Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

GNC Supplements, Proteins

I am in maintenance mode (really could lose about 10-15 lbs) and have been lifting, strength training (modified SL 5x5) for the last 6 months. Looking to build strength, muscle and maybe a little size, especially in chest area.

Post workouts have been GNC Total Lean Shakes 25 plus I do 1/3 or 1/2 serving of the GNC Amp Wheybolic Protein to the shake. I also take GNC Mega Men Energy & Metabolism vita pak. I just bought the Pro Performance Strength Vita pak since I am lifting more.

Anyone familiar with GNC or supplements to assess if I am doing this right or would recommend something else? I see the mass gainer or proteins with creatine but I don't want to add bulk.

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    It is fashionable to bash GNC with some

Their store brand stuff is usually a knock off of a competitor and the sales person will point you to both

I have been doing morning protein drinks and occasionally a pre workout drink if I am feeling a little tired from a long day.

I do the GNC ripped 2 scoops pre weight day. I like the Gold Standard protein, which is one they copy.

I watch my calories from shakes only because they are my very filling to me so I don't drink the mass gainers.

Have you been to muscle fitness web site and taken the body type quiz?

It can give you some ideas on what workouts best traditionally work for your body type.

Good luck and bust it.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Have you been to muscle fitness web site and taken the body type quiz?

It can give you some ideas on what workouts best traditionally work for your body type.

Good luck and bust it.
    Thanks, I have never heard of that website so I will definitely take a look at it.

I have made nice progress but I wonder if I could do better
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    I personally prefer to eat my calories, and have no problem getting enough protein through food. Protein is really just a way to supplement you intake if you can't eat enough... Mass gainers are good if you can't get in enough calories. Creatine isn't going to make you fat - it may cause you to hold water - but you can likely buy a separate creatine supplements instead of one mixed in to protein.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    What time is your workout? If it isn't the first thing you do before eating, nor the last thing you do at night without eating, you probably have no need to chug down a protein shake afterwards - just have adequate daily protein.
    GNC is fine. Whey Protein is whey protein is whey protein. It is so generic and commodity that the only real difference is the companies that try to use fillers on it. As far as I'm aware, GNC isn't one of the companies accused of using fillers, but they are in on the filler law suit because of selling brands that do use the fillers. Honestly, I think GNC gets attached to every law suit for any supplement, possibly even if they don't sell it.
  • Wookinpanub
    senecarr wrote: »
    What time is your workout? If it isn't the first thing you do before eating, nor the last thing you do at night without eating, you probably have no need to chug down a protein shake afterwards - just have adequate daily protein.

I workout first thing in morning (1 1/2 hr workouts) then come home and do a protein shake (Meal Replacement Lean Shake 25, add some fruit and 1/2 serving of additional protein). It is easier than doing a quick bowl of cereal (little protein) or taking the time to make eggs (more protein). Plus they are really good.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    The main issue with GNC is that their prices are astronomical and the quality/flavor of their products do not necessarily stand up to other competitors that sell more affordable and similar, if not better options. Their sales reps are also good for nothing and know chit all. They are simply trained to pitch the products. Nothing more.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The main issue with GNC is that their prices are astronomical and the quality/flavor of their products do not necessarily stand up to other competitors that sell more affordable and similar, if not better options. Their sales reps are also good for nothing and know chit all. They are simply trained to pitch the products. Nothing more.

I don't know if they necessarily push any certain product. They are in business to sell things, though. If the sales reps there didn't try to sell their supplies, GNC wouldn't be in business very long. I do think their prices are rather high even with my Gold card so I try to shop around before I go into a GNC store for something.
  • Wookinpanub
    Are there other stores you recommend for meal replacement shakes, protein, vitamins/supplements?

I always purchase when my items are on sale with Gold Card so it seems I am getting a good deal compared to the "sticker" price.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I order a lot from Bodybuilding.com. They run pretty awesome sale and are pretty on par with GNC or Vitamin Shoppe price wise.

I only go into GNC if I know my brother is working because he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to supplements.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

I don't know if they necessarily push any certain product. They are in business to sell things, though. If the sales reps there didn't try to sell their supplies, GNC wouldn't be in business very long. I do think their prices are rather high even with my Gold card so I try to shop around before I go into a GNC store for something.

What about when the sales reps recommendations are based on misguided and incorrect information? (which is most often the case) - If you didn't know any better, they will have you buying an expensive pre, intra, and post workout along with 2 different types of protein powders and a bunch of useless fat burners all the while claiming that these supplements are crucial to your success. Just shop at bodybuilding.com ~ they carry better products and your wallet will thank you.
  • Wookinpanub
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I order a lot from Bodybuilding.com. They run pretty awesome sale and are pretty on par with GNC or Vitamin Shoppe price wise.

I only go into GNC if I know my brother is working because he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to supplements.
    I will check it out. Are you familiar with the vitapaks? What would you recommend?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »

I will check it out. Are you familiar with the vitapaks? What would you recommend?

I personally don't like the vitapacks because I hate swallowing pills. I took the Women's ripped not too long ago, and the Niacin in it made me very itchy and the I couldn't swallow the CLA pills because they were too big. so basically the vitapack was useless to me. I take a standard multivitamin ( and its chewable :D ) and biotin.
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    It is fashionable to bash GNC with some

With GNC you're mostly paying extra so you can say you shop at GNC. You can find quality supplements that are vastly more affordable by browsing stores or looking online. You can usually find really good deals on Bodybuilding.com.