lowering fat percentages

Options
I was recently introduced to the world of fat percent and the lower the percentage , the leaner you.ll be - most people say that its mostly to do with your diet , wich I have been giving some serious attention too, but I just feel like theres more I could be contributing to lowering my percentage in the gym ... wich brings me to this question , does cardio trump weights when it comes to ur fat percentage ? or is it the other way around ?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    From the standpoint of fat percentage alone, cardio trumps weights because the large number of calories that cardio burns will reduce fat much more quickly than lifting weights will increase muscle mass. But increasing muscle mass is a lot faster with weights than it is with cardio.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Strength train to decrease BF% - by challenging your muscles you will retain lean body mass, ensuring that the majority of your weight loss comes from fat when eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Strength train to decrease BF% - by challenging your muscles you will retain lean body mass, ensuring that the majority of your weight loss comes from fat when eating at a calorie deficit.

yup

cardio is for cardiovascular health (doh) and gives bigger immediate calorie burns

but Body Fat % it's mainly about eating at a defecit

weights to maintain as much LBM as you can whilst you eat at a defecit

cardio to boost your calories that you can eat at a defecit

it's a circle

• loganheyneke
    loganheyneke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback ! what about working in both ? cardio and weights with every workout?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do 15-25 mins cardio as a warm up before calisthenics / weights programme 3 times a week
    the rest of the days of the week I try to log around 8-10,000 steps

it worked for me
  • loganheyneke
    loganheyneke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great , seems like im on the right path then ! thanks :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What rabbitjb said.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yes and look at your protein intake to help retain the muscle.