Please help

Options
I've been eating about 1550 calories and burning 1000 a day at the gym. Something is telling me this is unhealthy but I have family members that are saying it's fine. Can someone tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

Thanks in advance,
A.G

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You'll have to give some more info (age, height, weight, etc) that can help provide context. Also, if you are using elliptical machines or treadmills and going by the calorie burn on the machine, those devices can greatly overestimate your true burn rate.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I've been eating about 1550 calories and burning 1000 a day at the gym. Something is telling me this is unhealthy but I have family members that are saying it's fine. Can someone tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

Thanks in advance,
    A.G

Netting that few calories is not good. That being said you may not be getting your numbers right and netting more than you think.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Assuming all of your logging and exercise is 100% accurate...yes, it's unhealthy. You're netting 550 calories a day, which is less than half what you should at minimum. Aim to eat the number MFP gives you plus half of your exercise calories before your body starts to feel the effects.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing 2lbs per week or less, it is fine. If you're losing more than that, you need to make some adjustments.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    As long as you are losing 2lbs per week or less, it is fine. If you're losing more than that, you need to make some adjustments.

Not sure if serious.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Not sure if serious.

Unfortunately based on his history I'm pretty sure he is :(
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Not sure if serious.

Unfortunately based on his history I'm pretty sure he is :(

+1

OP: Do not listen to @TimothyFish.
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am 24 and weigh 199 pounds. My height is 5'2 and I've been using my polar HRM
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that it says you're burning 1000 calories?
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Sorry, I am 24 and weigh 199 pounds. My height is 5'2 and I've been using my polar HRM

It doesn't matter how tall you are or what you weigh 550 net calories will kill you over time...literally. However 1000 calories burned at the gym? You sure?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If your intake and exercise burns are accurate then you are netting far too few calories.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Yes, with those stats your BMR is about 1608, and your TDEE (assuming daily intense exercise) is about 2633. You should be eating back a fair bit of the exercise calories logged into MFP.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    So if I eat 2200 calories and burn 1000 or eat 1800 and burn 500 should I be ok? Btw, my polar watch is what I'm basing my 1000 calories/ day off of.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    So if I eat 2200 calories and burn 1000 or eat 1800 and burn 500 should I be ok? Btw, my polar watch is what I'm basing my 1000 calories/ day off of.

Yes. Just stay above 1200 calories/day.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • bpetrosky
    edited June 2015
    Options

HR monitor watches can overestimate calories, too. Mine is pretty bad about giving me something like 2x what I think it should give me.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind from now on. Thank you for your inout.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The activity matters.
    As sure as jet fuel can't melt steel beams, an HRM can't measure weight lifting calories.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    No problem, good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's unhealthy.