All Fitbit Users Please...

Options
I have been thinking about purchasing one for at the least motivation to get moving. I would just like to know which one do you have? Do you like it? Is it helpful? What real purpose does it serve for you with your weightloss or maintaining?

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Also thinking about this! Really interested to hear people's thoughts.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It boils down to what you would like your fit bit to do and what you want to track.

http://www.fitbit.com/compare

I have the Fitbit Charge. I like it. It holds its battery pretty well. It automatically tracks sleep without me having to remember to put it in sleep mode. It's a reminder for me to get up and move more.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have the One and I'm very happy with it. Have worn it since Christmas 2013. Recently Hubby got a One, and my son got a Flex. Son didn't like the Flex, as he felt it didn't count steps when he was holding things. Like walking the dogs and holding a leash - his arm didn't swing like normal. Didn't count steps. So he traded it for a One.

Research the different models and their features. Try to figure out what works for you. Its a great tool to measure your daily activity, and the social challenge features are nice as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have the One and I'm very happy with it. Have worn it since Christmas 2013. Recently Hubby got a One, and my son got a Flex. Son didn't like the Flex, as he felt it didn't count steps when he was holding things. Like walking the dogs and holding a leash - his arm didn't swing like normal. Didn't count steps. So he traded it for a One.

Research the different models and their features. Try to figure out what works for you. Its a great tool to measure your daily activity, and the social challenge features are nice as well.

It is a myth that you have to swing your arms to get steps counted with a Flex.

I have a Flex and love it. I swim and do water aerobics so I needed something that can be worn in water and the Flex is the only Fitbit model that qualifies. I have found the step count to be very accurate and the estimated calorie burn also seems to be closer than any other estimates. The longer you wear it, the more accurate it will get because it will have more data to calculate from.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Was not a myth for my son. He went on a walk w/ my husband & 2 dogs. Flex showed very few steps for a 2 mile walk.

The Flex IS the only Fitbit device that is water resistant. Surprised they didn't go there with some of the newer models.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I started with a flex and downgraded to a Zip because I wanted to wear it in my bra or pocket

I was successful with both - both losing and maintaining - it was accurate estimates (after a few weeks of getting used to it)

And I wouldn't be dressed without my fitbit now

I am not keen on the wristband HRM versions though - I think it's marketing spiel gone wrong and will not be any more accurate an estimate than a basic one .. because the formulae that underpin an HRM conversion to calories is accurate in steady-state cardio only .. I use a chest-band HRM during purposeful cardio / workouts and overwrite fitbit steps on MFP

that said others seem to love them but they've never been able to counteract my scepticism
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    They are nothing but a high tech gimmick although some people find them motivating. I have never felt the need to have my steps counted by a high tech gadget or a mechanical pedometer.
  • earlnabby
    Options

The Flex IS the only Fitbit device that is water resistant. Surprised they didn't go there with some of the newer models.

They actually tried but could not guarantee the results. The Charge HR originally was rated water resistant to 5 meters but proved unreliable in real-life testing so it was downgraded to "splash proof" by the time it was released to the general public.

• earlnabby
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I started with a flex and downgraded to a Zip because I wanted to wear it in my bra or pocket

I was successful with both - both losing and maintaining - it was accurate estimates (after a few weeks of getting used to it)

And I wouldn't be dressed without my fitbit now

I am not keen on the wristband HRM versions though - I think it's marketing spiel gone wrong and will not be any more accurate an estimate than a basic one .. because the formulae that underpin an HRM conversion to calories is accurate in steady-state cardio only .. I use a chest-band HRM during purposeful cardio / workouts and overwrite fitbit steps on MFP

that said others seem to love them but they've never been able to counteract my scepticism

I'm kind of skeptical too. I may be replacing my flex in the not too distant future and have thought about going with something that has a HRM, but I am leading towards "no" for just that reason. I am not sure I will get any more useful information than I am already, especially because of the swimming.

• lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a One and think it really helps in terms of motivation. Initially I ordered the Flex but didn't like the feeling when wearing it on the wrist. Also, I wanted to be able to wear it every day and the flex just doesn't seem right for some of the more elegant outfits I have.
    It doesn't have a display either. With the One you can always check how many steps, floors, miles you have taken already during the day.
  • Racharmarie
    Racharmarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do they work in a workout class? I do a lot of at home workouts, so I would love to find something that works well for both when I am out and about around the farm and when I do my actual workouts!!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    How do they work in a workout class? I do a lot of at home workouts, so I would love to find something that works well for both when I am out and about around the farm and when I do my actual workouts!!

Any step based tracker will work great for workouts, except things like lifting, swimming, and biking. You really need some kind of heart rate monitor for those activities (except lifting, nothing is very accurate determining calorie expenditure when doing that) if you are not going to use general database calculations.

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I find this interesting because I walk my dogs 6-7 days/week and never had an issue with it counting steps when walking them. I even did the route without the dogs to double-check and the readings were within 50 steps of one another.

I found another solution to get steps counted when doing things where my arms are stationary (i.e., mowing the lawn with a push mower), I just put it in my pocket and I get a pretty accurate step count.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a One and love it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a link to the FitBit Group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

There is a ton of information there: FAQ's and such

Most trackers are good at tracking step based workouts. Some trackers will link up to separate heart rate monitor, this is better for steady state cardio (cycling, swimming, zumba)....not Hiit, not circuit training or intervals. NO tracker and no heart rate monitor, is going to give you accurate estimates for strength training. ALL have limitations.

I have a FitBit One - I like that it counts stairs (Flex doesn't) - I like that it's descrete - It motivates me to get off my butt.

A "real purpose" for an activity tracker. There are people that have a few active days (ie: waitress) - but more sedentary days. An activity tracker helps you sort that out. You can find a more accurate average. Tracking steps on an old fashioned pedometer....and writing them down....would accomplish pretty much the same thing.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I find this interesting because I walk my dogs 6-7 days/week and never had an issue with it counting steps when walking them. I even did the route without the dogs to double-check and the readings were within 50 steps of one another.

I found another solution to get steps counted when doing things where my arms are stationary (i.e., mowing the lawn with a push mower), I just put it in my pocket and I get a pretty accurate step count.

The main problem with things like a mower (or a shopping cart or stroller for some people) is that the constant vibration will sometimes confuse the tracker and it doesn't know if the vibration is from a device or a step, so it doesn't count it. I have walked while holding my arm completely still (in front of me watching my phone set to the app) and every step was counted. I have also manually counted, then checked the Fitbit count and they were dead on. I have also sat in a chair and swung my arm like I do when walking and got no steps counted. Occasionally you can get a false step if you jerk your arm, but it seems to be balanced out by the occasional missed step. Overall, they are very accurate.

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input sounds like the fitbit One is very popular I will do some comparing and invest in one.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input sounds like the fitbit One is very popular I will do some comparing and invest in one.

Decide according to your needs and your lifestyle. I chose to not go with the One for 2 reasons: I needed something I could wear 24/7 including in the water and I tend to be absent minded and the chances of me forgetting to clip my One on in the morning or throwing it in the laundry with the bra I would wear it on are high.

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Started with a ZIP as it was cheapest but I didn't like having to buy batteries. Have a ONE now and it is great (had it replaced as original didn't work). I only care about the steps to help my awareness of being active so that is why I have the one. Very basic and affordable and also very small so it fits in my pocket or on my belt and doesn't get in the way. FITBIT support is easy to work with and like I stated when I had issues with the ONE they sent me a free replacement when their steps (reset, recharge, etc) didn't work. The community is large so you can get friends and challenges which does help the motivation. It was a big part of my fitness and weight loss.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have the zip, very affordable and it clips to my sports bra or whatever I may be wearing, you do have to replace the batteries from time to time but they are cheap. I really love mine.