Meal replacement bars

Options

Replies

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are good. I like the caramel nut.

Wow, the only other person on this thread who loves Pure Protein bars?!

They are my go-to for horse shows, work or dinner on the run! Delicious and pretty filling! I make sure to drink at least a cup or two of water as well, as that helps me feel less hungry also.

My favorite flavors are the chocolate deluxe and the chocolate chip cookie! But with all these votes for Quest bars, I may need to try them too.

@ceoverturf they might not be enough for the typical guy's meal, but they're normally enough for *many* ladies :) I often completely skip lunch in the summer.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Wow, the only other person on this thread who loves Pure Protein bars?!

They are my go-to for horse shows, work or dinner on the run! Delicious and pretty filling! I make sure to drink at least a cup or two of water as well, as that helps me feel less hungry also.

My favorite flavors are the chocolate deluxe and the chocolate chip cookie! But with all these votes for Quest bars, I may need to try them too.

@ceoverturf they might not be enough for the typical guy's meal, but they're normally enough for *many* ladies :) I often completely skip lunch in the summer.

Thank you I will have to look into those as well.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I LOVE Pure Protein. Good numbers and they taste amazing! I buy them at Costco where they're less than half the price of Quest bars which to me are in the same range as far as taste. The Chocolate Peanut Caramels are better than candy bars!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I love Quest bars...don't get me wrong. But at ~200 calories each, I'd hardly call them a meal replacement bar.

Why not just eat a regular lunch around say 11:00?

Sometimes there just isn't time or availability of food.

Sometimes I'll hike all day and won't carry a stove, fuel, pot/utensils, and food. Because it is just for the day... so I'll carry this type of food.

Sometimes it is because I'm driving either in a rural area or just don't have time or available calories to eat at the most convenient fast food joint. I know what you are thinking... you don't have 5 min.?! No, sometimes I do not. Things like Clif bars survive in the glove box of a hot car and are quick and easy to grab while going down the road.

ETA: I know you were addressing OP, but wanted to point out there are many reasons why someone would not be able to eat a "regular" meal.

Understood...but the only info we had on OP was she had class from noon to 5. That implies plenty of time in the morning to eat. Obviously she has since clarified.

And I'd say a Clif builder bar is probably closer to a meal replacement than a Quest bar (though neither is specifically designed as such).

Like I said, I eat Quest (and Clif) bars semi-regularly. Just didn't want people to get the idea that they were designed to serve as meal replacements...that's all.

ETA: I admittedly missed the part about having appointments before class. Still have a hard time endorsing any sort of 'bar' as a meal replacement on a regular basis.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    With all this talk of Pure Protein bars, I took a look at the macro content and noticed they do have a fairly high level of protein compared to Clif bars. I tried some Pure Protein awhile back (Chocolate Delux) and hated the taste. I love the taste of Clif bars, but as I am trying to increase protein consumption, I'm looking for other alternatives. Quest was suggested because of the higher protein content.

I almost want to take a day and use my calories to taste various brands/flavors to find something that tastes good and is higher in protein.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are first on my list especially in the morning when I don't have time to eat before I start work.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Quest bars if you are buying them. If you want something homemade, there are lots of bar recipes and you can take nuts/fruit to supplement on the side. Good luck!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I can't remember how but somehow on Quest's website I got them to send me two free samples! Try that.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I can't remember how but somehow on Quest's website I got them to send me two free samples! Try that.

E-mail the customer service that you are interested in trying the bars. They will e-mail you asking which bars you would like to try- I totally did the same thing haha
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    And I'd say a Clif builder bar is probably closer to a meal replacement than a Quest bar (though neither is specifically designed as such).

Like I said, I eat Quest (and Clif) bars semi-regularly. Just didn't want people to get the idea that they were designed to serve as meal replacements...that's all.

ETA: I admittedly missed the part about having appointments before class. Still have a hard time endorsing any sort of 'bar' as a meal replacement on a regular basis.

Agreed. A Quest bar can be a good fill in if you're getting the right amount of calories elsewhere in the day, but for most people 160-210 calories is not enough calories or nutrients to replace the average person's lunch. It's better than nothing for many and can definitely fit in to a day, but it'd be best supplemented by some fats and vegetables/fruit to make a meal.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Like I said, you can adjust calories to heart's content if you make them yourself. It's only three ingredients (without the preservatives).

QUEST BARS (Homemade Recipe)

http://www.amazon.com/Vitafiber-Basi.../dp/B00TIX50OQ or http://www.amazon.com/Fiberyum-IMO-S.../dp/B00XQMAC48

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/10...ing-vitafiber/

There are form fitting silicone molds in bar shapes on amazon to make the molding process easier. You don't have to manipulate the mold as much. Just press down with a spoon.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-CB-104RD-6-Cavity-Cornbread-Cheesecake/dp/B003VFUY0C

Freshware CB-104RD if the link doesn't work
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I looked at the ingredients on Quest bars, tweaked it and make my own. Much cheaper and you know exactly what's in it.
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 8,032 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars. 20 grams of whey protein, cheaper than Quest bars. The chocolate peanut butter are the best. Have some fruit or veggies to round out your meal. :-)
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Thanks deff will do that. Ive just got some bars before and of course all the ones I bought tasted horrible. So would be nice to try before you buy.
  • alexislucas84
    alexislucas84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really like low carb supreme protein bar. There pretty low in sugar and taste like a candy bar. There larger in size compared to most as well. 30 grams of protein so very satisfying.
  • 10inprogress
    Options
    With all this talk of Pure Protein bars, I took a look at the macro content and noticed they do have a fairly high level of protein compared to Clif bars. I tried some Pure Protein awhile back (Chocolate Delux) and hated the taste. I love the taste of Clif bars, but as I am trying to increase protein consumption, I'm looking for other alternatives. Quest was suggested because of the higher protein content.

I almost want to take a day and use my calories to taste various brands/flavors to find something that tastes good and is higher in protein.

I tried the Chewy Chocolate Chip variety and no lie, it tastes luscious! I just had a Quest Cookies and Cream bar earlier today and the PP just blows it away in my book!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome, but expensive. I buy Pure Protein and Oh Yeah! bars at Costco.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like the Perfect Food Brand bars sold at Costco. The almond butter flavor is great and at 305 calories, they are a good stand in for a regular breakfast. I often have a 2 hour commute into work and eat one in the car..
  • 10inprogress
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    I like the Perfect Food Brand bars sold at Costco. The almond butter flavor is great and at 305 calories, they are a good stand in for a regular breakfast. I often have a 2 hour commute into work and eat one in the car..

That's quite a chunk of calories for a bar!!! Does that feel you up and keep you satiated?
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »

That's quite a chunk of calories for a bar!!! Does that feel you up and keep you satiated?

Yes! Quite full! I eat one around 6 when driving in then nothing until lunch at noon as I'm just not hungry. It's packed full of veggies too (you can't taste them). It's not my ideal meal but in a pinch when I'm traveling, they're a great option for me.