Do you prefer to be anonymous here?

Options
13»

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm actually Tom Brady but prefer to use this dude's ugly mug as my avatar to maintain my anonymity

Bahaha yes and I'm actually Gisele Bundchen- the picture is my personal assistants daughter so I can remain anonymous
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't care about anonymity but I'd prefer out not have people I know on here just because we'd end up disagreeing on stuff. I can bite my tongue when I hear bad info every once in a while irl. I bite it when my sister in law insists you must eat 6 small meals. I bite it when a coworker goes on about carbs. I bite it when a family member warns about eating eggs and cholesterol. But hearing it daily on here would be very annoying. I keep my fitness and diet talk to a bare minimum irl because no one wants to here "eat what you want but count those calories."
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I don't care about anonymity but I'd prefer out not have people I know on here just because we'd end up disagreeing on stuff. I can bite my tongue when I hear bad info every once in a while irl. I bite it when my sister in law insists you must eat 6 small meals. I bite it when a coworker goes on about carbs. I bite it when a family member warns about eating eggs and cholesterol. But hearing it daily on here would be very annoying. I keep my fitness and diet talk to a bare minimum irl because no one wants to here "eat what you want but count those calories."

Really good point!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    actually, one of the main reasonsa I'm anonymous on here is that aside from my husband, I don't talk to anyone about trying to lose weight or get fitter. Not that they would judge me or anything, I just don't see the point. If people IRL knew I was actively trying to lose weight, they might want to talk to me about it, and I don't want to discuss it.
  • BeautifulLoser1985
    BeautifulLoser1985 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Jesus... This post just convinced me to switch my profile pic
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Definitely anonymous. As noted by others, there are too many crazy and/or malicious people out there to take a chance on somebody finding me in real life and causing problems. I have also seen very bad things happen when somebody takes an Internet grudge to the real world.

I use this username on no other site and I will never post a picture or say where I work, etc. It's just not worth the risk.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm anonymous here, I wouldn't mind if people knew me.... but it is unlikely, as I live in Chile. I haven't met anyone here from my country. I like the way this site works, I like the people I find, and I love the fact that although people are contients away sometimes, they still care....I think some people work better "undercover", less preassure. People you know in real life always have an opinion, here you can just ignore them.
  • tiffboutin123
    tiffboutin123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Idk anyone here
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm actually Tom Brady but prefer to use this dude's ugly mug as my avatar to maintain my anonymity

Bahaha yes and I'm actually Gisele Bundchen- the picture is my personal assistants daughter so I can remain anonymous

Evening dear. Did you put the kids to bed or should I go tuck them in?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm really a beer can.or maybe I'm the water can? Can't remember which.......

If you can't remember, then you are probably the beer can. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay a little anonymous, but at some point I put up a picture of myself from the front (usually use the back of my head) and that kind of went out the window.

I have some people on my friends list who I know from another online community. These are people who are also Facebook friends and we have each other's home addresses, so there is a level of trust. We've know each other online for 7 or 8 years. I've met one person here who has my real name and some of my contact information. A few people are FitBit friends, so they probably have enough information to track me down if they wanted to do so. There are several people on my friends list who I would love to hang out with in real life and I wouldn't worry at all about giving them my information.

At some point, I think that you have to use your instincts. Sometimes you get to know people well enough from these interactions that letting them know a little bit about who you are does not feel uncomfortable...at least for me.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm anonymous because I feel embarassed that I am trying to become healthier. Weird, right? Isn't everyone trying to be healthier, however they define "healthy." I struggle with severe social anxiety though, so this allows for me to participate freely, without sharing who I am. With that said, while my name isn't Dani, the letters are parts of my name. I used this handle anywhere I need to feel hidden.

Also, you can call me Dani. I'll answer to it :smile:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    I'm anonymous because I feel embarassed that I am trying to become healthier. Weird, right? Isn't everyone trying to be healthier, however they define "healthy." I struggle with severe social anxiety though, so this allows for me to participate freely, without sharing who I am. With that said, while my name isn't Dani, the letters are parts of my name. I used this handle anywhere I need to feel hidden.

Also, you can call me Dani. I'll answer to it :smile:

Culturally, it seems the acceptable norm is usually overeating and indulgence. It IS weird that any of us might feel embarrassed about healthy habits. I have found myself getting over some of it (out of necessity). I might not talk about it in public (unless asked), but now everyone in our work building can identify me as the woman who walks a lot in and around the building. Still, I am a work in progress and continue to work on doing what's best for me without feeling the need to explain it.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I have no shame.