Gains

Options
stevengoins024
stevengoins024 Posts: 10 Member
What's up everybody! New to the app, but not to fitness and exercise. I'm a skinny guy and a hardgainer, im working on gaining 40 lbs. I started off weighing about 140. So I'm going on week 2, and I weigh about 142. I'm starting off slow, with low weight and high reps. My calorie intake is about 3100 calories per day. My body now has the proper foundation and knowledge to build on pounds of lean muscle. Having this I will begin to increase weight load, exercise difficulty, and interval lenghts. I'll update results as they happen, always down to make new friends! TX

Replies

• BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    40 pounds? You're in for the long haul. Good luck.
  • stevengoins024
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Shootin for a new lifestyle, an thanks!
  • BradW99
    Options
    That it is. Just be patient, consistent, and never let up.
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    Word
  • amorello0306
    amorello0306 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight less reps!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    IMO you may want to mix in a couple cut cycles to help balance out your fat gains….assuming 1:1 ratio forty pounds means that you are going to have 20 pounds of muscle and 20 pounds of fat.

What is your current training regimen?

do you know your current body fat%?
  • BradW99
    Options
    Moderate weight higher reps if you want to grow. Heavy weight less reps for strength. C'mon now we all know this.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    Moderate weight higher reps if you want to grow. Heavy weight less reps for strength. C'mon now we all know this.

Lol you would think so...,
  • khoy_1
    khoy_1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey good luck with you're gains, thats one long journey.
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    IMO you may want to mix in a couple cut cycles to help balance out your fat gains….assuming 1:1 ratio forty pounds means that you are going to have 20 pounds of muscle and 20 pounds of fat.

Jeff mastersons weightgain blueprint program, and no not currently.
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    khoy_1 wrote: »
    Hey good luck with you're gains, thats one long journey.

I'm in it for the long run, preciate it!^
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »

True^^
  • ndj1979
    Options

OK - because usually you don't want to start a bulk until you are about 15% or lower because it then takes longer to cut and if you start at a higher BF% it can hamper your gains, but as you are 19 and I don't see the later part being an issue.

But I would definitely suggest you break this up to into several bulk/cut cycles….I think if you go for a 20 pounds on one bulk, you are not going to be happy at the end…just my opinion.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

OK - because usually you don't want to start a bulk until you are about 15% or lower because it then takes longer to cut and if you start at a higher BF% it can hamper your gains, but as you are 19 and I don't see the later part being an issue.

But I would definitely suggest you break this up to into several bulk/cut cycles….I think if you go for a 20 pounds on one bulk, you are not going to be happy at the end…just my opinion.

+1
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

+1

quick edit, I meant 40 pounds as that is what OP indicated, not 20
  • BradW99
    Options
    I cut down to 8-10% then I'll get get back up to 20-22%.
  • tampaterror865
    tampaterror865 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
    I just got back in the gym myself. I had shoulder surgery last year. I have been working out for a week and gained five pounds. I am on a 3,500 calorie diet. I went from 179 to 184.6 pounds. My goal is to reach 200. I am eating good clean calories, but an advice for you is to make homemade shakes with milk, protein, banana, peanut butter, and oatmeal. 950 calories, buy clean and healthy ones. That shake has 70 grams of protein. Staying healthy by eating and exercising can be expensive, so 2-3 shakes a day along with food can keep you on your goal of 40 pounds.
  • bber2014
    bber2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Using this app will definitely help the weight gain and to monitor the increased calories you will need. Make sure your macros include plenty of protein with a steady supply all day
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    Good luck.
    I just got back in the gym myself. I had shoulder surgery last year. I have been working out for a week and gained five pounds. I am on a 3,500 calorie diet. I went from 179 to 184.6 pounds. My goal is to reach 200. I am eating good clean calories, but an advice for you is to make homemade shakes with milk, protein, banana, peanut butter, and oatmeal. 950 calories, buy clean and healthy ones. That shake has 70 grams of protein. Staying healthy by eating and exercising can be expensive, so 2-3 shakes a day along with food can keep you on your goal of 40 pounds.

Preciate it man, and yeah that sounds good, and yes eating good is a lil pricey, I'll keep that in mind!
  • stevengoins024
    Options
    bber2014 wrote: »
    Using this app will definitely help the weight gain and to monitor the increased calories you will need. Make sure your macros include plenty of protein with a steady supply all day
    Cool I'll keep that in mind