Food to try while in America

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    San Francisco has this slice joint called Serrano's Pizza that makes the *kitten* most badass slices

like you order a "slice" and they bake it individually (it's like 1/4 of a regular pizza)

I think I ate there 3 times the last time I visted (for 1 week lol)

I have eaten pounds and pounds of pizza in my lifetime so I feel qualified to make this recommendation

there's also Una Pizza Napoletana ofc (UPN) which is an incredibly famous Neapolitan joint (and it was an awesome experience to eat there). but if you are going to NYC you have plenty of options for Neapolitan and NY style. Serrano's is a pretty unique twist imo
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    In Hawaii, shave ice and spam musabi
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

You people have got to stop pushing Spam and Scrapple; She'll never want to return!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Matsumoto's
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    In the south:
    Grits with cheese and butter
    BBQ pulled pork with Brunswick stew (Georgia) or hash (South Carolina)
    Fried okra
    Squash n onions
    turnip / collard greens
    Raw Vidalia onion (sweet you can eat it like an apple)
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    While in NY try soft pretzels, sub sandwiches, tastykakes, and scrapple.

Do NOT try scrapple (gross and, besides, that's a Philly thing)

Whenever mom served Scrapple (she loved it) I required lots of ketchup. Acquired taste. I wouldn't say gross. Yeah it's a Philly thing though I grew up west of there.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does the shaved ice really have beans in it? Sounds very strange
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Totally came into this thread to say "chicken and waffles", but you've already got that on your list.
    Don't order clam chowder in New York; those heathens put tomato in it.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    When in NYC don't bother with the street vendor "dirty water" hot dogs or the "soft" (notice that I put that word in quotes...as they are often stale) pretzels. If you want a hot dog you are better off somewhere like Papaya King or Gray's Papaya (and you might as well get a papaya drink to wash it down).

For Jewish deli's I'd recommend Katz's or the 2nd Avenue Deli. I almost never eat red meat...but every few years I will split a pastrami sandwich from Katz's with my husband. And for breakfast, try Barney Greengrass or Russ & Daughters for bagels and smoked fish...or go to Zabar's and marvel at the vast selection of prepared foods. If you are by Russ & Daughters, you also should try a knish from nearby Yonah Schimmel (a knish I can best be described as a Jewish version of an empanada, samosa, or cornish pasty).

There is plenty of bad pizza in NYC (of course even bad New York pizza is better than "good" pizza in much of the country). But there is plenty of great pizza. Some will argue New York's best pizza is found in Brooklyn or Staten Island (with their large Italian populations), but there are many options in Manhattan, where I am guessing you will be spending oat of your time. For a little history with your pizza, try Lombardi's...it's been around since 1905, so they must be doing something right. Or get a slice to go...look for a line. If people are waiting (and you're not in Times Square) it is probably a good sign that the food is worth waiting for.

Although I now live in the south (Florida, but the part of Florida that hasn't been entirely taken over by retirees from Long Island and New Jersey), I spent the first 30+ years of my life in the New York area, which may be why I prefer Dunkin Donuts to Krispy Kreme...but Krispy Kreme's original glazed are divine when fresh and hot.

Cheesesteaks are a Philadelphia thing (as were Tastycakes once upon a time...but I recently discovered them in my local Florida supermarket). But I am sure you will find them throughout the US. The Charley's chain can be found in shopping malls and airports, and they aren't bad, although they don't hold a candle to my favorite cheesesteak, found at The White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City, NJ.

Although I have lived in the South for more than a decade, I only tried chicken and waffles for the first time a few months ago. I have to say they were amazing. The place I went adds a dash of hot sauce to the maple syrup and serves the waffles with strawberry butter. Come to St. Augustine, Florida (America's oldest city...lots of history here) and I will take you to a southern style brunch (you can get a side of mac & cheese). Honestly, most of the best southern style "soul food" in NYC is found in places where tourists seldom visit...but for a rather unique experience, you can make reservations for a Sunday Gospel Brunch where the food can be as inspiring as the music.

Twinkies and Ben & Jerry's you can find anywhere (frankly, I find Twinkies revolting...but the ice cream is always good)..and you shouldn't have any trouble finding Butterscotch Krimpets either. (They're my mom's favorite...she went to college in Philly.)

Don't have any new recommendations for San Francisco (I've visited a few times, but am far from an expert)...but I second the suggestion of Irish coffee at Buena Vista, and some chowder in a sourdough bread bowl somewhere. Cioppino (a kind of seafood stew) is another tasty San Francisco dish.

In Hawaii, shave ice is a refreshing treat. Tuna poke is also yummy (if you don't mind raw fish).

Depending on what time of year you are traveling in the US, expect to find seasonal treats as well. In late summer there is nothing better than fresh New Jersey corn. In the fall, you will find everything pumpkin (seriously, the pumpkin thing has gotten a little out of control).

Now that I'm thinking about New York food, I am really looking forward to my annual summer trip to NYC.
  • geraldaltman
    Options
    Rita's water ice.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/1/29/Hawaii_shave_ice_extras

• KiwiAlexP
    Options

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/1/29/Hawaii_shave_ice_extras

Shaved Ice now definitely on the list - we have nothing like it

• KiwiAlexP
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    When in NYC don't bother with the street vendor "dirty water" hot dogs or the "soft" (notice that I put that word in quotes...as they are often stale) pretzels. If you want a hot dog you are better off somewhere like Papaya King or Gray's Papaya (and you might as well get a papaya drink to wash it down).

For Jewish deli's I'd recommend Katz's or the 2nd Avenue Deli. I almost never eat red meat...but every few years I will split a pastrami sandwich from Katz's with my husband. And for breakfast, try Barney Greengrass or Russ & Daughters for bagels and smoked fish...or go to Zabar's and marvel at the vast selection of prepared foods. If you are by Russ & Daughters, you also should try a knish from nearby Yonah Schimmel (a knish I can best be described as a Jewish version of an empanada, samosa, or cornish pasty).

There is plenty of bad pizza in NYC (of course even bad New York pizza is better than "good" pizza in much of the country). But there is plenty of great pizza. Some will argue New York's best pizza is found in Brooklyn or Staten Island (with their large Italian populations), but there are many options in Manhattan, where I am guessing you will be spending oat of your time. For a little history with your pizza, try Lombardi's...it's been around since 1905, so they must be doing something right. Or get a slice to go...look for a line. If people are waiting (and you're not in Times Square) it is probably a good sign that the food is worth waiting for.

Although I now live in the south (Florida, but the part of Florida that hasn't been entirely taken over by retirees from Long Island and New Jersey), I spent the first 30+ years of my life in the New York area, which may be why I prefer Dunkin Donuts to Krispy Kreme...but Krispy Kreme's original glazed are divine when fresh and hot.

Cheesesteaks are a Philadelphia thing (as were Tastycakes once upon a time...but I recently discovered them in my local Florida supermarket). But I am sure you will find them throughout the US. The Charley's chain can be found in shopping malls and airports, and they aren't bad, although they don't hold a candle to my favorite cheesesteak, found at The White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City, NJ.

Although I have lived in the South for more than a decade, I only tried chicken and waffles for the first time a few months ago. I have to say they were amazing. The place I went adds a dash of hot sauce to the maple syrup and serves the waffles with strawberry butter. Come to St. Augustine, Florida (America's oldest city...lots of history here) and I will take you to a southern style brunch (you can get a side of mac & cheese). Honestly, most of the best southern style "soul food" in NYC is found in places where tourists seldom visit...but for a rather unique experience, you can make reservations for a Sunday Gospel Brunch where the food can be as inspiring as the music.

Twinkies and Ben & Jerry's you can find anywhere (frankly, I find Twinkies revolting...but the ice cream is always good)..and you shouldn't have any trouble finding Butterscotch Krimpets either. (They're my mom's favorite...she went to college in Philly.)

Don't have any new recommendations for San Francisco (I've visited a few times, but am far from an expert)...but I second the suggestion of Irish coffee at Buena Vista, and some chowder in a sourdough bread bowl somewhere. Cioppino (a kind of seafood stew) is another tasty San Francisco dish.

In Hawaii, shave ice is a refreshing treat. Tuna poke is also yummy (if you don't mind raw fish).

Depending on what time of year you are traveling in the US, expect to find seasonal treats as well. In late summer there is nothing better than fresh New Jersey corn. In the fall, you will find everything pumpkin (seriously, the pumpkin thing has gotten a little out of control).

Now that I'm thinking about New York food, I am really looking forward to my annual summer trip to NYC.

Now I'm reminded of the seasonal thing I need to add pumpkin spice latte to the list since we'll be there in October. We have Dunkin Donuts at some airports but I don't really rate them so will try the krispy kreme and find a knish
  • KiwiAlexP
    Options
    Buffalo:

Chicken wings
    Beef on weck
    Sponge candy

Barbeque pulled pork
    Shrimp and grits
    Chicken biscuit

Had to google sponge candy and discovered its what we call a crunchie bar when its dipped in chocolate or hokey pokey on its own. One of those things we make at school in science but a national treasure when added to ice cream. If you ever make it to NZ ask for hokey pokey ice cream - its vanilla with pieces of the candy all through it.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    San Francisco:
    In North Beach, Italian food is in full force, there's plenty to try. Walk off Columbus Ave and go where the locals go, one of my favorite restaurants in SF. Bocce Cafe
    7854205.JPG
    The prices are great, the food is wonderful, and the atmosphere is the best.
    Great bar in North Beach - The Saloon. 529849cca7754258e1e98491fced233b.jpg
    It's small, it's awesome, it's cash only, it's the oldest bar in The City! So much fun there.

In the Richmond district, SF's take on soul food. Hard Knox
    HardKnoxCafe.png
    It is damn good! I lived in the South most of my life and live there again and I still crave Hard Knox. Their ribs are so yummy! Chicken and waffles - yes! They are open for brunch too. Their french toast is so good, sometimes I would get fried chicken and french toast instead of waffles. :) (There's a Hard Knox in the outskirts of Potrero/Dog Patch, but that's nearly Hunter's Point. Tourists want to avoid that area.) There's a soul food place off Market Street, closer to the tourist traps, called Farmer Brown's. It's good, it's bigger, it's way more trendy, but it's not as good as Hard Knox.
    The Richmond has great neighborhood bars! Ireland's 32 san%20francisco%20irish%20bars.jpg
    This was my pub of choice. My favorite hands down.

Buckshot img_5116.jpg is right down there street and it's really fun, more of a college crowd there.

If you end up in The Richmond you must get ice cream from Toy Boat!!
    61d7e52e13_1329265050.jpeg
    YOU HAVE TO! Salted caramel is my fav!
    You can get a ton of great food in The Richmond - Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mexican. These are all local joints, not tourist spots.

The Mission: Hop on a bus and get off in The Mission. You will find a ton of really cool bars and Taquerias everywhere! Pick one. They'll be good.
    One of my absolute favorite San Francisco restaurant is St. Francis Fountain
    628x471.jpg
    This place I miss SO MUCH. You can get diner food, Mexican, breakfast, dessert, candy, milkshakes, etc. I would always get their Huevos Rancheros. So bomb!
    I think the best enchiladas and carnitas verde EVER are at San Jalisco.
    a9fee8295d9aad624e8de1aae9421f3b.jpg
    Eat here!

I could go on and on! Each district has unlimited great places to eat. I would say STAY AWAY FROM CHAIN FOODS. Eat where the locals eat. If you want to go to The Warf, even the venders on the sidewalk are delicious (Pier Market/Guardino's). For a burger go to Pearl's there's two downtown. They are GOOOOOOD, try their milkshakes too! Get a hot fudge sundae from Ghirardelli. There's one by the Warf, best if there's a Giant game while you're in town. Go to a game and get a Ghirardelli hot fudge sundae from there (also, get some Gilroy Garlic Fries)!

There's so much to do and see there. Bring a good pair of sneakers, a hoodie, and just walk around The City. Best way to see SF.

While in New York go to Swing 46! It's a really cool swing and supper club! Live band with awesome food and drinks.

Ok, I'm going to cut myself off now! (I know, I know, TL;DR material right here!)
  • geraldaltman
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You have got to find & try a classic American diner. New Jersey, PA, and Delaware are famous for them. Breakfast lunch dinner. Those open 24 hrs are the best.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I agree with what people are saying about SF and chowder bowls. You should also try to check out Alioto's on the wharf. Really good Italian seafood place. Just try any seafood in SF! Chowder, cioppino, fresh crab. You can also find some more affordable places in Chinatown that isn't necessarily seafood. Or you can stop in Little Italy for a giant slice of pizza.

In New York, try to get into Carlo's Bakery for a cannoli!
  • KiwiAlexP
    Options
    I agree with what people are saying about SF and chowder bowls. You should also try to check out Alioto's on the wharf. Really good Italian seafood place. Just try any seafood in SF! Chowder, cioppino, fresh crab. You can also find some more affordable places in Chinatown that isn't necessarily seafood. Or you can stop in Little Italy for a giant slice of pizza.

In New York, try to get into Carlo's Bakery for a cannoli!

Is Carlo's Bakery the one in the "Cake Boss" tv show?
  • KiwiAlexP
    Options
    Just thought - over here we do savoury meat pies and apart from apple don't have sweet pies at all. Any recommendations?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Just thought - over here we do savoury meat pies and apart from apple don't have sweet pies at all. Any recommendations?

well meat pies are badass, I eat a few every holiday season

blueberry pies are the best fruit pies, anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar