How much olive oil is too much?

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello. I am Daniel. I love (and may be addicted to) olive oil.

I'm pretty liberal with it, too. When you're cooking with it -- are you really consuming 119 calories per TBSP? Because if so, I have to think I'd be 300lbs heavier on crispy salmon skin alone.

What about you? When cooking do you tend to measure it out and take care not to overdo it? Or do you pour a few lines into a hot pan and throw caution to the wind?

Can too much olive oil actually work against an otherwise really solid diet?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/497351-can-too-much-extra-virgin-olive-oil-be-bad-for-your-health/

It's obviously calorie-dense. Is it really as healthy as I've read in so many various articles?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories. So yes, I measure it out and log it. It's too much when it causes you to go over your calories or forces you to give up the rest of your food because you have eaten hundreds of calories of oil. So yes, if you go over your deficit by hundreds of calories of olive you, it will go against your diet.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    This is probably a little too much for a balanced diet...

8361.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and use almost exclusively olive oil--extra virgin cold press. It's a fat, and as such should be under control with the rest of your macros. For myself, I measure it out very carefully--as they say--too much of a good thing and all. Fit it into your fat allowance and you'll be fine. B)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can safely ignore that article in your link. Eat/use as much as you want. Log it.
    It is not any healthier than some other oils. They can have important properties as well.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories. So yes, I measure it out and log it. It's too much when it causes you to go over your calories or forces you to give up the rest of your food because you have eaten hundreds of calories of oil. So yes, if you go over your deficit by hundreds of calories of olive you, it will go against your diet.

I usually log oil but it's an estimate and it's almost always about half of what I think I actually used. If I'm cooking something with oil I know that a good amount of it is going to get left in the pan and I won't be consuming it.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if you're using several tablespoons per meal each day, they can surely add up... I try to limit myself to 1/2 T when I cook with EVOO in a meal, as I like to save my fats for other things like peanut butter & sometimes avocado
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I measure it and log it all. When I am done cooking there is none left in the pan. But I don't pour in loads either. 1.5 T is the most I use at a time and that is usually for something that is more than one serving.