When you feel like eating something bad...

Options

Replies

• JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bacon Poutine- Regular (Smoke's Poutinerie)
    Serving Size: 621 g, Calories: 1422, Fat: 70g, Carbs: 156g, Protein: 43g

Even though that's more than my daily calorie intake, I could actually work off the surplus.
    Although.....a small poutine as my entire nourishment for the day?
    Nope.
    But when I'm in maitnence......I'm going to Smokes Poutinery for breakfast!

McDonald's has a version that is half the calories. Haven't tried, but sounds yummy

MAPLE & BACON POUTINE
    Serving Size 261(g)
    Calories 630(Kcal)
    Fat 37(g) 57(% DV)
    Saturated Fat 14(g)
    Trans Fat 1(g)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat 75(% DV)
    Cholesterol 85(mg)
    Sodium 1400(mg) 58(% DV)
    Carbohydrate 48(g) 16(% DV)
    Fibre 3(g) 12(% DV)
    Sugar 4(g)
    Protein 25(g)
    Vitamin A 10(% DV)
    Vitamin C 15(% DV)
    Calcium 40(% DV)
    Iron 8(% DV)

And their regular poutine is even less calories. Yum - poutine :)
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    angellll12 wrote: »
    I buy it and ask whoever I'm with if they want a piece or I'll just take five bites and throw it out.

Seriously? Why waste food? Save it for another day or fit a whole slice into your calories.

That's what works for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What do you do when you feel tempted to hit up the local pizza or burger place? I have been doing well and have lost 17 lbs, but I am really craving something I know I shouldn't have. How do I resist the cravings?

If I want pizza I simply have thin crust and a couple of slices, which fits into my calories fine. I try to have some veggies on it (and make it really good pizza) and have extra protein the rest of the day to make my macros work, and maybe some extra veggies or a salad with it. If I really want a higher calorie slice or two (like Chicago-style) I find a way to work it into my day or weekend (saving calories or using exercise calories back when I ate them back).

If I want a burger I usually just make it myself, since I like my burgers as well or better than a restaurant burger and they thus they satisfy my desire for burgers, but in general if I want something higher cal that doesn't really fit into my usual day and it's something I don't have all that much I work it in. I do this with Indian food since I love it and like to be able to have naan and my favorite curries and not limit myself to tandoori chicken (although that's good too).
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Double post.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).
    Wait....I'm wrong.....there is 'good'....it's the taste!

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"
    By tomorrow, I usually have reevaluated and know it's just not worth it.

Disagree! What about mental health? Feeling deprived or demonizing food doesn't lead to a healthy relationship with food. While poutine is calorie dense, if you have the calories it could sure help you reach your fat macro (one I always have to go out of my way to reach) and could be a wonderful treat.

Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber) it's not magically unhealthy it has (protein fat and carbs, all things I need) or going to somehow make you fat (if you don't excede your calories). And knowing that means you can eat it without guilt (something I was riddled with if I ever lapsed while clean eating). It's about balance and sustainability and mental health! You really can have it all!

Depends. If you've got a high level of activity or just a high TDEE for whatever reason, sure it's fine, whatever whenever.

If you're stuck with 1300 or 1500 calories and blow 1000 on one meal, you're probably going to feel like crap with only 300-500 calories left for all your other meals and just fat and carbs a teensy bit of protein fuelling you. I do it now and then, to hit a craving, for sure. And I don't demonize any food. But it's just not a smart choice to make on a regular basis.

I also routinely pass on (but do not demonize) jerk chicken, chicken passanda with naan and rice, and thai green chicken curries because I know I would feel like crap if I actually hit my calorie target. And in fact I always choose to not feel like crap, so on the days I do have those things, I just go over (even with substitutions, sometimes) and start again the next day. And that's fine every now and then, but it's way too easy to make a habit of it.

So you missed the part where I said

"Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber)"

Fitting it in may require a half portion, or quarter portion. And "meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber", means adding whatever portion you choose would bring you to at least your daily minimums of protein etc.

Yeah but that statement is a little ridiculous when it comes to poutine, sorry. Most people (not all, I get it) would have a very hard time throwing out 3/4 of e.g. a 600 cal's worth box of it. That would leave you with like 2-3 bites, yeah. Have a search of the forums to see how people feel about this particular food.
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I buy it and ask whoever I'm with if they want a piece or I'll just take five bites and throw it out.

Seriously? Why waste food? Save it for another day or fit a whole slice into your calories.

That's insane self-control, if you do this with poutine. (I am in awe)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    Bacon Poutine- Regular (Smoke's Poutinerie)
    Serving Size: 621 g, Calories: 1422, Fat: 70g, Carbs: 156g, Protein: 43g

Even though that's more than my daily calorie intake, I could actually work off the surplus.
    Although.....a small poutine as my entire nourishment for the day?
    Nope.
    But when I'm in maitnence......I'm going to Smokes Poutinery for breakfast!

McDonald's has a version that is half the calories. Haven't tried, but sounds yummy

MAPLE & BACON POUTINE
    Serving Size 261(g)
    Calories 630(Kcal)
    Fat 37(g) 57(% DV)
    Saturated Fat 14(g)
    Trans Fat 1(g)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat 75(% DV)
    Cholesterol 85(mg)
    Sodium 1400(mg) 58(% DV)
    Carbohydrate 48(g) 16(% DV)
    Fibre 3(g) 12(% DV)
    Sugar 4(g)
    Protein 25(g)
    Vitamin A 10(% DV)
    Vitamin C 15(% DV)
    Calcium 40(% DV)
    Iron 8(% DV)

And their regular poutine is even less calories. Yum - poutine :)

Don't forget that the serving size is only around 40% of the original serving size also.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

That's insane self-control, if you do this with poutine

Im Canadian that's where the ish originated from and helped me to get fat in the first place :p
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    If you're stuck with 1300 or 1500 calories and blow 1000 on one meal, you're probably going to feel like crap with only 300-500 calories left for all your other meals and just fat and carbs a teensy bit of protein fuelling you. I do it now and then, to hit a craving, for sure. And I don't demonize any food. But it's just not a smart choice to make on a regular basis.

Sure, I don't think anyone is talking about doing it regularly.

For me, I sometimes do what you do and make my other meals really small--and you can have satisfying low cal meals. (When I started I tried fasting before an evening out and felt fine during the day, but it killed my self-control so I won't do that again.) But I also sometimes plan ahead and save calories. When I ate back exercise calories one perk was that I usually do my long runs and bike rides on the weekend, so I'd often have loads of extra calories.

I don't think these are so hard to imagine as a possibility even for a weekly indulgence, let alone something less common.

Currently I don't eat back exercise, which makes it harder (or requires that I just go over, which I'm more willing to do now that I'm close to goal), but I still do things like plan ahead for an Indian restaurant by eating a bit less on prior days or--my favorite, although it's been a weird coincidence that I've ended up doing this a couple of times--going the night before a half marathon, when I felt find about having some extra calories that weekend.

With Indian I usually skimp on the rice, but have decided that having naan and not worrying about it is worth it to me, so I simply don't go as often and allow myself extra calories/an indulgence when I do.

Other people will have their things to treat this way.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"

Disagree! What about mental health? Feeling deprived or demonizing food doesn't lead to a healthy relationship with food. While poutine is calorie dense, if you have the calories it could sure help you reach your fat macro (one I always have to go out of my way to reach) and could be a wonderful treat.

Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber) it's not magically unhealthy it has (protein fat and carbs, all things I need) or going to somehow make you fat (if you don't excede your calories). And knowing that means you can eat it without guilt (something I was riddled with if I ever lapsed while clean eating). It's about balance and sustainability and mental health! You really can have it all!

Depends. If you've got a high level of activity or just a high TDEE for whatever reason, sure it's fine, whatever whenever.

I also routinely pass on (but do not demonize) jerk chicken, chicken passanda with naan and rice, and thai green chicken curries because I know I would feel like crap if I actually hit my calorie target. And in fact I always choose to not feel like crap, so on the days I do have those things, I just go over (even with substitutions, sometimes) and start again the next day. And that's fine every now and then, but it's way too easy to make a habit of it.

You can make poutine that isn't 2000 calories a shot.

McCain super fries, straight cut, 85 g - 130 calories
    Swiss Chalet gravy, 114 g - 45 calories (gravy of choice)
    Sobeys cheese curds, 30 g - 100 calories

275 calories, depending on how much you have, for the basic poutine. Less if you make everything from scratch I, and many others I'm sure, can fit 275 calories into our day. You can even add the toppings and make something similar to Smoke's triple pork.
    tumblr_luqgwnBBJU1qcn3o7o1_1280.jpg
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had been craving pizza for weeks. I finally caved Saturday night. I had planned for it and had left over calories from the week. However, I made myself eat a big salad before having the pizza, even though I was going to allow myself 3 slices, I ended up only having one. It was awesome, and the craving was satisfied :)
  • tomatoey
    Options

That's insane self-control, if you do this with poutine

Im Canadian that's where the ish originated from and helped me to get fat in the first place :p

I'm Canadian too, that's why I don't get it! I don't think I know anyone who could do that! But if it works for you, that's great :)
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Sure, I don't think anyone is talking about doing it regularly.

For me, I sometimes do what you do and make my other meals really small--and you can have satisfying low cal meals. (When I started I tried fasting before an evening out and felt fine during the day, but it killed my self-control so I won't do that again.) But I also sometimes plan ahead and save calories. When I ate back exercise calories one perk was that I usually do my long runs and bike rides on the weekend, so I'd often have loads of extra calories.

I don't think these are so hard to imagine as a possibility even for a weekly indulgence, let alone something less common.

Currently I don't eat back exercise, which makes it harder (or requires that I just go over, which I'm more willing to do now that I'm close to goal), but I still do things like plan ahead for an Indian restaurant by eating a bit less on prior days or--my favorite, although it's been a weird coincidence that I've ended up doing this a couple of times--going the night before a half marathon, when I felt find about having some extra calories that weekend.

With Indian I usually skimp on the rice, but have decided that having naan and not worrying about it is worth it to me, so I simply don't go as often and allow myself extra calories/an indulgence when I do.

Other people will have their things to treat this way.

Yes, having that margin of error, thanks to exercise calories, makes a huge difference. It's much more feasible to fit things in when that's the case. Once weekly, for sure, no problem - that's what I did when I lost my big chunk. It makes sense that you'd want to fuel a marathon!

Right now, I can't do a ton of cal-burning stuff, so I'm stuck watching the intake side. Which for me is a great sadness - I prefer to be more active and eat more (because I love food). Which is a problem when it comes to those 300-500 meals, so I'd rather have non-poutine food that isn't quite as calorific.

I'd go for naan over rice, too :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

You can make poutine that isn't 2000 calories a shot.

McCain super fries, straight cut, 85 g - 130 calories
    Swiss Chalet gravy, 114 g - 45 calories (gravy of choice)
    Sobeys cheese curds, 30 g - 100 calories

275 calories, depending on how much you have, for the basic poutine. Less if you make everything from scratch I, and many others I'm sure, can fit 275 calories into our day. You can even add the toppings and make something similar to Smoke's triple pork.
    tumblr_luqgwnBBJU1qcn3o7o1_1280.jpg

Yeah, it's not impossible for a lot of people.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I would go have the pizza as a treat meal andmice forward. Or have one slice and a salad for dinner and work it into your calories.
    Moderation, not deprivation.....

eh mice would ruin it for me
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options

"Knowing that if you fit it into a balanced diet (meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber)"

Fitting it in may require a half portion, or quarter portion. And "meeting your macronutrients and micronutrients and fiber", means adding whatever portion you choose would bring you to at least your daily minimums of protein etc.

Yeah but that statement is a little ridiculous when it comes to poutine, sorry. Most people (not all, I get it) would have a very hard time throwing out 3/4 of e.g. a 600 cal's worth box of it. That would leave you with like 2-3 bites, yeah. Have a search of the forums to see how people feel about this particular food.

Lol, really? My statement is rediculous?

You could always I don't know, put what's left in the fridge for another day or up your excersize to fit more in or save an extra 100 calories per day to fit in 700 cals at the end of the week. Just to remind you we're not just talking about poutine in the context of this thread. 300 calories of pizza or 350 of ice cream is pretty easy to fit in. And yes even poutine can fit. But I do agree that some things just aren't worth the calories for the payoff, but thinking you need to avoid foods you love and truly enjoy is just plain wrong.

My original response is about dietary context and mental health and how that contributes to a sustainable way of eating. Maybe re-read my first comment.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've never had poutine and it really isn't that photogenic, so so far I'm safe. ;-)
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options

Lol, really? My statement is rediculous?

You could always I don't know, put what's left in the fridge for another day or up your excersize to fit more in or save an extra 100 calories per day to fit in 700 cals at the end of the week. Just to remind you we're not just talking about poutine in the context of this thread. 300 calories of pizza or 350 of ice cream is pretty easy to fit in. And yes even poutine can fit. But I do agree that some things just aren't worth the calories for the payoff, but thinking you need to avoid foods you love and truly enjoy is just plain wrong.

My original response is about dietary context and mental health and how that contributes to a sustainable way of eating. Maybe re-read my first comment.

I didn't say, once, that you need to completely avoid high-calorie food you love. I said that people with low calorie budgets would do better to not make a habit of eating them. You are speaking as someone with, I presume by looking at your photo, a fair bit of calories to play with. Not everyone is in that situation.

Tone, my friend, watch it.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've never had poutine and it really isn't that photogenic, so so far I'm safe. ;-)

Ha, it's true, it's not very pretty to look at :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But for some of us, a normal meal is around 12-1400 calories ;) That was all I meant by my statement. Is that the best macro breakdown? Not really, but every once in a while....no problem. That being said, I didn't even know what that was until I googled it.

Hornsby, poutine is like a party in your mouth.
    It's heaven, on a greasy salty plate.
    It's proof that a food god exists.....and loves me.

I have to find out what poutine is too. Never heard of it.

It's a Canadian delicacy.
    But you MUST use cheese curds!
    No cheating and using grated mozzarella