Hot Weather Recipes Please!

Options
mrsmelissajewell
mrsmelissajewell Posts: 15 Member
We're have a 103 degree day and I can't bare to turn on the oven or stove.
What's your favorite flavorful, protein packed, filling vegetarian salad??
Any other suggestions for a vegetarian dinner that don't require the oven?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    gazpacho :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not high in protein, but. Watermelon. Just about. The only thing. Dip it in greek yogurt?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I grill, use the microwave and crock pot in the summer. I love gazpacho too. You can buy rotisserie chicken or make the crock-pot version. Then make chicken salad or put it in a dinner salad.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/curried-chicken-salad-lettuce-wraps.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/roast-beef-and-cucumber-lettuce-wrap.html

I like ceviche too. The lime juice cooks the shrimp or fish.

You can make scattered sushi bowls with crab or crab sticks. Use can use those microwave rice cups for the rice.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/california-roll-salad.html
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Veggie burgers with canned beans - you can use the grill. Salads, stir fry with frozen veg, or you can use your stove and freeze portions to microwave when it's too hot.
  • mrsmelissajewell
    mrsmelissajewell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ended up making a black bean salad--sprinkle of cheese (because of course!), romaine, black beans, corn, and cilantro. I got plenty of protein and fiber from the beans, and I also invented an amazing dressing: half plain Greek yogurt plus half salsa. Super tasty! When tomatoes are in season I'll add those too. Thanks for the suggestions-- I'll keep them in mind since we're just starting summer!
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I poach chicken in large batches in my crockpot, then I dice or shred it and freeze for later use. I use it for chicken salad (try pesto & greek yogurt!) add it to pasta salads, wraps or green salads. Yesterday I grilled up a ton of chicken breasts (marinated in greek yogurt w/curry and garam masala) and served with quinoa, grilled veggies, sliced green onion and sprinkled with feta. The extra chicken I froze and will use later to make wraps, in a quinoa salad or whole wheat cous cous salad.
    I love tabbouleh too and make a black bean, corn, avacado salad similar to the one you made. It had green onions, cilantro, jalepenos, tomatoes and red wine vinegar. So delicious!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads: shrimp, black beans, mixed greens, avocado, tomato, cholula chipotle hot sauce, and a laughing cow cheese (I only use it for the calorie count).
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mexican Chopped Salad: Black Beans, Red Onion, 2 Colored Peppers, 1 Jalapeno (seeded and deveined if you don't like it hot), Cherry Tomatoes cut in Half, Cilantro (I like alot), Juice of 2 limes, Salt to Taste ~ let sit a few hours, and YUMMO!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    We like pizza on the grill
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My go-to high protein salad is a tuna salad. On warm days I'll add diced apple or mandarin oranges (plus the usual Greek yoghurt, red onion, bell pepper and capers).
    A mango and shrimp salad is nice and refreshing too.