thanks to all for pointing me there. Surely they'll understand my confusion a bit more. What I do know is that my body stores more than it should- that's what the meds are for. Once I can regulate an appropriate intake it should be smooth sailing!

I appreciate it! :smile:
  • prplepeep
    Options

I got it, Thanks for helping. I'll talk to my doc about what should be appropriate for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, then. Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    People aren't "bashing". They are trying to explain that if you were truly in a deficit, you would be losing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    People aren't "bashing". They are trying to explain that if you were truly in a deficit, you would be losing.
    I think she's on board now. She wasn't distinguishing between a calculated and an actual deficit.

• prplepeep
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think she's on board now. She wasn't distinguishing between a calculated and an actual deficit.

Indeed. Sorry guys, and Thanks! I was going by what this said my intake should be and common sense.