This is my second week back and I am a bit confused

Options
aggiegirl121
aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
I've been eating about 1550 calories and burning 1000 a day at the gym. Something is telling me this is unhealthy but I have family members that are saying it's fine. Can someone tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

Thanks in advance,
A.G

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Assuming you're actually burning that many calories at the gym and that you're accurately logging your food you're correct that it isn't healthy.

What are you doing to burn that many calories?

Are you weighing all of your food on a food scale, entering all of your own recipes, and choosing the USDA database entries for maximum accuracy?

How do you feel so far?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie burn? 1000 sounds awfully high and inaccurate.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I'm going to gym twice a day and using the elliptical for about 60 minutes per session. I'm using my polar HRM and I'm also using the sauna for about 45 minutes a day.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    And I actually feel great, more energized than ever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Are you doing that 7 days per week?

And what about the question regarding your logging?
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Last week I did two a days mon- thur and went once fri- sun
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I've been going off of what MFP says regarding the logging
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can you open your diary? I'm not sure you're understanding my question and it'll be better if I can just take a look. Go to My Home>Settings>Diary Settings>Public.

eta: 2 hours of exercise per day is definitely excessive imo. You need rest days, and unless you're training for a specific event one hour per day 6 days per week will be plenty for most people.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Just did
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can you open your diary? I'm not sure you're understanding my question and it'll be better if I can just take a look. Go to My Home>Settings>Diary Settings>Public.

eta: 2 hours of exercise per day is definitely excessive imo. You need rest days, and unless you're training for a specific event one hour per day 6 days per week will be plenty for most people.

Why is two hours a day excessive? As long as she is eating and resting enough to support it and isn't in pain, it's fine. Many athletes exercise twice or three times times more than the amount she is and are in good health.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks. Well, the good news is that you're almost certainly eating more than you think you are.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

That said, I think you should lay off a bit on the exercise. I know in the beginning you're excited and want to do all the things, but you're setting yourself up to burn out and possibly get injured. Try doing an hour per day and taking one day of active rest per week. That means you might walk or do yoga, but nothing too intense.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Why is two hours a day excessive? As long as she is eating and resting enough to support it and isn't in pain, it's fine. Many athletes exercise twice or three times times more than the amount she is and are in good health.

For someone just starting out, not taking rest days, not yet conditioned enough to handle it, and trying to only eat 1500 calories, it's my opinion that it's too much. She's not an athlete yet. She may be if she keeps at it, but imo she should build up gradually.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Thank you for the link and your input.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity and not a criticism at all, but what do you do with a tablespoon of cinnamon? That is A LOT of cinnamon!
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Thats not accurate, I need to be more careful. I've been putting like 1-2 dashes in my oatmeal.