How quickly do you lose muscle tone

Options
Hi all,

I've been working out to Jillian Michael DVDs for the last 4-5 months and have lost about 8lb and lost inches around my bottom, thighs, waist and upper abs. Lower abs is coming along but taking ages!!!
The aim was to get in shape for my honeymoon which I go on next week. I stupidly booked a tattoo which I had done on Saturday on my upper arm. I now can't do any exercise until its healed.
So my question is, is it possible to lose the muscle I've gained and change my body back to how it was in just a week? Even slightly?

Thanks, Hayley

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    No
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. your muscle tone takes a very, very long time to go away when and if you stop working out. We're talking months.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not eating 20,000 excess calories each day I think you'll be okay.
  • hayleymarshall737
    hayleymarshall737 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm quite disappointed by the childish responses. As someone who is very self conscious and worked very hard to tone up and lose weight, I was genuinely asking advice. I read an article online which shows you start losing muscle the moment you stop training which I thought was odd and wanted to get your opinions. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    One week is nothing, you will probably start to notice a small drop off in strength after 2-3 weeks though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I'm quite disappointed by the childish responses. As someone who is very self conscious and worked very hard to tone up and lose weight, I was genuinely asking advice. I read an article online which shows you start losing muscle the moment you stop training which I thought was odd and wanted to get your opinions. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

I didn't see any childish responses...I just saw people telling you that you'd be fine for a week...and like DopeItUp said, maybe some strength losses after a few weeks (but those come back really quick...muscle memory is pretty awesome). To actually lose all your muscle would take quite awhile.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    One week isn't long enough to cause you any major setbacks.
    Getting a tattoo doesn't mean you have to sit on your butt. If it's on your arm, go for a walk or a run or a hike or something if you want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Maybe you'd like the responses in this thread's twin, better?