I am a size 22, recovering from sleep apnea. Life happened. I quit smoking, broke my back,

Options
It all started when I moved away from Spokane to Stephenville TX and no longer had access to my YMCA and my kickboxing class. Then I was 137 and a size 3. In 2010, I was 147 and a size 4. Now, I couldn't make it through 5 minutes of that class. The extra weight has put a terrible strain on my knee and I'm still having issues with my back. I quit smoking and I had sleep apnea really bad, and I'm claustrophobic, so I couldn't handle the mask. I had no idea sleep apnea could cause such issues with metabolism, but I'm well schooled on that now. I've had 6 surgeries and each time a life event happened, broke my back, went to grad school, I'd gain a little and then go on a diet (I'm pretty good at maintaining...it's the losing I have issue with) The last time, I started well (Jan 2014) I lost 27 lbs between January and June. That's an average of 4.5lbs a week! But then I just hit a wall. I plateaued and didn't lose anything for 7 weeks. I didn't cheat, just didn't lose until finally...I gave up. What I've learned since is, I should have at that point incorporated more exercise to boost that metabolism. I had gotten down to 207 and I could just smell wonderland. That is possibly why I held on so hard for 7 whole weeks, not cheating, not losing. Now I've gained back the 27 plus 3 more. I went from 137, had my son and bottomed out at 147 (size 4) to now I weighed in on Monday and I was 237, an all time high for me. I'm 233.6, 5'3, and 157 is a good starting goal for me. I'll start with the 80 lbs, and then slowly work my way to the total of 100 lbs I need to lose. I need support through the plateaus. That is when I recognize I get discouraged and even after a good fight, quit. As long as I see results, it's difficult, but I waddle on toward my goal.

Replies

• Seagoat0175
    Seagoat0175 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was also much smaller and I'm at an all time high due to quitting smoking, hurting my back repeatedly and having to stay in bed where all you can do is just eat. 2.5 years ago I was 145 lbs but I wanted to get down to 135 or 130. I was 233.6 when I began using MFP again. This Saturday will be my third weigh in. So far, I've lost 5.4 lbs. I'm hoping to lose 98 - 88 lbs in time. I'll definitely add you as a friend, as I could use the motivation from time to time as well :)
  • logancsmama
    logancsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think I told you at some point I am not good at finding responses on here or making them, but I'm glad I found yours. It seems we have a great deal in common. I did notice your diet and it seems your calorie intake is set much higher and your protein is also set higher. I had lost 34 lbs so far, but this morning....I'd gained 2, no cheating, fighting to get all the calories in and yet, keep the fat, salt, and sugar in range....it's not easy and I failed today going over on fat, and under on everything else. I've been stuck for about 4 days, and now gained the 2. I used to get super discouraged when something like this happened, and then I remembered, I always gain about 5 lbs once a month and then it dumps....even though I have had a hysterectomy. I'll give it another 5-6 days and if I'm still stuck, may have to make some sort of change....How are you doing right now? You haven't been posting lately..... Laura
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you need to do is give yourself more credit - You've had an awful lot happen to you in a short space of time and you've come out strong and fighting. Well done. You're obviously a strong woman so don't be discouraged or saddened by the number on the scales. You can change that and it sounds as though you have the basic idea of how to go about doing that. It sounds like you need motivation and support which you will most certainly find here in these forums. Weight loss can be a tricky business but if you stick to it, you can get exactly where you want to be. Of course it isn't going to be easy but you've made a really good start and you should be proud of yourself. Welcome back to the world of weight loss - and what a journey it will be x