Want to Quit everything...not losing anything

Options

Replies

• CountryStrongNicole
    CountryStrongNicole Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My question is... did you start working out when you started to watch your food? If your new to working out and new to the change in eating... it could just be a matter of time for these changes to catch up in your body. If you haven't taken measurements... do it! You might just be gaining muscle and toning in areas which takes a while to show on the scale but you will see it in your clothes and shape. Don't give up... it takes time. Don't give up!! Eat your allotted calories/macros for the day and maybe change up your workouts a little. Just don't quit so quickly. It can take 6-8 weeks to see a change with diet and exercise on the scale.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    NO!!! Don't quit. Your calories seem abit all over the place. Some days down to like 1000 and then up to 2000. Have you calculated what you actually need to be consuming? Also you work out 5x a day?? do you mean a week?

You need to rethink your goals. Calculate your macros and get that in order and you need to think long term.

I don't even know what macros are...I think this site doesn't work I have been logging in everything

It has worked for me 21 pounds gone, 25 more to go. You need to look seriously at what you are doing, just exercising and not paying attention to what you eat is not going to bring the results you want.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We all have been there, just don't quit, keep going it will get better.. I looked at your food diary, you might want to watch your sugar intake,it seems high on daily basis. Don't give up, take it one day at a time. Good luck....
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1,200 calories a day plus exercise calories? If not, then you body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie it can. I know it's hard, but try to focus on eating healthy and improving fitness, the scale does not tell the whole story.

^^^I'm quoting because this is worth mentioning. My mom hit a plateau in her own weight loss journey and ended up going to see a doctor about it. He said she wasn't eating enough and her body was storing away food because it wasn't sure if it was going to get enough the next day. This is a very real thing!

With that said, I noticed that some days you're not eating dinner? I've heard it said that you're supposed to eat something fist sized every 2-3 hours in a day. It's better for you and your metabolism stays up.

As for the site working... all this site does is count your calories. Excess calories add weight and there's no two ways about it. I would suggest to keep going with the site because it has an amazing supply of nutritional information in its database. Try looking through your settings as well and make sure that everything is accurate. Do you have a sit down job or one where you walk around a lot? Make sure that's at the right setting.

Another thing and then I'll stop. :) Take your body measurements as well and keep a record of them. If you're exercising 5 times a week chances are that you're building some muscle somewhere in there, and muscle weighs more than fat. So you might be losing fat but gaining muscle which is a good thing!

Hang in there!

EDIT: this site counts macros too. :) Should have mentioned that. I find whenever I eat too much sodium my weight goes up or stays stagnant.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I don't even know what macros are...I think this site doesn't work I have been logging in everything

That's part of your problem right there. Do a little research. Also, your calories are all over the place. 4 of the last 10 days you've had as many or more calories as me, and I'm 6'1" 208 lbs and male. Carbs are way way too high too.

Thinking this site doesn't work when you're the one who either succeeds or fails is kind of ridiculous. I don't mean to seem like I'm coming down on you, but you get out of this site what you put into it.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I am not losing weight I am still as fat as I was before I started I am 5 "11 and I am 185 when I should be around 170 or 175...the numbers just keep going up and I want to fit in my pants. I work out 5 times a week and I eat veggies and protein....cut out candy ...WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO DO?? I am getting so discouraged ready to jus ditch everything

Its 10 lbs. If it adds that much aggravation to your life and is really discouraging you, then I agree with you. Its not worth it for a lousy 10 lbs. Most people lose 5lbs of water in the first couple weeks. Maybe you just need to figure something else out that works better for YOU.

Maybe take a break from logging, possible educate yourself a bit more on nutrition, then re-evaluate your goals and come up with a new plan?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" too and I currently weight 155. Last summer I was at my lowest at 145 after being 190 in 2010.

We, being tall, have different dietary needs as other women. It takes more weight coming off for anyone notice, but we can also gain it and no one notice as well. Where some women can get away with 1100-1200 calories/daily, we can't. If I eat less than 1500, I don't lose a thing. 1600 is my happy number, plus eating back some of my exercise calories.

Getting frusterated and blaming MFP won't help matters. Healthy weight loss requires sleep, healthy eating and moving more. Stress only gets in the way and throws your body out of wack.

What I've noticed when looking at your diary, you're are all over the place on calories. What worked for me was consistancy. So if my goal was 1600, I ate that, give or take 50 calories EVERY DAY. Drink tons of water, work out 3-4 days a week. The weight will come off slow, but in no time you'll be where you want to be - I promise.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    (I am certainly no expert, these comments are purely from my experience) Looking at the last week of your logging, there are a TON of inconsistencies. Are you really and truly logging everything that you are eating? If you are, then maybe you need to look at what you are eating. A BBQ sandwich and 2 hotdogs for lunch (plus other things), then a bag of chips for dinner seems a little (to me) of what could be holding you back. All of those things are high in sodium and fat, plus are highly processed foods.

Then there is no water logged, are you drinking water? Very important to keep hydrated, and help with all the sodium in your diet.

Maybe try loading some extra veggies and fruits in your meal plan.

The macros are the calories/carbs/fat/protein/sugar/sodium that make up the food diary.

Make a few changes and see what happens, don't give up. Seems like you are heading in the right direction by at least logging and asking questions. Good luck!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    NO!!! Don't quit. Your calories seem abit all over the place. Some days down to like 1000 and then up to 2000. Have you calculated what you actually need to be consuming? Also you work out 5x a day?? do you mean a week?

You need to rethink your goals. Calculate your macros and get that in order and you need to think long term.

If you don't know what macros are -- not that I think they are essential -- you need to educate yourself. They are basic food groupings: Fat, protein, carbohydrates. For example, people who have the goal of reducing fat will eat a high-protein, low-carb diet. MFP has a setting that allows you to adjust your macros.

If I were you I would stick with calories for now. Figure out how many calories you can eat to create a deficit. I would not eat back exercise calories. I would weight and measure everything I eat and find a way of getting a body fat estimate, say, with a scale. I would exercise as much as you can but I would not pay attention to the number of calories you're "supposed" to be burning. Such estimates are often too high. Weigh yourself at least once a week, track your progress, adjust.
  • avvalynna
    avvalynna Posts: 32
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! This site and plan is easy to use but it seems, like the other responders have mentioned, your diary is all over the place. You should be logging all your food in and eating within your allotted calories. You can eat more food mentioned if you eat back your exercise calories. Making good food choices works well too!

You can do this! Just takes a little time, planning and dedication. I've done weight watchers, jenny craig, slim fast, atkins, fasting...etc. You name it, I've prob tried it. But honestly, this plan is helping me actually "learn" to eat better, choose healthier options, discover new activities, and has one hell of a community for support.

You can do this!
  • Jusjerzy
    Jusjerzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The site is a tool, but its only as good as what you do with it. Saying it doesn't work is a bit like blaming a hammer for not finishing your house...

You're close to your goal weight - so what is your target setting? Are you aiming for 1 pound a week? Two?

If you're really logging everything, then your intake is inconsistent and often a lot lower than your goal. Believe it or not, eating too *little* can slow down your loss, especially when you're tall.

How are you measuring what you're logging? Are you measuring? Cups, scale? Eyeball?

^Definitely this!!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Or less. One of those.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Since you really only have 10-20lbs to lose, its going to take a while to notice the change, and those changes are going to be much better if you incorporate strength training (like heavy lifting) and moderate to minimal cardio.

My suggestion:
    - Pick up New Rules of Lifting for Women (Starting Strength and Stronglifts are another good place to start)
    - Find out your TDEE, eat about 0.5-1lb less in calories per week
    - Eat at least 100g of protein, preferably 1-1.5g per lb of lean body mass
    - Eat at least 0.3g fat per lb of bodyweight
    - Do cardio when you feel like it (preferably short HIIT sessions a couple times a week if your schedule is tight or some longer LISS sessions on a bike... no running a marathon three times a week... or really anything much over a couple miles or 20-30min)
    - Track your food as accurately as possible, weigh, measure everything that goes in your mouth
    - Do this for 6-8 weeks and then see how your progress is
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You really don't have that much weight to lose, but don't be discouraged, keep on trying. I only have about 14 lbs to lose (I am older and only 5'1" tall), but I yo yo sometimes, depending on trips, or functions out eating, etc. I have decided to make my goal to lose 3/4 lb a week and by November 1, I should be at my goal. I am allowing for bursts of eating, as Father's Day dinner is around the corner, etc. etc. There is always something and I love to eat and especially have a sweet tooth. I also have a huge family reunion coming up next week, now that is a real challenge. I just want one of all of the desserts, if you know what I mean. Hang in there. If you need more MFP friends, just let me know. I will try to encourage you along the way.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When people say they are going to "quit" or "give up" I am always confused. Quit and go back to what? Eat whatever you want and potentially have life threatening health problems in the future? Even if I didn't lose a pound, but I was exercising and eating a healthy diet, I would still see that as a positive change and the scale is not the end all result of my hard work.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I second this. You need to recalculate your calories, make sure you are measuring everything, be honest with yourself, and up your protein. I used the roadmap to set my calories and then did 30% from fat, 30% from protein, and 40% from carbs. That set my protein at more than twice the amount of my fat. Which makes sense to me because protein keeps you full longer and who wants to eat more fat. And I know that almonds and nuts have healthy fats but that is still a LOT of fat and you are eating them nearly every day. Good luck and don't quit. Just maybe do a little more research. I have friends that have logged in every day for 300+ days and not lost any weight. You have to be honest with your self otherwise you have no one (and nothing) else to blame but your self. IMHO
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Or less. One of those.

tumblr_llze3fvhi41qf9jcfo1_500.gif
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    It makes me angry that alot of people are accusing me of eating junk just because I didn't log in for that day. I have been watching every little thing I eat.