Food, Baby, and... more baby?

Options
I had an ultrasound and blood work done at 5 weeks 6 days. This is really 3 weeks and 6 days from conception. They ran the ultrasound, found my baby and did blood work. My hcg was too high. It was 24,980. The highest it should have been was 7,000. My doctor mentioned twins but said we'd wait another 5 weeks till my next ultrasound to find out. My gut feelings told me twins before I even went to the appointment.

My question is, how should I eat differently? Should I eat basing it off of just 1? Or should I prepare for 2?

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would do the following.

1. eat until you aren't hungry - so if you are hungrier, eat more. But if you are not, I would not bother.
    2. I would eat foods that are nutrient dense as you can, so that whatever you can eat gives you the biggest bang for your buck.

And I say this because often, with the higher hcg readings, you may get hit with really, really intense morning sickness, unfortunately. So get what nutrients you can in, now, you know?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    In the first trimester, even if there were twins, you shouldn't be adding any additional calories. You should be eating at maintenance. It's not until the 2nd & 3rd trimesters that you should add calories.

FYI - I've knows quite a few women with EXTREMELY high HCG numbers and had singleton pregnancies. High HCG can be an indication of twins but it's not guaranteed. After your ultrasound, I'd discuss calorie needs with your OB.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Its something like 500 cal per baby or something I forget. But its not necessary at this point yet. Eat as you feel hungry and eat healthy whole foods.
  • JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have heard 300 extra cals a day. Approx 500 extra when breastfeeding.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance until the second trimester, then up it (twins or no- and you'll know by then). Even weight loss is normal in the first trimester. I lost fifteen pounds in the first trimester of my first pregnancy, then gained twenty-five before delivering a month early (otherwise would have been closer to thirty). That's pretty typical and healthy.

Don't make the mistake of upping calories too much due to pregnancy. Your doctor will be able to recommend specific numbers (it's hard to say without knowing your body and medical needs). I say this because I used the "eating for two" excuse with my second as a free pass to shove goodies in my face, and wound up gaining a total of fifty pounds, of which only fifteen or so were pregnancy-related (baby, fluids, etc). What a headache it was to lose!!

Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This early, you should not be eating any extra calories at all.