Over eat then under eat?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    and this. 24 hour clock:

http://www.saga.co.uk/health/body/body-clock-and-your-health.aspx

You are saying that if a person eats 3,500 calories over maintenance (say at a party) they would not gain that one pound because well, they were good the other 6 days that week? How in the world do you explain that. You eat 3,500 over maintenance for one day and you gain one pound.

If they eat over maintenance on one day they will gain fat acutely. If they then create a deficit the next day or two, totaling 3500 calories, they will lose the fat they gained on that day they over-ate. Over time the summation of all these days of fat gain vs fat loss will determine how much NET FAT they gain or lose.

The point is that it's the effect over time (continually) of fat oxidation vs fat storage. How you partition your calories from a day to day basis is far less important than the average intake over the course of weeks/months.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's a quote from a recent forum post:

"It reminds me of people I know who do weight watchers who starve themselves for some days to save up their points for a big blow out for the weekend. Similar principle it doesn't promote a healthy sustainable way of looking at your food consumption. Just my opinion."

That's exactly my point. If you honestly believe this is healthy and sustainable long term you are sadly mistaken.

To sit there and say "well it works for me...I can over do it a ton of days and not gain weight that week oh and I'm still loosing because I'm under-eating a bunch of days to make up for it too!!" How in the world is that even healthy or sustainable??
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You are saying that if a person eats 3,500 calories over maintenance (say at a party) they would not gain that one pound because well, they were good the other 6 days that week? How in the world do you explain that. You eat 3,500 over maintenance for one day and you gain one pound.

Actually, I'm saying I AGREE with this. If you overeat by 3500 calories in one day (unlikely) you will gain one pound that day. If you undereat by 3500 calories one day (also unlikely) you will lose a pound that day.

Let's say OP is at a 500 cal a day deficit, aiming to lose 1lb/wk. That's about .14 pounds a day. So if OP overate by 500 calories over her TDEE today, she gained about .14 pounds, right? Then the next day she eats 1000 calories under her TDEE. Now she loses that .14 pounds again, plus another .14 pounds. Therefore, that week she will lose weight right on track.

Simple math.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    I think it's one and the same. Show me proof that the body operates on a 24 hour clock EXCEPT when it comes to weight loss.

Well I guess I'm living proof, since I go over my goal some days, stay under my goal on other days, and I have lost weight right on track or even faster than I expected.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options

If they eat over maintenance on one day they will gain fat acutely. If they then create a deficit the next day or two, totaling 3500 calories, they will lose the fat they gained on that day they over-ate. Over time the summation of all these days of fat gain vs fat loss will determine how much NET FAT they gain or lose.

The point is that it's the effect over time (continually) of fat oxidation vs fat storage. How you partition your calories from a day to day basis is far less important than the average intake over the course of weeks/months.

^^^^Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than usual at a party or something, I eat less than usual the next day. That seems to work for me. Some people on here pay attention to weekly calories rather than daily.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just don't overdo it. As long as you're disciplined enough to actually make up for today's surplus tomorrow, it should be ok. The problem comes when you keep exceeding your limit and keep pushing it to the next day.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I do this pretty often. I will have 2000 calorie days and then 1300 calorie days. So far it hasn't hindered my progress. Mostly it happens on days I've worked really late, don't eat much at work to begin with and then have a lot of food to cook/consume when I get home. Sometimes I'm just tired, so I'll try to pack in as much calorie and usually protein dense food as I can and then don't sweat it. I know it will balance out in the long run and it has.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat that chocolate, I'm coming over to your house and take it!! You are only going over by 50 calories... that's nothing!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options

Truth. When I wonder about someone's credibility on the forums, I often look to their profile picture or weight loss ticker for guidance. Based on this guy's picture, I'm pretty sure he knows a thing or two about weight loss and body composition.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I think it's one and the same. Show me proof that the body operates on a 24 hour clock EXCEPT when it comes to weight loss.

Well I guess I'm living proof, since I go over my goal some days, stay under my goal on other days, and I have lost weight right on track or even faster than I expected.

That's great but did you get a professional opinion on this? How is that any different from the weight watchers example I pulled off another forum post? And when you say "under your goal" that means you are eating a deficit to a deficit and not fueling your body with enough fuel. I ask again--how in the world is this sustainable long term? If you want to eat under goal "a bunch of days" why are you even on MFP? That is not the way that MFP (or even Weight Watchers) suggests how to form healthy habits that are sustainable long term.

Good for you for eating "under goal" a "bunch of days" That sounds to me like some sort of disorder.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Truth. When I wonder about someone's credibility on the forums, I often look to their profile picture or weight loss ticker for guidance. Based on this guy's picture, I'm pretty sure he knows a thing or two about weight loss and body composition.

I've actually never been overweight.
  • lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for several weeks, and when on WW the plan allowed for a similar concept of "banking" points. With some conditions. There is a minimum for the low days.

For me, I only use my exercise calories to offset a day I went over goal calories or plan to (special event, weekends, etc.).

For example, the goal calories MFP gives me before exercies is 1200. I always eat at least 1200 even on my low days. If I splurged or plan to splurge within the same week I don't eat back my exercise calories on the non-splurge days, taking my net below 1200 but never for more than a few days.

The scale does fluctuate a lot on a daily basis, (mostly water I am positive because the overage/deficit is rarely more than 500 calories) but I have started using the Libra app to keep me sane since I am a daily weigh-in gal. So even though day to day I may see some dramatic ups and downs, when I look at the trend, or compare the same day of this week to the same day last week I am consistently seeing a loss.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

And when you say "under your goal" that means you are eating a deficit to a deficit and not fueling your body with enough fuel.
    Good for you for eating "under goal" a "bunch of days" That sounds to me like some sort of disorder.

You do realize that a calorie deficit over time, is a requirement for weight loss?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I do this pretty often. I will have 2000 calorie days and then 1300 calorie days. So far it hasn't hindered my progress. Mostly it happens on days I've worked really late, don't eat much at work to begin with and then have a lot of food to cook/consume when I get home. Sometimes I'm just tired, so I'll try to pack in as much calorie and usually protein dense food as I can and then don't sweat it. I know it will balance out in the long run and it has.

Right, see you said "1300" there's people in this topic talking about going under a bunch of days...so under 1,200. When you're going under you're at say...1300. I don't think there's anything healthy about say: 3,000 (Monday), 2,000 (Tuesday), 800 (Wed-Thurs since you're banking a bunch of calories), 1100 (Friday--gotta BANK UP for the weekend) and 2,500 both Sat-Sun. WTF is that. Your body is not a bank and you can't bank up anything.
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Monday - Thursday I usually aim for ~250 calories less than my goal (goal: 1600). This is so on Friday and Saturday when I know we're going out to eat and there's a good chance I'll be over it will average out at the end of week. Sunday I play by ear depending on how the week worked out. I've lost 77lbs and have been doing this most of the time (over a year now) and it is very easily sustainable for me. Yes our sleep cycles and such may go on a 24 hour clock but weight loss/gain is about over time.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

The Circadian rhythym has nothing at all to do with nutrition or digestion. It refers to sleeping cycles.

Broscience is a term used to describe information that mixes a little of this science with a little of that science. Usually, because the person sharing the information doesn't really know that much about science in the first place.
  • Onesnap
    Options

And when you say "under your goal" that means you are eating a deficit to a deficit and not fueling your body with enough fuel.

You do realize that a calorie deficit over time, is a requirement for weight loss?

No, on MFP "under goal" means NET under 1,200 after a workout and not eating your exercise calories back. We're not talking the 500 deficit set by MFP to lose 1 lb per week.
  • Onesnap
    Options

The Circadian rhythym has nothing at all to do with nutrition or digestion. It refers to sleeping cycles.

Broscience is a term used to describe information that mixes a little of this science with a little of that science. Usually, because the person sharing the information doesn't really know that much about science in the first place.

I know all of the science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options

That's great but did you get a professional opinion on this? How is that any different from the weight watchers example I pulled off another forum post? And when you say "under your goal" that means you are eating a deficit to a deficit and not fueling your body with enough fuel. I ask again--how in the world is this sustainable long term? If you want to eat under goal "a bunch of days" why are you even on MFP? That is not the way that MFP (or even Weight Watchers) suggests how to form healthy habits that are sustainable long term.

HAHAHAAHAHA HA HAHA HAHAHA.
    I'm sorry, you just suggested I have an eating disorder and that's the funniest thing I've seen on these forums in a LONG time.

Anyway, you're obviously never going to see the point I (and others) are trying to make, so I give up. You are correct that on a DAILY BASIS, the amount of calories you eat can make you gain weight. But seriously, who cares about daily? The majority of us here want to maintain a healthy weight in the long run. If I gain .1 pounds because I overate one day, I reallllly don't care. As long as I eat sensibly the rest of the week, I'm still going to lose my .5 pounds that week, right on track. I'm pretty sure that's what OP was asking about.

Have a nice day.