Lifting Knowledge Please

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure all Planet Fitness has free personal trainers and they will work with you and give you a routine. When I first started a few years ago that is where I began. The trainer was pretty thorough and even watched us as we tried a few of the machines and recommended what weight to start with and when to increase the weight. Yes a barbell based program such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength or NROLFW would be a more efficient approach, but without knowing if your Planet Fitness has actual free weights or if you would have access to another gym, I would recommend using whatever tools you have available in the mean time.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    didn't read the thread past the OP since the answer is simple:

as a new female lifter all you need to do is gain access to a barbell and squat/power rack and decide between:

stronglifts
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting for women

if you can't get that equipment at your gym then find a different gym

I know PF is cheap (I was a member for two years...) but there is a reason it is so cheap
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Stronglifts recommendations. I wouldn't bother doing splits (different body parts) as a few have recommended. A full body routine like Stronglifts should be great for you.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    th?id=JN.adG6DaShmJAgTkmdpahIBQ&pid=15.1
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    Agree with the Stronglifts recommendations. I wouldn't bother doing splits (different body parts) as a few have recommended. A full body routine like Stronglifts should be great for you.

yeah splits are generally for bodybuilding, which is why they're usually full of accessory lifts...

the starter programs will focus on compound lifts

ALL U NEED

and some pullups and rows

done
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great training programs for beginners online but what is your goal? Is it to lost weight only? Build muscle? Increase strength? Is there a certain body part you want to pay special attention to (for example, I do extra glute training)? There are a couple of different routes you can take for each but Stronglifts is a great place to start.

When you say the circuit do you mean the pre-organized circuit of machines at Planet Fitness? What kinds of weights and setsxreps are you doing with the circuit?

What does your cardio routine currently look like?

I have many questions! :smile:

Losing weight is currently a major goal for me, but I would also like to be strong. I want definition and muscle. I ate using this word, but I don;t want to be "skinny fat". My highest weight was 226.8lbs, so I want to avoid gaining more loose skin. I am trying to get rid of my bat wings. I have a lot of tummy fat that seems to like to stick around while the rest of me is thinning out. LOL I have no delusions that I will be skinny and toned perfectly, I just would like to feel good in my own skin if that makes sense.

At PF they have an interval type circuit. 10 weight machines and 10 steps. You alternate between machine and step doing 1 minute each on them with 30 seconds in between the machines. The machines alternate between arms and legs and there is one machine that works abdominal muscles. I have a list of the machines in my exercise journal. But it's a variety of lifting, pulling, and whatnot. I usually do 70 lbs on legs and 40 lbs on arms and try to do at least 20-25 reps in the minute. This is a heavy lift for me. I can feel the burn :)

I always start out with 15-30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5mph and 7% lift to warm everything up before the circuit. I usually go to the ARC or Elliptical afterwards for 30 minutes and do the trainer mode that tells you when to change directions, go a certain speed, etc. I honestly hate the bicycle and do it as little as possible.

On Sundays, I call this my Sweatfest day. I spend around 2 hours at the gym and do everything. 30 minutes Treadmill, 30 minutes circuit, 30 minutes elliptical, and 30 minutes ARC.

Ask away, if you can help I am all for it :)
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    Oh and what are your current macro goals?

Whatever MFP told me to do:

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

I am usually right on with fat, low on carbs, and high on Protein.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

Fat and Protein you can look at more like minimums and carb as a maximum-Hopefully that made sense...coffee wearing off.
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all Planet Fitness has free personal trainers and they will work with you and give you a routine. When I first started a few years ago that is where I began. The trainer was pretty thorough and even watched us as we tried a few of the machines and recommended what weight to start with and when to increase the weight. Yes a barbell based program such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength or NROLFW would be a more efficient approach, but without knowing if your Planet Fitness has actual free weights or if you would have access to another gym, I would recommend using whatever tools you have available in the mean time.

Our PF is new. Opened in April this year. They have 1 PT and he has 5 sessions that are for building your own workout plan. 4 of them are while I am at work, and the other one is late at night and he always has a full schedule wise. :(
  • gurlofgod
    gurlofgod Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My gym offers BodyPump classes, which I LOVE! Really helped me to learn proper form and it works all the muscles!!
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I am tabbing back and forth between the thread and the stronglisfts. LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    gurlofgod wrote: »
    My gym offers BodyPump classes, which I LOVE! Really helped me to learn proper form and it works all the muscles!!

Not really strength training though. Body pump is resisted cardio, anything over 15ish reps and you are going into muscular endurance training, not strength training.
  • Jackie9950
    Options

Yeah...This morning they were passing out bagels and cream cheese. That's is probably the only thing I don;t care for at that gym, is pushing pizza, tootsie rolls, and bagels on people.
  • Azexas
    Options

Yeah...This morning they were passing out bagels and cream cheese. That's is probably the only thing I don;t care for at that gym, is pushing pizza, tootsie rolls, and bagels on people.

I hated bagel Tuesdays when I was a member. The leg press was right next to the table with the fresh bagels. I'm not sure how I manages to not take one bagel haha. Thankfully a new/ better gym opened up closer to my house and was around the same price.
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

Fat and Protein you can look at more like minimums and carb as a maximum-Hopefully that made sense...coffee wearing off.

So, I am doing ok with those, right?
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    gurlofgod wrote: »

The local YMCA is doing a summer special and I thought about joining just for the WOW classes. "Women on Weights" That is a downfall of PF, no classes...
  • Azexas
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

So, I am doing ok with those, right?

Those are the %'s you listed. Protein should be around 0.8g per pound of body weight. Take your weight and then times it by the 0.8g and that should be around your protein goal. I'm eating around 130G of protein/ 50G Fat/ 130G carb.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I would also advise doing StrongLifts 5x5 but if you are at Planet Fitness you will not be able to get very far with lifting due to their rules and regulations..... also avoid the bagels and pizza at PF -- you should look for a real gym to work out in if you have any available in your area.
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    I would also advise doing StrongLifts 5x5 but if you are at Planet Fitness you will not be able to get very far with lifting due to their rules and regulations..... also avoid the bagels and pizza at PF -- you should look for a real gym to work out in if you have any available in your area.

I avoid all foods offered at PF. We have a 24 hour fitness and a YMCA. I chose it because it is within walking distance from my work. Once the year is up I am hoping they will have more options available.