A public acknowledgment and thanks for people who helped me succeed at this malarkey

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I remember another one I don't think I've seen mentioned. @AaronK_123

It was his "why aspartame isn't scary" thread that really opened my eyes to how valued actual science is on this site as opposed to media fear-mongering headlines

wow I totally forgot about him...loved that post...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I remember another one I don't think I've seen mentioned. @AaronK_123

It was his "why aspartame isn't scary" thread that really opened my eyes to how valued actual science is on this site as opposed to media fear-mongering headlines

wow I totally forgot about him...loved that post...

Yep I asked a ton of questions at the beginning of the thread before it turned into the predictable shtstorm. Probably the single most important thread in teaching me there's actual science behind this stuff
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    funny story …when I first signed into MFP I never ventured into the forums or I would lurk and then I started posting a little and this was still in my dumb days of six small meals or starvation mode, sugar is bad, bla bla ..so I remember posting that someone should eat six small meals a day because starvation mode and I got reemed out so bad lol …

but instead of getting all butthurt it made me start doing my own research and I found out that most of the stuff that I thought was true was bunch of pseudo/bro science….

When did you start? When I got here in 2011 starvation mode was ingrained in the forum's culture to the extent that there not being a starvation mode is now. There was even that sticky-- 700 calories per day and not losing.

ummm I have been around for about three years now ..so it must have been 2012 …

I lost weight without MFP …just doing the six meals a day thing, sugar is bad , etc etc…a friend of mine told me about it as a way to track calories and what not and that is how i got on here…it was around the time I started getting more into lifting heavy too...

I think it was already starting to change-- I remember some pretty contentious threads about it back then. A lot on MFP has changed for the worse but the information in the forums has most definitely improved.

Agreed. I remember when i first started in 2011 and the quality of information has improved greatly. It took me getting a stern "you wont get bulky" "start lifting" thread from Sidesteel. At that time i was still being referred to up my cardio, lower my cals, and try something rigorous like the 30-day shred....

Yes it was ETP group that made me want to start lifting...I had forgotten all about it and wasn't lifting heavy before...2 years later still at it.

i am still a member of ETP….
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    susanmc31 wrote: »

He has provided a lot of valuable input and information.

There's a lot of great names in the thread.

I saw @MireyGal76 mentioned too. May great, helpful posts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psulemon wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I kinda feel like I want to send FRs to everyone included in this thread. Y'all be awesome in book!

I think a good chunk are already on mine..

but you all are free to add me….

no you add them... :p
    Just make sure they arent mods. Apparently, being friends with mods is terrible.

Also, one of the most inspirational stories and a person i admire is @CyberEd312

Then I am a terrible person...won't be kicking any of my friends out...and I agree CyberEd312 is such an inspiration and has an amazing story that it's hard not to feel the warm and fuzzies.

The funny thing about my FL, is the majority of the people on got there after i warned them for dumb crap. After they got done bitching me out, i gave them the reason why i did what i did. And then they realized they were wrong.

And like i always say, i dont make the rules, just enforce them.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I agree about everyone that's been listed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I approve of this thread and of all the names listed.
    All are very knowledgeable and incredibly helpful (even if they make the bro-scientists mad sometimes...or...maybe BECAUSE of that...).

Glad for a thread basically heaping praises on all my favorite posters.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    Everyone mentioned in this thread has given me knowledge in some form. Thank you all!! :)

Man, I ain't givin' you *kitten*.

Sorry, but you cannot deny the magnificence of your Gift to Humanity.

60311928.jpg

I...did...did you save that?
    Kruggeri wrote: »

And not to exclude the guys: @trogalicious that beard is magnificent and so is your gif...
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
    WNYEj9G.gif

Dude. That *kitten* beard...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I got the peep photo from a simple Google Image Search.

dude, you're famous.
  • ndj1979
    did anyone ping @stevencloser ???? he is always battling the derp pretty hard….
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Yep he was mentioned up there.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    A lot of good people in this thread <3
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

If only I was as motivated trying to write my Bachelor's thesis as I was doing this kind of stuff.
  • ndj1979

If only I was as motivated trying to write my Bachelor's thesis as I was doing this kind of stuff.

LOL

maybe you should change your thesis to "MFP - A study in Derp, pseudoscience, broscience, and moderating systems"

I bet that would get done with the quickness.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I agree about everyone that's been listed.

I always really enjoyed your posts, too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

dude, you're famous.

Ha, this makes me happy.
  • tincanonastring

LOL

maybe you should change your thesis to "MFP - A study in Derp, pseudoscience, broscience, and moderating systems"

That's actually how I ended up publishing my first book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Following Bad Internet Advice And Getting Awesome Results; A Case Study In Maximized Intake of Dextrose, Maltose, and Strawmen.
  • tincanonastring
    auddii wrote: »

dude, you're famous.

Ha, this makes me happy.

I'm thinking of updating the Peeps Wiki page.
  • ndj1979

LOL

That's actually how I ended up publishing my first book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Following Bad Internet Advice And Getting Awesome Results; A Case Study In Maximized Intake of Dextrose, Maltose, and Strawmen.

Is that published yet???
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    I started MFP on 1200 calories, eating frozen healthy choice meals for dinner every night! my first post included the phrase " I thought we were here to support people! You guys are soooo mean!" Omg I'm so embarrassed :# but I started lurking the forums and I learned so much. No more nasty healthy choice for me! So I completely agree to the list!
This discussion has been closed.