Meal Replacement Shakes/Smoothies Success Stories&Tips

Options
mcr0980
mcr0980 Posts: 30 Member
Hey!

So I've got this bag of strawberry shakeology that I CANNOT STAND. I have tried many ways to mask the flavor but still have to choke down the smoothie I make. But I still like the idea of a meal replacement shake/smoothie, so here's my question:

Is there a supplement or something or other ingredients I can add to my smoothies to get adequate protein so it is a true meal replacement?

Also any tried and true recipes would be awesome, so we can all learn something new.

Replies

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it but meal substitutes are no substitute for real food. Very much a fad thing - if you want to make changes to your lifestyle I would avoid these like the plague - as you said you can't stand drinking them so why do it :) You can get more goodness from eating the right stuff.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Check on pinterest. There are tons of Shakeology recipes there. If you truly don't like it you can return it and get your money back. I have heard that strawberry was the least favorite flavor. I liked the chocolate but it's not worth the money. I am currently using GNC total Lean 25. For me (and many others) it's not a fad. I love having a shake for breakfast and being full all the way to lunch time.
  • mcr0980
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Sorry to say it but meal substitutes are no substitute for real food. Very much a fad thing - if you want to make changes to your lifestyle I would avoid these like the plague - as you said you can't stand drinking them so why do it :) You can get more goodness from eating the right stuff.

I actually enjoy drinking a meal. I love smoothies but don't enjoy drinking calories, so I might as well make one a day a meal. It's also because my schedule doesn't necessarily allow me to eat more than two actual meals a day; what I'm looking for are ways to make a shake or smoothie as nutritious as possible
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mcr0980 wrote: »

I actually enjoy drinking a meal. I love smoothies but don't enjoy drinking calories, so I might as well make one a day a meal. It's also because my schedule doesn't necessarily allow me to eat more than two actual meals a day; what I'm looking for are ways to make a shake or smoothie as nutritious as possible

you don't have five minutes to cook breakfast or make a sandwich ...wow...

if you really must have shakes just buy some whey protein and blend it with some fruit...

shakeology is over priced garbage.
  • jacklfc88
    Options

I have the odd smoothie post workout if I am short on my protein intake for the day, mix it with some greek yoghurt and berries. But it's not a replacement meal it's in addition to.

You must be one hell of a busy girl to not have time to eat! To be blunt, my apologies, but you need to make time.

Getting fit starts in the kitchen.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories... One protien shake before/during/after workout and that's it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you really must have shakes just buy some whey protein and blend it with some fruit...

+1

"I don't have time" is the most used excuse around here.
  • mcr0980
    Options

I agree shakeology is garbage; I have a friend who is a coach and wanted to support her.

• mcr0980
    Options

I have the odd smoothie post workout if I am short on my protein intake for the day, mix it with some greek yoghurt and berries. But it's not a replacement meal it's in addition to.

You must be one hell of a busy girl to not have time to eat! To be blunt, my apologies, but you need to make time.

Two separate unpaid internships and a job that I need to work enough to support myself through college, as well as getting my workout in... Yes I'm on the rather busy side thanks =p

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So many people are against meal replacement shakes. If they don't work in their lifestyle fine, don't have them but for some people it's perfect. I look forward to having them for breakfast. They are quick to prepare, very healthy, gives me a much needed protein boost, and most importantly keeps me full until lunch time. What's so awful about that? I wouldn't want one for every meal but for breakfast it works for me.
  • jacklfc88
    Options

Two separate unpaid internships and a job that I need to work enough to support myself through college, as well as getting my workout in... Yes I'm on the rather busy side thanks =p

Haha fair enough - but it is true about spending time in the kitchen. There are so many good recipes out there that take no more than 15-20 mins. I know because I use them - for example, my lunch hour is spent travelling home from work to let the dog out, making my lunch and getting back again. I only get 20 mins at home and yet I eat a really good meal. I can send you some if you want!

So what I'm saying is, sort your excuses out :D:p
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you don't have ten minutes a day to make a sandwich and some oatmeal?

we are all busy. I run my own company and I still make time to cook my own meals..
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

we are all busy. I run my own company and I still make time to cook my own meals..

lol

OP has time to post about Shakeology but is rather busy with school, work, and exercise

on a serious note, ditch the Shakeology and just follow IIFYM to meet your calorie goal and macros

supplement protein shakes to make protein goal easier

can't really get any easier or less time-consuming than that *kitten* right there. you can go to McD's every day on IIFYM if you want
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Take 10 minutes to throw things in a crockpot and let it cook for 8 hours. Boom, lunch for a week.

Take 5 minutes to scramble eggs, peppers, spinach and some sausage, bake in a muffin pan, boom,
    breakfast for a week.

My point is you don't need that much time to do these things. Probably less time than cleaning our your shake bottle every day.
  • mcr0980
    Options

Oddly enough, today I did make a sandwich. And oatmeal. Before and in between an internship and job. I will work until 1030 tonight and need to be up by 8, so I will not want to eat when I get home. A shake would (gasp!) be perfect to drink while at work tonight around dinner time, as I will not get a break. I would like that shake to keep me full enough to not crave fast, unhealthy food when I return home tonight. Please don't judge my lifestyle because you think I'm making excuses to get out of preparing my own food. My post was asking for help to make the best possible "meal replacement" that I can. Not because it's my way of not making food or being a part of a fad diet, but because it is quick, convenient and something I can sip on while working. I understand you have many ways to refute my reasoning for my decision, but if you're not going to post something constructive please stop commenting.
  • mcr0980
    Options

Haha fair enough - but it is true about spending time in the kitchen. There are so many good recipes out there that take no more than 15-20 mins. I know because I use them - for example, my lunch hour is spent travelling home from work to let the dog out, making my lunch and getting back again. I only get 20 mins at home and yet I eat a really good meal. I can send you some if you want!

So what I'm saying is, sort your excuses out :D:p

I would love if you could send me some of those recipes! Thank you!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oddly enough, today I did make a sandwich. And oatmeal. Before and in between an internship and job. I will work until 1030 tonight and need to be up by 8, so I will not want to eat when I get home. A shake would (gasp!) be perfect to drink while at work tonight around dinner time, as I will not get a break. I would like that shake to keep me full enough to not crave fast, unhealthy food when I return home tonight. Please don't judge my lifestyle because you think I'm making excuses to get out of preparing my own food. My post was asking for help to make the best possible "meal replacement" that I can. Not because it's my way of not making food or being a part of a fad diet, but because it is quick, convenient and something I can sip on while working. I understand you have many ways to refute my reasoning for my decision, but if you're not going to post something constructive please stop commenting.

I did post something constructive, let me re cap for you:

1. take ten minutes a day to fuel you body with real food
    2. stop wasting money on shakelology

good luck to you OP...
  • mcr0980
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

lol

OP has time to post about Shakeology but is rather busy with school, work, and exercise

on a serious note, ditch the Shakeology and just follow IIFYM to meet your calorie goal and macros

can't really get any easier or less time-consuming than that *kitten* right there. you can go to McD's every day on IIFYM if you want

I have ditched the shakeo! I feel like everyone is focusing on that. I'm trying to make my own meal replacement smoothie that doesn't gag me like the shakeo did. Is there a whey protein that is unflavored or anything? That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to make a protein rich smoothie that I can have as a meal on my especially busy days
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

lol

I have ditched the shakeo! I feel like everyone is focusing on that. I'm trying to make my own meal replacement smoothie that doesn't gag me like the shakeo did. Is there a whey protein that is unflavored or anything? That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to make a protein rich smoothie that I can have as a meal on my especially busy days

yes, people here hate Shakeology and anything else like it

it's easiest to just like, drink a protein shake and eat a donut or something. crackers, bread, buy those prepackaged crackers with peanut butter/cheese. anything quick.

keep in mind I'm talking IIFYM here. you will need to sort out your macros

many protein shakes taste passable, some terrible. I generally find vanilla flavored powders to be the least offensive but YMMV. I've had some *kitten* bad vanilla shakes...Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural vanilla is the mildest-tasting one I've had but it is far too expensive these days imo. if you can afford it then go for it. I use MetRX now and it's palatable

if you are determined to have everything in a shaker cup then I'd just go get a weight gainer. it's usually just protein powder + maltodextrin or something similar. or just get a tub of protein powder and a tub of maltodextrin from Amazon or whatever and make your own, then you can adjust the ratio to fit your macros
  • mcr0980
    Options

lol

yes, people here hate Shakeology and anything else like it

it's easiest to just like, drink a protein shake and eat a donut or something. crackers, bread, buy those prepackaged crackers with peanut butter/cheese. anything quick.

keep in mind I'm talking IIFYM here. you will need to sort out your macros

many protein shakes taste passable, some terrible. I generally find vanilla flavored powders to be the least offensive but YMMV. I've had some *kitten* bad vanilla shakes...Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural vanilla is the mildest-tasting one I've had but it is far too expensive these days imo. if you can afford it then go for it. I use MetRX now and it's palatable

if you are determined to have everything in a shaker cup then I'd just go get a weight gainer. it's usually just protein powder + maltodextrin or something similar. or just get a tub of protein powder and a tub of maltodextrin from Amazon or whatever and make your own, then you can adjust the ratio to fit your macros

Generally what I'm aiming is something to add into my fruit smoothies. I generally have water or almond milk, frozen fruit, banana, and ice. So would a vanilla protein powder be my best shot?