Also Chicken

Bitokos
Bitokos Posts: 26 Member
Okay, I don't know why I am failing so hard. I can not find a grilled chicken without an asterisk. I grilled a chicken breast. I tried just grilled chicken, then grilled chicken breast. Boneless skinless chicken, chicken breast raw. Nothing comes up with a good entry that had more than 0 confirmations. Can someone tell me what I need to type to get a valid entry.

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I don't think a grilled chicken breast would have more calories than any other kind would it? Raw weight of chicken breast is 105 cals per 100g I think.
  • Bitokos
    When I type in raw chicken breast, this is the only entry that comes up without an asterisk.

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw.

I will use that one, but I'm not broiling or frying it. I am starting to try to be more accurate on here and everyone says don't use foods with asterisks.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    You can't find it because calories can vary pretty widely depending on how you grill it. Did you use oil, a marinade? How much? How done is it? The more cooked it is the less water there is. That changes the weight. It doesn't add or destroy calories, but does make figuring them out harder.

All that to say, weigh your chicken raw then log any oil used separately.
    Oh and try adding USDA to the search.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Did you weigh it raw or after cooking? If after cooking, you need the cooked entry, but it doesn't have to be grilled specifically, just go for dry heat. If it was a skinless boneless breast look for the non-asterisk entry similar to the following:

Chicken-breast, meat only, cooked, dry heat (or if necessary: cooked, broiled or cooked, roasted) -- all of those should be about the same as grilled.

If possible (which it usually is with boneless breast, just keep track of the pieces you plan to eat), weigh it raw and use the raw entry.

One tip for finding the non-asterisk entries for chicken is using the hyphen: chicken-breast.

The thread linked above is super helpful, also.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Bitokos wrote: »
    When I type in raw chicken breast, this is the only entry that comes up without an asterisk.

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw.

I will use that one, but I'm not broiling or frying it. I am starting to try to be more accurate on here and everyone says don't use foods with asterisks.

"Broiler or fryers" is a description of chickens intended for consumption rather than laying hens. It doesn't necessarily mean cooking method.
  • Bitokos
    Thanks for the help, I've read that post and that is the point of my frustration. I type in Chicken Breast, AS SHOWN in the screen shot and I do not get the same results. I've typed in Chicken - Breast and I do not get good results. It used to pop up immediately. Did they remove a bunch of the non asterisked entries for chicken?

Beemer, thanks for the advice I will use that entry.

Kristy, I grilled it on a George Foreman with no oil, marinade or any additives. Chicken Breast only.
  • Bitokos
    It also looks like the entry I've always used for bananas is gone. It is out of my recently used foods as well. So weird.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    The bananas one disappears constantly--it seems to be a common bug here.

I found the "chicken-breast, broilers and fryers, meat only, cooked, roasted" entry without problem, which should be about the same. Don't know if there used to be broiled and grilled ones (kind of think so). You can also get the information from the USDA and make your own, but I probably would not bother.

What matters is not how you plan to cook it, but the state it's in when you weigh it. If you weigh raw (which is ideal, if possible), then use the raw entry beemer mentioned. If you weighed cooked, then that will understate your calories since the chicken shrinks when you cook it.