Pain in matatarsal (pad under toes) after walking.

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
Anyone else experiencing this? Its the pad of skin right under your second toe beside the big toe. Usually its a callios in that spot. I ordered some pads, toe spacers and orthotics from amazon. Anything you do to relive the pain would be helpful.

Replies

• RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you're talking about.

When I get these sore spots, I usually take a couple minutes and rub those "callouses" or whatever they are and try to break them up as if they were knots in my back. I don't know if this is good or back for them, but they always feel a little better after doing this and letting them rest for a little bit.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My second toe is longer than my big toe so i have continues problems with it when i exercise if i don't keep the nails trimmed down enough but no real problems with the pads underneath.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I get it because the bone on my right leg is twisted and I correct it by twisting my hip, and as a result everything including my knee is out of whack. I also walk on my toes because of foreshortened tendons in my foot and leg which I think exacerbates the problem. Mine can get so bad that I literally can't even put my foot down and it feels like the bones are literally on each other, which they probably are.

If I were you I'd go see a good podiatrist asap. Stuff like this only gets worse, which I find out every year....I would never order my own orthotics off of amazon.
  • br3adman
    Options
    I think I know what you're talking about.

When I get these sore spots, I usually take a couple minutes and rub those "callouses" or whatever they are and try to break them up as if they were knots in my back. I don't know if this is good or back for them, but they always feel a little better after doing this and letting them rest for a little bit.

Thanks Im trying that now that also added ice!
  • br3adman
    Options
    I have this problem. I get it because the bone on my right leg is twisted and I correct it by twisting my hip, and as a result everything including my knee is out of whack. I also walk on my toes because of foreshortened tendons in my foot and leg which I think exacerbates the problem. Mine can get so bad that I literally can't even put my foot down and it feels like the bones are literally on each other, which they probably are.

If I were you I'd go see a good podiatrist asap. Stuff like this only gets worse, which I find out every year....I would never order my own orthotics off of amazon.

I never had the problem until I started walking over 7k steps a day. My mother went to the podiatrist in my town for bunions and spent over $800 with no relief (and she had insurance). If these orthotics don't work I'll have to find a Dr in a different town for sure. I'm researching all I can about the foot tho since I'm off work lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Wider toe box shoes
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    In addition to metatarsal pads, wear shoes without a raised heel. Most shoes have a raised heel, which puts more stress on the forefoot. Try walking skateboard shoes or other comfortable pair of "zero heel" shoes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get this, do you get numb toes as well? Ot almost feels like I have a bone spur in the pad of my foot. Very annoying. I thought they had gone away until I got new shoes and they're back.
  • tararooksby
    tararooksby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If it's pain and numbness that's a neuroma. Pads will help and rest will help with the inflamed nerve. I got one from overuse. It did go away with rest.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I recently got over this. It was PAINFUL for a while. In my case I was about 10 miles in to a 14 mile hike and started getting blisters on the side of my heal. I adjusted my step to take the pressure off it, but in doing so, put abnormal pressure on my metatarsals. It took me about a month to get over and even then it still comes back from time to time, though no where near as bad as at first.

Some of the things that I did that really helped:

1. Naproxen Sodium (Aleve). For me, this worked better than ibrupofen. Even on days my foot felt better, I'd still take it on a regular basis.
    2. Ice. One trick I came up with was to freeze a half liter bottle of water, lay it on the floor, and roll the ball of my foot over it. Do this as frequently as you can. I even did this at work.
    3. Pay attention to how you walk. I found that if I delay when I push off with that food, it lessened the pain. I was pushing more forward then before. It's kind of hard to describe.
    4. Try running in properly fitted shoes. As my foot started to get bitter, I happen to start running. I went to a running store and had them analyze my gait and set me up with a $150 pair of Brooks. I wasn't sure how it would go, but I was surprised to find out that my metatarsals hurt much less running than they did walking. Sometimes they wouldn't hurt at all when running.
    5. Just take it easy. Cut back on the walking until the condition improves. If you're like me, it's very hard to do that.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If it's pain and numbness that's a neuroma.

This foot surgeon disagrees: :+1:
    http://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/why-metatarsalgia-may-not-be-what-it-seems
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with the wider toe box. It fixed this for me unless I go way over my normal limit.
  • br3adman
    Options
    I get this, do you get numb toes as well? Ot almost feels like I have a bone spur in the pad of my foot. Very annoying. I thought they had gone away until I got new shoes and they're back.

No I don't get numb toes just pain-swelling in the pad under the second toe on my right foot. From what I've researched ice,rest cotizone shots,pads and proper shoes can fix it. I took off yesterday didn't move and applied ice its feeling better today!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and was told it was a subluxation of the metatarsal. I was doing Insanity and T25 which they think the jumping may have contributed to it. It eventually got better, but occasionally I will notice it. You can use a pad that you put in your shoe (looks like a triangle) which pushes the metatarsal up. It helps. One bit of advice - don't let anyone cut on your feet unless it is debilitating.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a Morton's neuroma. You may need to see your podiatrist.