No period following weight loss :-(

Options
Hey so this one is for the ladies only. I'm a 28 y/o woman who has been healthy eating/dieting and started exercising a couple months ago. I lost just over a stone/that's 20lbs. I workout about 4/5 times a week (cardio), however my period did not come this month which never usually happens. I'm not pregnant (took a test), could anyone offer advice?! I'm 5"7 and weigh 10 stone (140lbs). Thanks!

Replies

• ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am also 28, a woman, have lost the same amount of weight, and weigh similar to you now. I noticed my periods getting lighter, and my usual very regular periods were now 2 or 3 weeks late. I think the change in routine can sometimes be reflected by hormonal changes. Yours might just be coming later now
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been skipping periods as well since losing 80 pounds. I asked two different GYNs and they both said that it's normal to skip a period once in a while. Typically if I start cutting too much I don't get a period until I eat closer to maintenance again.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    How late are you? I wouldn't worry about it unless it skips another month. You say you're eating healthy, so, at least 1200 calories? And not just destroying yourself during work outs?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and I've been doing this for 8 weeks now. I did notice my period was very light this last time. I was hoping it was menopause. :) But I guess not. :(
  • alizeepa
    alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How late are you? I wouldn't worry about it unless it skips another month. You say you're eating healthy, so, at least 1200 calories? And not just destroying yourself during work outs?

It varies but usually over 1200 for sure. I do burn on average around 800 cals a day though when I work out. And I workout most days

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    alizeepa wrote: »

It varies but usually over 1200 for sure. I do burn on average around 800 cals a day though when I work out. And I workout most days

Do you eat those 800 calories back or are you only eating 1200 calories of food?
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

That link is for women that have gone 6 months without a period. Good info though.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    800 is a large calorie burn for every day, I feel like. I think I've only ever burned that many calories in a work out once in the past 4 years, lol (though I know other do regularly). If you're working out enough every day to burn that much then I feel like that could definitely attribute to a missing or late period. Of course, I'm not a doctor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been skipping periods as well since losing 80 pounds. I asked two different GYNs and they both said that it's normal to skip a period once in a while. Typically if I start cutting too much I don't get a period until I eat closer to maintenance again.

I've been to only my one regular GYN and he wasn't concerned either. He said "I would be more surprised if you didn't have some sort of changes in your cycle." And I notice the connection with how much I eat as well.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Happened to me about 4-5 months after I'd reached my target weight after losing about 65 lbs, so I guess it can take a while for hormones to adapt.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor. I'm sure it's common, but it could be a sign of another condition or illness, so just make sure to clear it out of the way.

(Also... not to scare you, but pregnancy tests aren't always accurate. Just go rule that out too).
  • riss526
    riss526 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've always had my time of the month like clock work, but I started an exercise and dieting regimen about 3 weeks ago and my June period that should have started on 1st of the month is still MIA. I've taken 2 tests and both are negative, and the likelihood I could be pregnant, negative test aside, is slim to none. I'm thinking that sudden change in diet and jumping right into exercise has confused my body and maybe that's why my period didn't come.